Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideagirl2_gw

Where to get cabinet boxes (without doors)?

ideagirl2
9 years ago

We're putting an under-cabinet vent hood in a rental that has Ikea cabinets. Don't want to use an Ikea upper cabinet for the vent hood for a few reasons, mainly because particle board is much heavier than solid wood or even plywood. So the plan is, get an upper cabinet box and put Ikea doors and side panels on it, so it matches the rest of the kitchen.

But every RTA cabinet site I go to seems to only sell the cabinets WITH doors.

Any suggestions?

Comments (18)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Make a box ... it's easy.

• ideagirl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Without going into personal details, we don't have time to make one.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I don't understand why you wouldn't use an IKEA cabinet. Their suspension rail system is solid and very well designed to support the weight of the cabinet.

• fraker
    9 years ago

Why don't you just buy the cabinet you think is sufficient for your needs and discard the doors? I really wouldn't guess you'd save enough money (or time) by continuing your search for commercially available doorless cabinets to be worth your while. Your second post seems to suggest that time is of the essence. Of course, you could always hire a custom cabinet maker.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Stayloft, my thought was the same head to the big box store and get a cabinet. Take off the doors.

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

You can buy plywood cabinets without doors from Conestoga through the Cabinet Joint - you will have to call or send an email explaining what you want and with exact dimensions. I would bet you could go through Barker as well.

If it's going to be recirculating, is it worth having a hood and cabinet at all? Maybe you could just put a fan to the exterior elsewhere in the room.

• mylazydazy
    9 years ago

We've been trying to do the same.

Here is what I found out after a week of research. Local Cabinet builders won't do it because the job is too small. (We have about 10 cabinets and they think this is too small) Kitchencabinetdepot.com will do it, but they only give you a 5% credit if you don't want the doors so kind of expensive. Barker Cabinets will not do it. If you buy the cabinets you must by the doors and remove them. Again expensive option if you need to turn around and rebuy doors. There is a kit that they sell on the internet for cabinet boxes, but they only sell it to tradesman who won't do the job of building cabinet boxes only because the job is too small.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Would attaching plywood first to brick work? That what our cabinetmaker suggested to us for a brick wall that would have uppers attached to them. Seems to have worked for us

• ideagirl2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the tips.

The brick already has a layer of plaster and a tile backsplash on it, so building out that wall isn't an option.

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

You might try scherr's. They are a RTA company that sells frameless cabinets and doors. Perhaps they would consider your small order. They can certainly do plywood boxes. We are using them for all of our cabinets in our build.

Carol

• athomesewing
    9 years ago

Barker cabinets offers them, look under, "glass and exposed" categories for cabinets without doors.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

I would think that any local shop would make up a simple box for you, would be much easier then ordering one in my opinion

Go in and offer cash, they will make up your box that day....

• atiman
    7 years ago

try craigslist. Lots of inexpensive cabinets that you could remove the doors and use for a hood.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

If you have a habitat restore store near you go there you will find a multitude of cabinets, pick one remove doors, finish as you like. I have fallen in love with the habitat restore store, amazing the stuff that they have. We have saved a bundle there.

• millworkman
    7 years ago

Hopefully this post will die quickly as the person who brought the old post back to life was a spammer that went unnoticed.

• hoagey
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I am in the same boat because a window forces me to use 12" deep wall cabinets. The new Ikea wall cabs are 15" deep. I would like to match the rest of my cabinet doors with 12" cab boxes.

• jupidupi
    7 years ago

We didn't use them (Our GC wanted to use his own cabinetmaker.) but I have seen rave reviews about Scherrs.com. You can get cabinets and parts of cabinets with a huge range of materials and styles. All made to order but cheaper than going custom.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area