Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katymp_gw

Backsplash help needed for cherry shaker cabinets

KatyMP
12 years ago

Happy 4th of July to everyone. Thank you to everyone for your wonderful information on this website. This is my first post. We recently have installed Kemper cherry shaker cabinets - full overlay. Friday our granite - White Springs - was installed. We have a truffle blanco, cascade sink. We will be using stainless handles for the cabinets. All stainless appliances will go in next week- GE Cafe dual fuel range, french door fridge, Sharp MW drawer, and bosch DW (this will be paneled). We are going for a calm, tranquil more contemporary look and feel. I am really stuck on the backsplash. Have been looking at Sonoma Tile - subways - glossy trebeca bossy gray, and also Sonoma Stellar in smoke crackle (but this looks more taupe to me. I don't want to be too boring, but also am afraid with variation in the floor and the granite, I should keep the backsplash simple. Also would like to maybe consider some stainless tiles behind the stove, however not sure if with the floor and the granite, if I should just stay with something plain.

As I look at these pictues, though, I realize maybe I have too much gray....maybe the backsplash should be another color?

Here are the cabinets after the White springs granite was installed

A closer picture of the granite with the Blanco sink

and our floors are a gray/taupe porcelain

Here is the granite with our very small sample of Sonoma Tile, glossy in bossy gray.

Any and all help and suggestions are gratefully appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonoma Tilemakers

Comments (9)

• enduring
    12 years ago

I'd avoid getting a tile that looked like you were trying to match the sink (but missed by a smidgen). With the selections you have I prefer the subway on the left. Your cabinets are lovely and so is your granite.

Have you seen "Peach's Typhoon Bordeaux - BS revisited with new pics/ideas" tread? Read it through and you will see the process she went through...and then BOOM, she brings out this dark glass tile that really sings with what she has.

The work that goes on here is an amazing process; best of luck and have fun with the process!

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I agree with enduring. Don't match the sink. Another vote for the subway tile.

• marieskit
    12 years ago

Love the cascade sink! I think a creamy subway would allow the sink to stand on its own. Can I ask what you used on your floor?

• pagesturned
    12 years ago

I'm also curious about the floor!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Truffle looks great with your granite. I think that's the first one I've seen installed in a real home. Cool!

The floor is busy so if it were my kitchen, I'd choose a calm tile to go with the granite. I always seem to lean that way though. Enduring has a good point about the color of the tile needing to be different enough from the sink so the color choice looks intentional.

• KatyMP
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marieskit and pagesturned: The floor is a porcelain tile Monocibec Graal Montesegur. We used it in the kitchen and the adjoining hallway. So far we really love the look of it. We used a random pattern with 3 different sizes of tiles.
    Thank you all so much for the comments and help with the backsplash. I will start looking at creamy subways. The subway in the picture is actually a Sonama tile in Cirrus -which has a green cast and is a crackle. I have one small sample of a white tile, but may be too white.
    Breezygirl thanks for the comment about the sink. It was actually this forum that made me look at the cascade sink. When I asked about it at the plumbing supply store we used, they had not even seen that model yet. We also ordered the optional grid for the bottom of the sink. I am anxious to get the faucet installed to actually get to use the sink. We have a grohe lady lux pro going in on Tuesday. I think I will really love how nice and deep the sink is.
    Thoughts for creamy subways - should I pursue a crackle or just a glossy tile. Also any thoughts on using stainless tiles to do an accent area behind the stove? Do I need a little "bling" in the kitchen or will it just be too busy?
    Thanks again

• sayde
    12 years ago

I would use a plain tile, not crackle. You have plenty going on. Would keep it very simple.

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

My vote is for the subway as well. When I asked for BS ideas here, many helpful GW's advised me that the BS should be understated so your countertop can be the star. Two sites recommended here was Adex and Jeffery Court, if that helps. Are you going to tile all the way around your gorgeous window? I'd love to see a pic of that view.

• champe
    8 years ago

KatyMP, what backsplash tile did you finally choose? I have cherry cabinets and just installed White Springs granite. Debating between Sonoma Bossy gray and Creamy Crackle. May I ask where you found the flooring tiles? Thanks!