Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catiesd

Kitchen Floor Tile/Grout Lines ... Not Happy :(

catiesd
9 years ago

Here we have newly installed 20" porcelain tile (rectified) 45 degree with requested 1/8" grout lines (spacers were used). I'm not feeling good about the workmanship. There are varied grout lines - 1/8 to 1/4 - corners slightly off and a bit of lippage. It was installed directly to the slab after removing vinyl. There was no floor prep other than scraping old vinyl glue away. The question is, was I asking too much using a large format rectified tile. Should I be happy? I purposely stayed away from travertine but still wanted that look. Just looking for opinions. I am having the grout colored a lighter shade next week and hope that will help too. Thx!

Comments (12)

• catiesd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the overhead view.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Not a tile expert but I have seen a few poorly grouted floors on this forum. The close up picture shows a little variation in the grout line size but it still looks good. The far away picture looks awesome.

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

The average person would never notice. I think it looks fine. I also think a lighter grout color with help disguise any variation in the grout widths. But remember, the lighter the grout, the easier it will show dirt and stuff over time. Hand sanitizer works excellent for cleaning grout.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I agree with romy and MrsShayne. You will notice, others will not. Is it a great job? No. Could they have done better, I don't know.

If you are going with a lighter grout because of this issue, but you really wanted this color, I wouldn't change it. If you are going with the lighter color because it's what you want for looks in general, go for it. If you change the grout color to minimize the visual of the different grout lines, you'll end up being even more frustrated because of THEY made you change it to something you didn't want AND you'll have added cleaning.

Agreed, overall it looks great.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

We can't see the lippage. Here is some info on acceptable standards.

http://www.johnbridge . com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-86795.html

• lam702
    9 years ago

It looks fine to me, I doubt anyone would notice unless you pointed it out. As for going with lighter grout, be prepared to clean it often! Remember, its a kitchen, its going to get dirty. I have white grout in my bathroom floor, I regret it now. Its a pain to keep clean, and a kitchen is more so. My kitchen grout is very close to the color yours is in the picture, I love it because it does not show dirt!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

During our mini reno the water line to the fridge leaked and caused some damage to our laminate floor. I was really, really bummed then, but now I do not even think about it unless I am mopping or stand on it with bare feet.

My point is, you will not likely notice any of those variations in your floor in a couple months or so. And I love your tile1

• aprilmack
    9 years ago

My tile is very similar to yours. I had the same issue with my tile installation (lippage and uneven grout lines.) It's two years later and my eye still notices the variations. However, it's not that big of a deal to me now.

I took a look at some of the original tile in the house and although I initially thought it was perfect, I noticed a few flaws. I'm sure the original owner of this house had issues with the tile as well. I've come to the realization that perfection does not exist.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

" It was installed directly to the slab after removing vinyl."

Tile cannot be installed to a concrete slab without an uncoupling membrane. Every time the concrete and the tile have an argument, the tile loses.

I have been called to at least 30 homes with cracked tile. In every case there is no permanent fix. In one 10-year-old home, I was going to replace several cracked tiles when I informed the homeowner that if I did, it would be at least the second time the tile would have been replaced. I could tell by the replacement grout. He declined the repair.

Bounce a golf ball on your new tile. It should make a nice "snick" sound. If you get a "thunk" you have a void in your thinset.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I'll ask - what is an uncoupling membrane? What should be between the concrete and the tile?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

blfenton:

Here you go:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ditra

• Jennie
    last year

All have to say is Wow!!