Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flooring nightmare

Posted by marcojohnson (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 13:25

Oh the fun of demolition. Looks like the original builders laid down some kind of mastic, then laid down cork, then another 1/4"-1/2" layer of mastic, then the bamboo floor. What a bloody mess - we have an accupuncture office downstairs and had to move the bulk of the jackhammer & chisel work to Sunday to help them out!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flooring nightmare

The stainless is even worse ... looks like several layers of concrete, adhesive, and gypsum were involved. The poor guys are having to chisel this out inch by inch. Ugh!

o

Yikes! Looks like a nightmare!

o

I'd grind it off with a Metabo; don't forget a respirator and hearing and eye protection.

What type of floor goes over the concrete, if any?

o

What a mess! It'll be worth it in the end though.

o

They did an amazing job this morning chiseling it all down to the gypsum. They will now add a soundproofing barrier and leveler before the tile. Bonus, the tile and wood will meet perfectly and we won't need any kind of transition! This will be our floor tile... 12x24 with a grout that is very close in color - a kind of "concrete" look that works with the grey cabs.

Another bonus of doing the euro-style Columbia cabinets - we have a nice 5.5" space underneath to deal with cables & hook-ups and such - plus it let us easily raise the counter height a few inches (primary cook is 6'1, secondary is 5'11").

o

The nightmare is over :) floor is in, just have to grout it tomorrow. Love - LOVE this tile!

o

Pretty, I love the puppy cages.

o

Oh yes ... the puppies LOVE the tile spacers!

o

...and floor is done-done! Love the perfect (non) transition from existing main area to new kitchen floor!

o

Oh, that's lovely!
Would you mind sharing your tile details?
This is really pretty.

o

Nice! Anxious to see more.

o

Thx Cal:) Will have tons more after cabs & appliances are in on Friday!

CEFreeman - found it at a tile store - "St. Moritz" - we picked it because it was the most "concrete" looking porcelain, with the least amount of variations. Our tile guy (who I swear is OCD ... which is a very good thing for me!) did some extra work laying it our to make sure the patterns were all "moving" the same way. I'm thrilled with it so far!

The tile in the store was called one thing, but when he picked it up, we found out it was from Emser...

http://www.emser.com/index.php?name=ST._MORITZ(TM)&id0=ceramic_porcelain&id1=collectionDetailsIntro&index=66&scrollMenuporcelain=600.0000152587891

We got it in gray and used a grout that closely matches it (we may use an enhancer sealer on the grout to darken it up just enough to make it a perfect match).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here