Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plasterers & GAP between Wall and Floor. Is this Normal?

Posted by mkoplmn (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 13:34

In one of my exterior kitchen walls, my plasterers left a large gap between the floor and the wall. It is so large that 2-3 inches of the Roxul insulation is clearly visible. The fact that the Roxul insulation is visible also tells me that the vapor barrier may not have been installed properly...

Is this normal?

I believe this may have happened because I did not prep the area properly before the boarders came and there were still bits and pieces of wood lath on the studs getting in the way of the blue board. They ended up charging me an additional $300 for the extra labor involved in the prep.

Is this a problem that needs to be fixed? The wall with the largest gaps will be covered by cabinets. Can I just cover up the gaps with scraps of drywall or plywood and forget about it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plasterers & GAP between Wall and Floor. Is this Normal?

I would want all of that closed off for bugs and drafts, covered or not. I think foam is recommended and would be an easy fix.

o

Your rockers are hacks.

o

This is true, Treb, but not overly helpful. I think mkoplmn needs a more actionable suggestion. If mkoplmn lives in a cold climate (MN?) that vapor barrier question becomes more critical than say FL.

If this were my wall, I'd want that gap covered.

o

No, not normal or good from my experience. Is that plaster & lathe behind it or just drywall?

In either case, it looks like they were being lazy and just relying on the baseboard to close it up.

o

That is not normal.

But I will not kick the sheet rock crew yet..

For I do not know if the floor is level or warped/wavy. If so They could have used a zip saw to cut the contour of the floor into the bottom of the sheet rock before hanging it. Taking the time to do that creates another bigger (to me) problem. The gap would then be at the top along the ceiling and have to be patched and worked to hide which could be a lot of hassles to make it look as it should. I would much rather have the bottom look as your does than have a bad looking,fit and finish along the ceiling.

Vapor barrier..

Not needed with Roxul Insulation.Roxul Insulation is very water repellent and does not hold moister like fiberglass insulation does. For it is made of Stone Wool.

o

hippy:

Properly scribed sheetrock installation does not require trading one problem for another.

o

We asked for a gap to be left since it would be covered by trim anyway, that way if there was ever any water (spill or leak) it wouldn't get wicked up by the wallboard. Not sure about a 2-3" gap, but some gap is desirable, IMO.

o

Condensation inside the walls is never a good thing. A vapor barrier IS required to the warm side of the wall. In a heating climate, that's to the inside. Do-over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here