Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocketmomkd_gw

Pendants on a cord instead of a rod

rocketmomkd
11 years ago

Can anyone tell me if pendants on a cord would be subject to movement from ceiling fans? I want to put two mini pendants over our penninsula. The kitchen is open to the dining room with a ceiling fan on one end, and open to the family room with a ceiling fan on the other end. I prefer a rod, but some of the lights I am condidering have a cord and I'm worried the lights might sway from the ceiling fans. The distance from the pendants to the family room ceiling fan is a little more than 13ft. It's about 17 ft to the dining room ceiling fan. Anyone have this issue?

Comments (8)

• Bunny
    11 years ago

This is an interesting question, something I hadn't thought about before. Until I got two pendants on rods, I was adamant that they not hang by a cord. Now, I wish they were on a cord: straighter hanging, more height options, thinner, more give when your head bumps into them (it will happen).

• beeps
    11 years ago

Great question. I like the look of the rods better but hadn't thought about the issues linelle brings up. Guess I won't go buy rods for my new ones after all.

My guess is that they won't sway from ceiling fans... paper doesn't blow on my desk from my ceiling fan directly over it unless I turn it on high. And it's a big 5-blade fan. Since the lights will be higher (than stuff on my desk, not than the ceiling fan :), heavier, and not directly under the fan, I would suspect it wouldn't be a problem. The ones in my current house only sway when the ground gets to shaking, as it sometimes does here in So Cal. :)

Will be interesting to see what others have to say.

• jstehl
    11 years ago

I have three pendants hanging from my ceiling over my peninsula. Due to the fact that the ceiling is sloping, we needed to put in pendants with a cord as there was no way to cut the rods to even out their length. I would say the pendants are about 6-7 feet from the fan and there is NO swaying. We have a good size fan so I don't think you will have any problem

Here is a link that might be useful: Pendant lights

• rocketmomkd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting pics of you pendants! I feel better now if I decided to go with cords. But picking the pendants is so hard...I've looked at hundreds and hundreds!

• nineteenoeight
    11 years ago

Is there any reason you couldn't use the cord that's inside the rod & get rid of the rods? Or are the cords unattractive if designed for rods?

• honorbiltkit
    11 years ago

In this small kitchen, the pendants cords are only about four feet from the fan blades. The weight of the height adjustment thingies may provide e bit of extra stabiity, but the pendent don't move a millimeter even with the fan on high.

{{!gwi}}

Cheers.

PS. It might be worth your while to cut out life sized silhouettes of the fixtures you are really interested in and hang them from ceiling by string to get an idea of how different pendants work in your space.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Honor - who's kitchen is that? I've seen it before I think. Those pendants are similar to Pottery Barn pendants, but not exactly. I'd love to know where they came from. Thanks!