Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerzeegirl_gw

Stain on my crackle tile - any thoughts on what to do?

jerzeegirl
9 years ago

I had a mango in a plastic bag on the countertop and I was waiting for it to ripen. Unfortunately, not only did it ripen but it must have eaten away the plastic bag which was pushed up against my backsplash.

Now I have a dark spot on the tile about the size of a nickel. It's Sonoma Star-Tribeca crackle tile. I always thought the tile was sealed but now I am wondering if it wasn't.

The stain was very bad at first, but I worked on it with a number of cleaners and got it to fade quite a bit. I used oxy-bleach, regular bleach, oxalic acid, citric acid and hydrogen peroxide. I also used some Aquamix Heavy Duty Cleaner and Stain Remover.

I was wondering if any of you have any additional ideas about how to get this spot out totally.

I could ask my tile guy to remove the offending tile and replace it when he comes to do my bathroom but I would rather not go that route.

Comments (14)

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Good God!
    Talk about a durable tile!
    If that tile can take all those hugely abrasive, corrosive cleaners, you picked a good one.

The size of a nickel. Really, I have to ask. Are you seeing the trees and not the forest? Is anyone else now noticing without you pointing it out?

One last idea. Make a paste out of the hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Put it on and try to keep it moist.

I'd love to see a picture.

• jerzeegirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lol. I still have a box of tile left and I do like to experiment! It's for kitchen science, ya know.

Anyway, here's the picture. I guess I have gotten it down to dime size - it was much bigger last night when I first saw it. I am going to try the baking soda and peroxide. I used both of those things last night, but separately - maybe the paste will be the charm. I also used Ceramabryte (for cooktops) and I can tell that was working (contains citric acid).

Thank heaven for small favors -at least no stains on the countertop!

• eam44
    9 years ago

It seems to have stained your grout too. You are probably using the right stuff. You may need to leave the poultice overnight to penetrate, just like your mango did, slowly. Try to keep it wet.

• jerzeegirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think the grout is stained - it was just wet because I wiped off the oxyclean before taking the picture. I'm having trouble figuring out how to keep it wet. Gotta find some tape to stick to the tile so I can cover it with plastic wrap.

Just wanted to add:

I made the Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda poultice and amazingly Glad Press and Seal stuck right to the wall with no tape needed.

This post was edited by jerzeegirl on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 19:42

• jerzeegirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CEF: Thank you for your poultice formula! It appears to be working. The stain is way lighter than it used to be - it's just very difficult trying to keep it moist.

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

Got any painter's tape to hold it on there?

• vdinli
    9 years ago

jerzeegirl, What are your counters? I am on hunt for a light countertop that doesn't stain and yours certainly passes that test if it didn't get stained by mangoes.
    Looks like you are on the right road to get the stain off your backsplash.
    Thanks

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Vin under, it wasn't the countertop that got stained by the mangoes, it was the backsplash tile.

• jerzeegirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The stain is almost completely gone! Thanks all for your help and suggestions!!! The poultice that did the trick was hydrogen peroxide and baking soda in a paste left on overnight. I followed it up with a paste of Oxyclean and water. To clean up at the end used Dawn. The tile appears to be in excellent condition with no etching or loss of color from any of the products I used.

Vinudev: My counters are Brushed Typhoon Bordeaux and I honestly have no idea if they were ever sealed, but nothing seems to stain them (and we do not baby them at all). We have had them about a year and a half.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

That's the formula for whitening teeth once a month. I figured teeth - tile - what's the difference!

I have to say that stain looked like part of the countertop! At least in the picture, it didn't bother me at all.

Go figure! :)
    Glad that worked.

• jerzeegirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

haha! Now that the tile bleach has been so successful, I might try it for my teeth too!

• eam44
    9 years ago

So, now would be a great time to seal. I would follow bill vincent's advice from an earlier post on crackle tile. He's a pro.

"Any one of the same sealers normally used for granite or grout will work fine-- the Miracle 511 Impregnator, Aquamix Sealers Choice Gold, or the Stone Tech Impregnator Pro."

Here is a link that might be useful: crackle tile sealing post

• jerzeegirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks EAM. I am going to ask my tile installer (who Bill V referred to me) to seal it when he comes to do my bathroom in two weeks. I am sure it was sealed when it was installed but totally forgot that crackle tile continues to crackle and therefore needs to be sealed again. I am just really thankful that the counter didn't get stained since there was mango juice all over it and it had clearly been there for awhile. A tile can be replaced - a counter not so much.