Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabinet paint brand - local options limited!

Posted by thecatzmeow (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 14:07

After doing a lot of reading, I *thought* I had settled on Ben Moore Advanced... but I cannot find it ANYWHERE within an hour of me!

Part of what was drawing me to the Advanced was the low-VOCs. We have young children in the house and minimizing the stench of painting is high on the priority list. We can't logistically or financially afford to just move out for a few days while it dries!

Should I just order it online or does someone else have a good suggestion of a minimal-stinky paint that will dry hard for cabinets?

Primer suggestions also welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabinet paint brand - local options limited!

I personally like the new Behr Premium Plus Ultra in the satin finish. It doesn't eliminate the necessity of a good traditional oil based stain blocking primer underneath, but it does cure to a hard wearing durable finish. And it has good coverage. I've had several clients use the Heavy Cream on their cabinets, with one going back 5 years to when it was first introduced. No problems, as long as you let it have enough time to cure. If you're looking for something less creamy, and brighter, Painter's White is about as neutral of an off white as you can get.

o

I just painted a sample cabinet with Cabinet Coat, and it is holding up very well to my toddler climbing in and out of the cabinet and slamming the it against the adjoining wall. I got it from the BM store, but I believe you can also get it at the big boxes.

o

Thank you! How were the odors on these paints?

o

I painted only one door, and did it in my shed, so did not notice much odor from the Cabinet Coat. But it might be a lot stonger inside and over a larger area.

o

I painted only one door, and did it in my shed, so did not notice much odor from the Cabinet Coat. But it might be a lot stonger inside and over a larger area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here