Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sstrazisar

Cabinet modifications for fridge

Stephanie S
9 years ago

I need a new fridge to replace my 14 year old top freezer model. I've been convinced by the wise GW community not to shoehorn a fridge into my 69" H cabinet opening.

I can have my carpenter modify the cabinet immediately over the fridge to make it 3" shorter. I'd then likely purchase a 71"H GE Cafe CD French door. I like its flat front style, and how the ice maker is so slim. Labor + fridge would be ~3K.

Or I could go for a Jennair built-in. More seamless, and I could get a 2-door unit (Slight preference over FD). But I'd have to figure out how to modify the cabinet over the 84"H unit. If I kept the current style and just made the dual doors shorter I think it might look odd. They'd only be 8"H! The appliance guy suggested to replace the cabinet directly over the fridge with a simple panel. I'm not sure I'd like that look...it's hard to visualize. This would be ~8K.

What would you do? If I did the built-in, how should I modify the cabinet over fridge? By the way I can't do a fully integrated fridge, as they require more than the 24"D that I have.

Comments (6)