Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

What comes next? Remodel work flow, timeline?

kksmama
10 years ago

This is my first kitchen remodel and one of the many things I didn't understand was the order and flow of the work. Demo, plumbing (with slab trench to move sink), and electrical rough in are nearly done. Drywall repair should be done by the weekend so we can paint. Cabinets and appliances should be in next week, with granite following. But then what? From here it seems that it will all be easy after that: floor repair, lights, sinks and faucets, cabinet dividers, tapmaster and backsplash.

What else is there? Where will I need to focus my attention, and remain alert for issues and problems? I'm a little nervous about not being nervous once the granite is in....I suspect I don't know what I don't know!

Comments (5)

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

What came to mind was - a stiff drink!

• SLTKota
    10 years ago

I start by taking the estimated timeline and then doubling it. If you are lucky it might be close to the actual timeline.

I don't mean to be pessimistic but it seems to be much closer to the actual timelines than the ones I have been told. I now try to plan ahead for projects to take much longer than I was told, it makes it slightly less frustrating when deadlines are missed.

I've been telling people my kitchen would be done "in the next week or two" since May lol. I honestly believed that it would be though I have had some abnormal delays.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Sounds about right! Once everything is roughed in and you can paint, it seems to get easier. Maybe because it's getting progressively more like a real kitchen again.

Keep an eye on the details now. Will the GD fit? Do you have an outlet for the air switch, if using? Is there enough clearance for your faucet handle? Do you have all the needed outlets/covers, switches, dimmers, wall plates, etc? Did you order enough knobs/pulls to have at least one extra? You will likely end up needing one more of something than you counted anyway, but always good to have a spare on hand.

Inspect everything at the end of each day. Some things, like door alignment, will be taken care of at the end of install. But look for any noticeable scratches, dings, finish problems, etc in the cabinets. Some can be touched up easily, some may need a replacement. Check the granite for significant chips, large gaps, etc.

When the lighting is "done", check all switches and dimmers to make sure it all works right. Make sure the right grout is used - color and type.

Basically, if you can see it or feel it, check it! And keep a list so you don't forget things. As you find things you have questions about or want fixed, start a list for that, too.

We are finally almost there. Replacement doors just came in, might be installed this week or next week. Then we will just have the BS and a few small things and all done!

Hang in there, sounds like you're getting close to a functional kitchen! That first day with a working sink is absolutely wonderful :-)

• elwydee
    10 years ago

Did you buy the sink and plumbing fixtures yet? You'll need them on site for the granite installation so they know the size, position, and number of holes.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the replies!

Cindy, it was only reasonable that as I emptied my old liquor cabinet I set a nice assortment aside.
    SLTKota, so far things are moving along really fast - a delay might be welcome. Again this reminds me a little of cooking, it is better to get all your prep done, mise en place, before "cooking" begins. I still have some stuff to select/buy (faucets, soap dispensers, lights) so I'm worried that I will be the cause of delays.
    Willamsem, your list is terrific, thank you!
    Elwydee, I'm going to have to make decisions very soon.
    These weeks do seem to be accelerating!