Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
secondhalf_gw

Layout help- would this drive you crazy?

secondhalf
11 years ago

Is the narrow, tall pantry to the right of the fridge a mistake? It feels like an afterthought to me and it seem that it might be awkward - would you put the fridge at the end of the run instead? It's a counter depth, 72" tall.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (19)

• secondhalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another pic - sorry - I can't get multiple photos to work from my iPad - this is the opposite wall, which leads to the dining room. The room right next to the fridge is our current family room- will post pic- which we are integrating into the kitchen as a keeping room. The kitchen table will be there Next to the fireplace with a built in reading area near the window.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

It's helpful to have that for full doorswing of the fridge. You probably don't need to have it quite that wide if you feel like it makes the fridge crowd the sink.

• secondhalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And family room view (in Beekeeper'swife lingo- "what my refrigerator would see). This room is unfortunately a small step down from the kitchen. It, and the kitchen, will have hardwoods - and rooms will be painted, furnished to flow into one another. Beyond the fireplace will be new family room addition-

• cparlf
    11 years ago

seems the dishwasher might be awkward location to unload, thinking glasses not so much dishes and flatware. I have that now, I have to unload onto the counter, then close the door and finish stowing the glasses. New kitchen in final planning stage,

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Sometimes you get more responses if the image is in the thread rather than having to click away.

• localeater
    11 years ago

It wouldn't drive me crazy. What are you storing in it? I have a similar one in my layout, but the taller door is on the bottom and the top door is on the top. Mine will be my cleaning closet so I want it tall enough for brooms, etc...

I would definitely want some countertop on one side of the fridge to put stuff down. If you moved fridge to end of run and put pantry on left, then the fridge would be boxed in. If you moved fridge to end of run and put in another base cabinet I think the wall cabinet symmetry would be off.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

• secondhalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Breezygirl- that was really nice of you to do for me! Thank you.

Localeater- great points and I think you've hit on something. The large cab on top bothers me. I'll have the KD flip those.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Why? Then that upper cab will be useless. So will the bottom one be, too.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

You're welcome. How wide is that cab? Yes, the bottom cab needs to be taller.

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Hmm.... I see a lot of kitchens with a tall pantry pull out right next to the fridge. It's what I am planning to do as well. I'm not sure I see the problem, but I am totally looking forward to a pantry to put foodstuff in instead of my upper cabinets.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

The pantry looks good, between the wall and fridge and eliminates the need for a spacer.

I'm planning to do something similar with the pantry, but have it by the wall oven. Your kitchen layout looks great, IMHO :)

• deedles
    11 years ago

I'm having a pantry just exactly where yours will be. Makes sense to me.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I did put a pullout pantry in that spot and am very happy with it.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

I have a broom closet in exactly the location of your pantry.
    I love the location. We use the upper cabinets for cereal and bulky pantry goods. It is very convenient. And as others have said, it solves the problem of the fridge door opening against the wall. I like your floor plan!

• secondhalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You guys are all the best! I am so relieved you like the layout.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

As far as layout goes, would you consider replacing those doored cabs with drawers? We love our drawers around here, you know. :)

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I have an 8 inch pull-out next to my fridge with an upper cabinet. That cab is very useful for storing cutting boards, cookie sheets, muffin tins and pizza pans. Mine has an adjustable shelf, and everything on the top shelf is reachable without a step stool.

• secondhalf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Breezygirl- I fought my KD for the drawers I DO have...where else would you put more drawers? The corner cabinet is a half susan, and the cabinet to the left of the sink is a double trash pull out. I have all drawers on either side of the range, and I didn't think drawers would look good next to the wine fridge. Could they go in the island?

And OT- your kitchen pic in the BM Revere Pewter thread is gorgeous. What is that countertop?

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor