Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

Need pics of 30" sink base with disposal and trash pullout!

My crew doesn't believe it is possible. I know that there are some here but I am not finding them right now. He needs to see photographic evidence.

I had told them that my sink would have the drain offset into the corner, but they deny having heard me, and when they redid the plumbing put it back into the center.
Not a big problem, I haven't gotten the sink yet and can get one with the drain in the middle rear instead.

Either way, they don't believe that I will be able to get both a GD and a trash pullout in there. I think that I will be able to have it all, including pullouts on both sides! Help!

Comments (19)

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

You don't need photographic evidence. You need to measure the available space, and what's going in it. That will tell you, and them, if it is possible. Don't forget that the depth of the sink will make a difference, since the trash pullout will most likely be under the majority of the sink.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I certainly did work the measurements when planning. I have the proper container and pullout size.

These are stubborn old coots, and they want pictures.

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

Then make them a sketch. A photograph won't help you, since the dimensions won't be on it, and even if they were, most likely they wouldn't match your dimensions. It's very easy to put in a trash pullout. You can do it yourself, it's just a couple of screws in the bottom of the cabinet. Just tell them they have to put the plumbing (drain and supply) beyond whatever point you dictate. Physically show them that point. Better yet, install the trash pullout before the plumbing goes in, and then there's no confusion about where the plumbing can go.

This post was edited by catbuilder on Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 22:28

• woodenconcepts
    10 years ago

Sounds like you need a new crew :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, there have been a few hiccups but overall they have done a good job so far!

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Edited ... posted in error.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 11:05

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Raee - I don't have a photo, but have a similar story. I told my KD that I wanted two pull outs under the sink (30") for trash and recycles. I nixed the suggestion of using a dedicated cab. I told her I was confident in her abilities to make it happen. Any photos you receive I may have to use as well. I know it's possible. Good luck!

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Google to find several previous gardenweb threads on this. Also, try ikeafans.com as some searches turned up photos from that site.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, debrak and jellytoast. I did keep searching (it took many tries) and finally came up with the original one that I had in mind from ikeafans and 2 others not so good from GW. If you have any really good examples though, please post them

Mgoblue85, here is a link to one of them! (even though you seem to have an affiliation with that school up north ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: pic from ikeafans

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Oh, THOSE kind of pullouts! I thought you were talking about the kind that go in under the cabinet, like catbuilder was talking about. Carry on. :-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Or, catbuilder, I could just install the GD myself.

Today the issue is, the corner cabinet won't fit through the 29.5" kitchen door. The cabinet maker built it with the top on; to my eye if they just remove that top, then the unit can be tilted to get just enough clearance and rotated through. "No, that won't work, if that would work I would have done it that way before now"

So they removed the door framing to try to make room. Still didn't fit. So now they are trying to cut down the corners a bit without damaging the integrity of the case.

When that doesn't work I will suggest cutting out the top. Again.

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

You could install the garbage disposal yourself. I thought the problem was, though, that they hadn't put the rough plumbing in yet, or put it in the wrong place.

Original Author
    10 years ago

They did put it in the wrong place (sort of) when they fixed the old pipe in the wall. It is in its original spot, centered in the cabinet wall, which would still work for a corner drain, wouldn't it? but they say that they don't want to do that. That is okay, I am not married to the corner-drain sink, I can live with it.

No, the problem is that they don't believe that a GD and a trash pullout will both fit into a 30" cabinet.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, GWlolo! That is perfect. And, what I can see of your counter and cabinets is absolutely beautiful!

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

Glad to help. I got a lot of advice from this forum to push for this. Stick to your guns :) It is your money and your kitchen and you should have it your way!

• bkinna63
    8 years ago

Where are those SS trash /recycling cans from gwlolo? Can you give me the measurements? I'm in the same dilemma

• homepro01
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Bkinna63,

the stainless cans gwlolo has is from Rev-a-Shelf. Several sites sell it.

Good luck!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

"Today the issue is, the corner cabinet won't fit through the 29.5" kitchen door."

That's got "rookie mistake" written all over it. Not as bad as a granite top fabricator folding cardboard templates to get down a stairway or an architect specifying a 14' long back island for the second floor of a retail store with a 12' long freight elevator, but rookie none the less.