Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kacee2002_gw

Which one?

kacee2002
9 years ago

Help me decide please.
In either of these plans the dishwasher will be moved to next to the sink, not at the side as shown. Also the wall to the right of the sink between the entry and kitchen will be extended.
Thanks

This post was edited by kacee2002 on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 14:07

Comments (12)

• kacee2002
    Original Author
    9 years ago

or this one

• kacee2002
    Original Author
    9 years ago

or this one?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

The top one. I think you would really dislike the prep sink jutting out on the J-shaped islands.

• kacee2002
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I think you might be right. Choosing between 1st and 3rd really.....

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

I think the first is by far the better plan of the 3. I don't see the point with the odd-shaped island (and I have one!).

• Susan St. Pierre
    9 years ago

#1 would be my clear first choice. #3 would be a distant second choice. And I would never do #2 because I don't like cooktops on islands.

1 is so much more open than 3. The aisles are straight, no weird nooks and crannies. With each corner you add, you're adding a blind corner, too, which means wasted or at the very least less accessible storage.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

For all the reasons Susie mentioned, I'd also vote for #1.

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

Except for cooking shows which line up all ingredients in advance, work triangles work better when fridge and stove are convenient to each other.

This is why i dont like 1 nor 3 with both not close and separated by an entryway.

That leaves #2.
    Two issues are storage pushed into corner and prep sink where a landing spot for cooking from range & fridge should be.

ON NUMBER TWO I would
    > center range on island
    > shift wall oven back
    > switch prep sink to opposite side.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

What is "UP" from the island area? If it were me, I'd want to get the cooktop in the dead-end--not the sink. And, since I don't know what is "above" the area drawn, I am uncertain about the likelihood of people walking through my work space.

• LARemodel
    9 years ago

I like layout #1 best. It's a U-shape, which is the most efficient use of space

I don't like #2 - range top on the island - it means putting a big vent hood over the island, plus it widens the cooking splatter zone.

The zig-zag path in both layouts #2 and #3 look awkward. Having the wall ovens around the corner means that cabinets will be blocked when oven doors are open

• nmjen
    9 years ago

#1, for sure. I actually have a very similar layout in my kitchen, and it works really well and allows for good flow. It also works very well for multiple people in the kitchen.

In mine, though, the fridge is just across the aisle from the island--I wonder if that might work better for you (i.e., swap its position in the "U"). One consideration we had was if someone just wants to grab something from the fridge, it is easiest if the fridge is easily accessible from the adjoining room. Of course, depending upon where exactly the DW is situated, moving the fridge could create problems in terms of being able to open doors, etc.

Another option, if you're set on the offset island sink, is to combine #1 and #3, and have the offset island sink but the wall ovens along the same wall as the cooktop.

• amykath
    9 years ago

The first one hands down!