Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash tile question

Posted by scubated (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 13, 09 at 13:41

Hi,
I am finally doing the tile backsplash with subway tiles and want to know if the tile should end to line up with the upper cabinet or the surface of the granite countertop. One the right side it will be obvious to end it with the countertop which is adjacent to window trim. On the left side there is more of a wall which includes light switches. I am not sure which way is considered right to line up with the end of the upper cabs or the end of the granite countertop.

Thannks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash tile question

I like it to end up with the countertop, but some people like it to line up with the upper cabinets. Not too helpful, am I? Just do what feels right to you and either way is OK.

o

Thanks Fori!
I guess it is one of those things that is up to your personal aesthetic and not a rule thing.

Patricia

o

Pat-- how do the light switches come into play, depending on which way you end the tile? The reason I ask is that you need to make sure the face plate is either all ON the tile, or all OFF the tile. No 1/2 and 1/2. Other than that, it's all a matter of how YOU like it. I've done it both ways. Personally I prefer to end the tile with the upper cabinets, but again, that's personal preference.

Photobucket

As you can see with this one, if we'd ended at the upper cabinets, it would've been a problem with the electrical faceplate, so we DID extend this one to the end of the countertop:

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here