Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I get good, real wood drawer organizers?

Posted by staceyneil (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 1, 09 at 13:54

My new cabinets have gorgeous maple drawers, and I cannot bear to cover them up with plastic cutlery trays! The only wooden ones I can find have chipbard or melamine bottoms and only use (cheap) wood on the sides.

Has anyone found any nicely made hardwood organizers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I get good, real wood drawer organizers?

I found wood drawer inserts at Bed, Bath & Beyond, Marshall's and TJ Maxx. I got simple flatware ones as well as a couple that expand to go in my utensil drawers. Some were bamboo and some were another wood, but they were reasonably priced too.

Hope you are enjoying your marble and the rest of your kitchen. :-)

o

I got a gorgeous bamboo flatware organizer from Target - beautifully made (and inexpensive). I augmented it with some bamboo single-compartment organizers.

o

I looked and was unable to find nicely made hardwood drawer organizers. So I made some that really turned out well. And the woodworking skills needed are easy enough that even a beginner woodworker can do an excellent job.

o

Bob, are those based in the Lee Valley brackets? I know they have thingies that are similar, but I'm not sure if they look that good.

o

I was just looking at these at the weekend on the Rev A Shelf website. They have wooden ones that can be trimmed to fit. Also extra dividers so you can add two for a larger drawer. They also have Bamboo ones that can be trimmed to fit I believe. I am going to look into them some more as I like the idea of having them fit the drawers exactly.

Good luck.

Tina

o

I used the Lee Valley brackets and wood strips I bought from Lowe's and Bob is right. I'm about as beginner as you can get but I was able to create custom wood dividers for my drawers. And I love them. They look great.

Here is a link that might be useful: lee valley brackets

o

those drawers look really nice! I'm going to have to try to make some for my drawers.

o

Meridian makes them in custom sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meridian custom drawer organizers

o

i got some teak ones from bed bath and beyond. they are nice.

o

It's a fairly easy DIY project if you have a dadoe blade for a table saw.

o

Fori, yes, Bob_cville used the Lee Valley brackets for his dividers -- I'd been wondering about them and when Bob posted his pics earlier, I was thrilled to hear and see how well they worked. He really did a beautiful job!

After I get the rest of the house organized (read: unpacked) I'll be ordering LV brackets.

o

I was planning to try these, myself: http://orderlydrawer.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: custom wood drawer inserts

o

Thanks folks- lots of good ideas to look into!

o

Here are pix of my drawers. I was so happy to be able to customize my dividers. However I didn't want to hammer the brackets into the wood of the drawers and make holes. So I created a frame for each drawer as you can see if you look closely. In effect,the entire divider complex can be lifted out of each drawer with no damage or visible remnants in the drawer.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

could someone provide a link to those Lee Valley brackets. I just spent 15 minutes on their web site and couldn't find them! thanks

o

lowspark, that is a great idea about using a frame for the entire drawer. That would make it so easy to clean. Thanks for the pics!
Andrea

o

This one is from Ikea.

From drawer

o

splais,
I did link it in my first post above.

o

Great idea on the frame for the entire drawer. I am always amazed at all the great ideas I pick up from this site!
S

o

As several people have confirmed, the drawer dividers I made use the Lee Valley brackets. I also used 1/4" thick 4" wide poplar boards from Lowe's.

So all I needed to do was rip the boards to width (I used a table saw, but you could probably use a circular saw and a straight edge.) And then carefully cut the boards to length (I used a sliding miter saw, but you could also use a miter box and a sharp hand saw, or a square and a circular saw.)

Most of the dividers are about 3 1/2" tall, but for the silverware dividers, I made them about 2" tall to make reaching the silverware easier.

I also considered making frames within the drawer like lowspark did, but I decided that I like the look without frames. Also even if I decide to remove the dividers, the holes made by the sharp prongs on the brass dividers are small enough that they'd probably never be noticed.

o

bump

o

Has anyone used the wood dividers from rev a shelf, combined with the brackets from Lee Valley? Just wondering how the dividers shown in the picture stay in place.

Here is a link that might be useful: rev a shelf drawer dividers

o

bump

o

Great post. What type of wood do you buy? I'm not sure if i will get the brackets from Lee Valley as I don't want to make holes in my drawer.

Any links on how to make these yourself?

o

What type of wood do you buy? I'm not sure if i will get the brackets from Lee Valley as I don't want to make holes in my drawer.
Any links on how to make these yourself?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here