Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
windyroc

Mid Century Modern Kitchen in Texas

After spending an inordinate amount of time lurking on this forum, I've finally plucked up the courage to post pictures of my kitchen remodel. I want to thank everyone for the invaluable advice and lively discussions and I hope you like the finished product.

As background information, the house, built in 1959, contained a kitchen that remained relatively unchanged since that time. Only newer appliances and a few coats of paint altered the space. I kept the square footage of the redesign to the original 11'x11' footprint, but removed one wall so that it's is now open to the family room, atrium and living room. I looked to Jill77's kitchen for inspiration and tried to incorporate a design style in keeping with the rest of the home without breaking the bank.

In addition to the kitchen remodel, the back wall of the house was opened for floor to ceiling windows, a concept often seen in modern houses of this era. Now upon entering, one is greeted with a view through the space and into the back yard. I guess we'll be landscaping next.

Before- kitchen (too much white paint and vinyl flooring I could never get to look clean. The kiddo cleans up much easier)

Before- the wall between the kitchen and family room is removed and the post and beam design of the home is exposed, opening the space. Soffits were also removed to allow wall cabinets to the ceiling.

After- kitchen

Pantry wall designed to provide much needed storage

At the threshold between the wood and concrete floors I added glass mosaic tile. It's a nice detail for a large transition space that a simple wood threshold could not cover.

Before- family room with almost no windows to speak of. Upon walking to the sliding door vistors would exclaim, "Oh, you do have a backyard!"

After- family room is now a proper mid century modern open to the outdoors. Vistors now exclaim, "Wow!"

Atrium- before (Yes, that is a dirt floor)

Atrium-after (we added a fountain and large concrete pavers to the space. It's now a calm sitting area where one can enjoy the sounds of the water)

Before- exterior (What else can I say...boring!)

After- exterior

cabinets- Ikea Nexus brown-black and Rubrik white glass

countertops- Silestone Blanco Maple

floors- diamond-polished concrete slab

refrigerator- 36" built-in GE Monogram

range- 36" Dacor dual-fuel

hood- 36" stainless steel and glass (bought on Ebay from Kitchenvent)

dishwasher- Thermador (purchased 3 years ago)

microwave- under cabinet GE Monogram Spacemaker

sink- 33" undermount, zero radius, stainless steel (bought on Ebay)

faucet- Grohe Minta in chrome

soap dispenser-Blanco 911-374

air switch- Insinkerator in chrome

disposal- Insinkerator Evolution

backsplash tile-Matchstix in "Mountain" blend

threshold tile- Oceanside Facets in "Tiger's Eye" blend

counter stools- Bertoia look-alikes

pendant lights- maybe Tech Lighting, I've long since thrown away the box

Comments (45)

• homepro01
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I love it. I have a mid century mod too! You did a great job. I love the Tech Lighting fixtures. I have been coveting a Fritz Hansen Egg chair. You have really great vision for the space.

Homepro01

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Whoa! A++ on the vision and the result! Wonderful changes to create an amazing new look and space. What great style in every part and every direction. I can't imagine how much better and pleasant this is to live in than before! Love the posts and beams and the WINDOWS. And for whatever reason, surprising because of my negative feelings toward stainless sinks, in general, those contemporary-styled stainless farm sinks make me practically swoon. Enjoy, enjoy!

• lascatx
    14 years ago

Great transformation, inside and out! TLC+vision You've really given the house a new life.

I may borrow the glass tile transition idea. We want to put in hardwood floors, but the type we like are installed with a plywood base over the slab and I have never liked the idea of trying to cover the transition with a wood strip.

I see pine trees and oaks -- are you in the Houston area? Regardless, you done good. :-)

• plllog
    14 years ago

Gorgeous result!

• steff_1
    14 years ago

A wonderful renovation and you stayed true to the original design of the home.

Definitely A++

• segbrown
    14 years ago

Love it!

• neesie
    14 years ago

Great transformation, thanks for sharing it with us!

• Jean Farrell
    14 years ago

I love it! I have an 1894 Victorian, and I am partial to 19th Century/early 20th Century architecture, but I also really admire Mid-Century Modern, when it is done right, like yours. You did a wonderful job!

• nesting12
    14 years ago

Love it!

• marcy96
    14 years ago

You did a great job restoring the character of the house! It all ties together so well. Enjoy! I especially love the atrium. So calming!

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Stunning! LOVE those floor to ceiling windows. They look as if they were always meant to be. You stayed true to the home's age and style while turning an ugly duckling into a swan. Bravo!

• rnest44
    14 years ago

Love what you've done with the place! Really cool.

• donnakay2009
    14 years ago

Wow! Sleek and classy. Love the mosaic trim on the floor--genius idea. This kitchen makes me want a Coke out of a glass bottle and Frank Sinatra on the stereo!

• amcofar
    14 years ago

Stunning reno! Your design was true to the era, but you also updated your space perfectly. I love it all!

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

I LOVE this transformation - it's fantastic! The kitchen "fits" the house so well (conversation on another thread :-) Those windows are beautiful. The rest of the house looks wonderful too.

Thanks for sharing!
    Eliz

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

We're like "cousins"! I have a 1950s rancher that looked like this:

From Menlo Farmhouse

And now looks like this:
    From Menlo Farmhouse

I bought a farmhouse sink much like yours from Contempo Living on eBay--is that where yours is from? Mine has the curved front though and I wish I'd seen yours before clicking the button!

Your remodel is beautiful and is perfect for the era. I am going with Eames furniture, a more 1950s modern too. I am jealous you are done...as you can tell, my house is far from done! Great great great job--you have a real eye for design!

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Love this transformation! In fact, it's so true to the house that it looks like it was always this way. But, clearly, you've done wonders with improving on the original design.
    Congratulations on a truly beautiful kitchen, family room and atrium. You've done such a great job!

• PRO
    Windyroc Studios, LLC
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, thanks to everyone for such wonderful feedback. All of you have given me confidence in knowing that I did not destroy the original design of the house, my main goal with the remodel.

Lascatx: Good guess, we do live in Houston. It's funny that the trees give it away.
    I wish the glass tile threshold was my own idea. I saw one on the Oceanside Glass Tile website. Unfortunately, I can't find the image there anymore, or else I would include the link.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Add me to the "love it!" column!!!!

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Absolutely stunning!!!

• nalcar
    14 years ago

Wow! As a MCM fan ( my DIY kitchen recently completed and now DIY redo of the Livingroom in progress) of a very small ranch home, I can say your vision was spot-on and the results spectacular. I's so great to see a kitchen that truly enhances the whole house. This one doesn't look like everyone else's kitchen, and will never go out of style. Your exterior mods are awesome. You really need to submit the pics to Atomic Ranch magazine so other fans can see!

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

What a great remodel! You've made it all tie together so beautifully, inside and out. I especially like the atrium and the windows.

• rosie
    14 years ago

Wow yet again! It's all already said, but as another MCM fan I'm really enjoying seeing your fairy godmother transformation of your little Cinderella home, inside and out. Very, very nice. Will you be posting to the Finished Kitchens Blog?

• timber.j
    14 years ago

What a great transformation!
    We have the same "red brick" floor in our "before" kitchen, too. I love how you did the transition from the concrete to the wood in your new kitchen!

All those windows...Wow!

• PRO
    Windyroc Studios, LLC
    Original Author
    14 years ago

To firsthouse _mp-
    Best of luck to you on the remodel. Your concrete floors are looking great and you'll love how nice they feel under your feet during the summer. I just can't speak for winter though. I tried to find info on the sink I bought and I don't think it was Contempo Living. I could not find a flat front sink in their listings.

Enjoy shopping for the Eames. I love their furniture and it lasts forever!

• megradek
    14 years ago

unbelievable changes!! Fantastic job. It is now striking!!

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

Fantasic job!

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

Love it - you have fabulous taste! I'm downloading all your pics for my next home.

• bignick
    14 years ago

Excellent renovation! Can you tell me anything more about the artwork above the brown sofa? I have a modern home and I love the look and feel of that piece. Thanks.

• overmyhead08
    14 years ago

So sleek and stunning! Love the pendants! Please tell me more about your backsplash tile. Perhaps provide close-up photos?

• camargo
    14 years ago

Really, really well done. One of the nicest remodels I've seen on here. We also did Nexus brown-black and Rubrik white, and, a year later, still love it.

Slowly redoing the rest of the space as well--great inspiration from these pics. Thanks for posting and enjoy!

• jakabedy
    14 years ago

Beautiful! We've got a mid-century home as well and plan to go with the Nexus Yellow-Brown with light countertops. We also have an atrium just on the other side of the open galley kitchen. I will definitely hold onto your pics for inspiration!

• natenvalsmom
    14 years ago

Beautiful! I love the atrium, the peninsula light fixtures, the contrast between the dark cabinets and the stainless. The wall phone! You did a wonderful job staying true to the MCM feel.

• PRO
    Windyroc Studios, LLC
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Overmyhead08-
    Here's a close-up of the glass tile bfore installation.

Bignick-
    Would you believe the art is a piece of fabric I bought from Ikea and stretched onto a 3ft x 4ft canvas? At $7.99/yard it was a great alternative.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea fabric

• bignick
    14 years ago

See...I was going to ask if it was something you made from fabric, but I didn't want to offend you. hahaha. I was looking at doing the same thing with some boldly colored fabric from Marimekko. I've even seen some bed sheets which might look nice, but they usually aren't as vibrant as other fabric. Thanks for the link; I wouldn't have thought to look at Ikea.

• Fori
    14 years ago

I like this remodel very much.

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!!!! Your reno is a seamless fit with the house - so up to date but perfectly blended with the era. I'm usually not a big fan of mid-century houses but yours makes me rethink my opinion.

• sjerin
    14 years ago

Just beautiful--I'm going to have to save your pics! I also want to say that your son(?)is a little doll-baby! What a great smile.

• lmfoodie
    14 years ago

What a great transformation! Love the stainless plus black + white color combination. And that tile!! Congratulations on a job well done-enjoy!

• socalusa
    14 years ago

This is a gorgeous space you've created. Excellent choices all around - everything works together beautifully. Congratulations!

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

Love this! What an amazing update!

• hestia_flames
    14 years ago

OOOOHHHH. AAAhhhhh. I really admire your vision. I love the way you made your renovation "fit" the bones of your home so much.

I've been looking at Ikea to create a very similar "pantry wall" - may I ask if you used 15"-15"-24"-15"-15" cabinets/Rubrik doors?

Are they 12" or 24" deep? They appear to be 12", however it is difficult to tell.

Did you use Perfekt Nexus cabinets on their sides to create the top? I love how it adds to the rhythm.

Were you able to use Ikea pieces to finish the ends/top, or did you need to head to a lumber store? It is just beautiful.

Thank you! Hestia

Here is a link that might be useful: Perfekt Nexus cabinet

• mudrick
    14 years ago

Are you happy with your Kitchenvent hood? I just ordered one and am hoping the price isn't too good to be true.

• morton5
    14 years ago

I love vision, ingenuity, and the results! Beautiful kitchen and remodel-- great job!

• jakkom
    14 years ago

One of the elements I love most about MCM is the atrium. You have done one of the finest jobs of updating a true MCM home I've ever seen - sensitivity, elegance, and vision. Congratulations! You will certainly enjoy a lifetime of satisfaction on such a well-done job!