Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Where can I get good, real wood drawer organizers?

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

My new cabinets have gorgeous maple drawers, and I cannot bear to cover them up with plastic cutlery trays! The only wooden ones I can find have chipbard or melamine bottoms and only use (cheap) wood on the sides.

Has anyone found any nicely made hardwood organizers?

Comments (25)

• charlikin
    14 years ago

I got a gorgeous bamboo flatware organizer from Target - beautifully made (and inexpensive). I augmented it with some bamboo single-compartment organizers.

• bob_cville
    14 years ago

I looked and was unable to find nicely made hardwood drawer organizers. So I made some that really turned out well. And the woodworking skills needed are easy enough that even a beginner woodworker can do an excellent job.

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

• Fori
    14 years ago

Bob, are those based in the Lee Valley brackets? I know they have thingies that are similar, but I'm not sure if they look that good.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

I was just looking at these at the weekend on the Rev A Shelf website. They have wooden ones that can be trimmed to fit. Also extra dividers so you can add two for a larger drawer. They also have Bamboo ones that can be trimmed to fit I believe. I am going to look into them some more as I like the idea of having them fit the drawers exactly.

Good luck.

Tina

• lowspark
    14 years ago

I used the Lee Valley brackets and wood strips I bought from Lowe's and Bob is right. I'm about as beginner as you can get but I was able to create custom wood dividers for my drawers. And I love them. They look great.

Here is a link that might be useful: lee valley brackets

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

those drawers look really nice! I'm going to have to try to make some for my drawers.

• plants4
    14 years ago

Meridian makes them in custom sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meridian custom drawer organizers

• teppy
    14 years ago

i got some teak ones from bed bath and beyond. they are nice.

• User
    14 years ago

It's a fairly easy DIY project if you have a dadoe blade for a table saw.

• arleneb
    14 years ago

Fori, yes, Bob_cville used the Lee Valley brackets for his dividers -- I'd been wondering about them and when Bob posted his pics earlier, I was thrilled to hear and see how well they worked. He really did a beautiful job!

After I get the rest of the house organized (read: unpacked) I'll be ordering LV brackets.

• mavmomma
    14 years ago

I was planning to try these, myself: http://orderlydrawer.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: custom wood drawer inserts

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks folks- lots of good ideas to look into!

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Here are pix of my drawers. I was so happy to be able to customize my dividers. However I didn't want to hammer the brackets into the wood of the drawers and make holes. So I created a frame for each drawer as you can see if you look closely. In effect,the entire divider complex can be lifted out of each drawer with no damage or visible remnants in the drawer.

• splats
    14 years ago

could someone provide a link to those Lee Valley brackets. I just spent 15 minutes on their web site and couldn't find them! thanks

• PRO
    Skonovd Ranch
    14 years ago

lowspark, that is a great idea about using a frame for the entire drawer. That would make it so easy to clean. Thanks for the pics!
    Andrea

• pamelas_kitchen
    14 years ago

This one is from Ikea.
    {{!gwi}}From drawer

• lowspark
    14 years ago

splais,
    I did link it in my first post above.

• sbcichocki
    14 years ago

Great idea on the frame for the entire drawer. I am always amazed at all the great ideas I pick up from this site!
    S

• bob_cville
    14 years ago

As several people have confirmed, the drawer dividers I made use the Lee Valley brackets. I also used 1/4" thick 4" wide poplar boards from Lowe's.

So all I needed to do was rip the boards to width (I used a table saw, but you could probably use a circular saw and a straight edge.) And then carefully cut the boards to length (I used a sliding miter saw, but you could also use a miter box and a sharp hand saw, or a square and a circular saw.)

Most of the dividers are about 3 1/2" tall, but for the silverware dividers, I made them about 2" tall to make reaching the silverware easier.

I also considered making frames within the drawer like lowspark did, but I decided that I like the look without frames. Also even if I decide to remove the dividers, the holes made by the sharp prongs on the brass dividers are small enough that they'd probably never be noticed.

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

bump

• kitchen_angst
    13 years ago

Has anyone used the wood dividers from rev a shelf, combined with the brackets from Lee Valley? Just wondering how the dividers shown in the picture stay in place.

Here is a link that might be useful: rev a shelf drawer dividers

• kitchen_angst
    13 years ago

bump

• cessnabmw
    13 years ago

Great post. What type of wood do you buy? I'm not sure if i will get the brackets from Lee Valley as I don't want to make holes in my drawer.

Any links on how to make these yourself?

• cessnabmw
    13 years ago

What type of wood do you buy? I'm not sure if i will get the brackets from Lee Valley as I don't want to make holes in my drawer.
    Any links on how to make these yourself?