Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steph2000

Color and Design Commitment Issues

steph2000
12 years ago

What I'm realizing as I pour over kitchen inspiration pictures and sift through my mental files and tangible objects I consider "keepers" is that I don't want to make decisions about the kitchen that limit my options for decor in related rooms now or in the future. (We are tearing down a wall so the kitchen will be open to the LR/entrance as well as the DR.) On the other hand, I don't necessarily want bland to be the outcome...

My cabinets are likely going to be white. My floors will be neutral, probably mid-tone brown wood tones. My primary backsplash is window glass and maybe stainless steel over the range, which leaves very little left for tile or paint. So, for me, it's probably all going to come down to the countertop. And while I love the look of so many of the granites/stones/lookalikes, and think some texture would help warm/liven up the space, I'm worried about the countertop being the defining feature for so much of my space for basically forever.

I have a lot of blue and white items that I haven't been using but held on to and have considered using those things (a lot of them admittedly cheap) for an initial launching point for the new kitchen/living room. Navy and other blues are sort of hot right now and so is ikat, which might mean I could pull a fresh look together relatively easily and affordably using a blue/cream/white color scheme. I like the idea of it for now, but don't necessarily want to be locked in for life to any particular color - or even limited to cool versus warm tones.

Have you made design/material decisions that you feel lock you in to a certain look or color palette? If so, what and do you have regrets or concerns about it? If you went with a countertop that lends itself to current and future flexibility with style/color choices, what did you pick?

As I ponder this, it seems I'm down to a few options:

1. Black or perhaps charcoal/the right gray. (Not sure either of those would be great with the blue)

2. Wood tones. (Better with the blue, but too much wood given the floor and what about durability and cost?)

3. White or off-white. (Seems bland with white cabinets, won't give any contrast with the cabinets, too contemporary for my taste?)

I know this might seem premature, given I haven't finalized my layout, not to mention even decided on a general layout (L versus pensinsula versus galley), but I do need to get a vision and I am doing a ton of material research and musing while I focus on the energy audit and exterior work we are doing. And up here in Alaska, a lot of places won't ship to you and when you find the right piece, you best buy it because it might not be around later. So, I expect I might need to be doing some buying soon and throughout the construction period if I want it to come together in this century. lol

All feedback and suggestions welcome, along with spunky debate. Perhaps I am a kitchen commitmentphobe.

Comments (26)

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have Bianco Antico. Certainly not a boring/bland countertop and yet it goes with so many colors. I have gray and brown with mine, but if you do a search on here you will see it paired with all sorts of colors. This is why I liked this granite so much. I always wanted to have elements in the kitchen that would work with any color paint I chose.

Have you considered a marble? That would look great with your blue and white theme. Very classic. It also can be changed to any color down the road.

good luck!

-Bee

PS-where in AK are you? I'll be up there in September.

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

something like Cambria brecon brown or cambria gold is where I'd go/the warmer and slighter lighter than floor color in a gold or brown will play off the blue and keep an all over warmth instead of the coldness of gray/black.

• rosie
    12 years ago

Steph, don't forget the contribution of the view out all those windows to your decor. Windows are a major feature in ours, and it's considerable. Also, our wood stove hood is flanked by windows, and I designed it as the major inside focus to display art, knicknacks, holiday decorations, etc. Blue one season, something else the next. Everything removed when that seems just right. I like curtains, and they offer tremendous opportunities. We put in deep window sills, ditto. One of those wonderful washable decorative rugs in warm reds and golds for the cold season. On the inside, wall pantry wall (visible only from inside the kitchen), glass in the doors to show off all the foodstuffs.

Back to basics, though: I like color a lot and because of it was emphatic about not locking myself into a specific color, using calm whites/neutrals on all the big stuff.

Have you considered wood for the counters (TO blend with the floor) but stone or stainless on the sink stretch? We did all wood and love it but see the time coming when we'll upgrade the sink area (only) to something that'll carry us the next 20.

I'd suggest you pick up some old and new magazines to tear pictures out of, print a bunch off the web, etc. Anything you see you like, stream of fancies. :) Definitely get magazines from different decades (secondhand/antique shops tend to have some) so you're not limited only to current trends. I think when you have several dozen or so and lay them out you'll discover some real preferences you never knew you had.

• brickton
    12 years ago

What about grayish brown Corian? Someone just posted something with Sandalwood by Corian (I don't remember whom) and it's a nice warm grayish color. It's very neutral and light but would contrast white cabinets well.

• steph2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beekeeperswife - I love your kitchen and it's good to hear that I'm not alone in making this a decision point in the kitchen. I love the look of marble, but I don't think I'm up to it financially or otherwise. I'm really trying to be honest about how we really treat things around here and how much time we (want to) spend on maintenance. If I go with any stone, it will have to be pretty darn hardy. I'm also realizing that if I want to have patterned items, I have to think about how busy the counter is. Just not seeing blue and white pieces with a multi-colored stone somehow...

What's bringing you up to the Great White North? Hope the weather cooperates for you! I'm in Anchorage. Would that be on your itinerary?

Herbflavor - After I posted and continued to mull, I did think that the tan/beige/gold/brown tones were another option. I have a chocolate brown counter that has served me well but I am ready for something different. That leaves a lot of room, potentially, though.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Steph2000 - you are asking these questions at exactly the right time. We did a whole house reno and I have wound up with a very neutral/brown house and am lamenting the loss of colour. If you look at many of the home decorating magazines that is what is now being shown (with the exception of Elle Decor and depending on the issue Coastal Design). I am now trying to introduce colour and so many people say oh use flowers, or use accent pieces - but that is not commitment to colour.. Ok off my soap box now.

What I am having difficulty now doing is adding colour that shows a commitment to colour. If I could do it again I would pick a counter top that had some colour in it like maybe Typhoon Bordeux or something with a hint of green.
    I am adding colour now through area rugs and paintings but it has been a struggle.

For the kitchen - one thing I am glad that we did was to have clear glass put in some of our cabinets. In them I have put some of my pottery that have blues in them and my paintings are ones that my grandmother painted and they have blues in them as well. And so a colour theme is developing. But it is a process and you are thinking about it at the right time. I wish I had.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I will be in Anchorage! Well, only for a short time though.

We are cruising from Vancouver. So excited.

I'd bring you some granite samples but somehow I'm thinking that my suitcase might just go waaayy over the weight limit!

And thanks for those nice words about my kitchen.

-Bee

• BlueKitten
    12 years ago

Steph, I really struggled with this dilemma, too. I ended up with Giallo Ornamental granite. The slab I picked has a good mix of warm and cool tones, and I can see it working with lots of colors in the future. Right now, I'm sticking with grays and cooler colors, but I know someday I'll change my mind and want to try something warmer.

I wish I could remember the name, but I saw a black and brown granite in a recent Parade of Homes house that looked really striking with white cabinets. Baltic Brown, maybe?

I really like the sample of Corian that brickton posted. Something in the warm gray/taupe family definitely could work. Silestone and Zodiaq also have several colors in this family, I believe.

Blacks and charcoals can look striking with white cabinets, but you'll have to decide whether that fits your overall sense of style. I considered black, but I knew deep down that I didn't want them in my kitchen even though they look lovely in many others' homes.

Or, here's a crazy thought ... if you know deep down that you don't want a huge commitment to an expensive hard-surface countertop, why not choose one of the higher-end laminates? There are so many great color options nowadays, and you won't feel guilty if you need a major change in 10 years. My mom has taken this approach over the years and it definitely works for her.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

OT Beekeeperswife - I don;t know where you live but if you live somewhere that has summer could you please bring some to Vancouver with you? It has not appeared here yet. Thanks.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

hahaha.....it was about 105 F earlier this week! Heat indexes over 120F. OMG, summer? really ? sure I"ll send some.

• gardengrl66 z5
    12 years ago

"Black or perhaps charcoal/the right gray. (Not sure either of those would be great with the blue)"

Here's an old GW kitchen reveal - charcoal soapstone with blue and white, wood floors. Looks great to me!

Here is a link that might be useful: soapstone w/blue island

• steph2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rosie - It sounds like you went neutral and have no regrets. I like wood counters, but I'm not sure there's a way to have different material around the sink in my layout given it likely will be placed along the run of cabinets on the exterior wall? It's a great idea to pull out old magazines as well as look to the current ones. I'm curious to see the BS window transition through seasons, too.

Brickton - that's a pretty counter. I've seen some similar ones that sort of have a subtle almost driftwood texture in neutral colors that I have thought interesting. Martha Stewart and IKEA have some examples, I think. I'll definitely do a search of Sandlewood and see what pops up.

blfenton - Yep, I absolutely get what you are saying. If I go too neutral, am I going to end up with a kitchen without texture and personality and have to work harder to create a cohesive, finished look than if I'd have been 'brave' and committed in my building materials? This may end up being a fine line I am trying to find - and I may just need to bite the bullet and give some things up to get other things.

Beekeeperswife - What a great cruise that will be. I hope the weather cooperates! It's a beautiful day today, but we'll take more sun and warmth up here, too. Never have too much of that. I'm laughing at the idea of you bringing up granite samples, though it would probably be cheaper for me to buy in the Lower 48 and haul it up here somehow. I'm a little nervous to even price stuff up here, but I should start that soon. Are you taking the train up to Anchorage for a mini-excursion? It'd be fun to meet, though that's probably tricky to pull off. Let me know if you need any information.

bluekitten - Thanks for the granite suggestions. I can do some searches - and also see what's available locally. I'm a little nervous about what I'm going to find for granite prices after an incident that happened a few months ago. I called a local granite place looking for remnants for small cabinets we have on each side of our fireplace in the den. The woman said 1K per and when my shock showed, grandly announced (in an elitist accent, if that is possible), "Just because it is a remnant doesn't mean that it isn't GAAARRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAANITE." Have not ruled out laminate, though I would like an undermount sink. My neighbor just had formica installed yesterday - looking forward to seeing it. I've seen a slate and marble-lookalike I liked. Unfortunately, the later is no longer made. Haven't ruled out blacks/grays, either. I do like the look and there's a lot of black and white kitchens on GW that appeal to me. But, I have a really dark counter (chocolate brown) with white cabinets now and it might be nice to have a different look with a new kitchen. Geesh, not sure anything is really ruled out here. lol

Gardengrl66 - Thanks for the link...another beautiful GW kitchen and proof that blue and black can work great together!

Thanks, everyone, for chiming in. We'll see if the thread stays alive, and if so, maybe I'll post up some ideas as I come across them.

Lots of options are swimming through my head - and I'll be paying closer attention to this question as I look at inspiration pics. It's probably true for me that I prefer the brainstorming stage to the commitment/decision-making stage so I'm going to try to have fun with this - to balance out the decision angst I'll no doubt have at some point down the road!

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I like the Corian Sandlewood and I recommended it to someone as a loose top for some teak furniture, but it has a very Strong presence and a mid century modern feel to it: the striations are rather large scale and streaky. It would be a commitment, of sorts.

On a philosphical point though, I feel that the non-commitment thing because a viscious cycle. The givens are all neutral and the changeables are pops of color. After a while the non-commital types get bored with this and change the pops of color.

My personal feeling is that a neutral palette with pops of color is that its not a well-integrated scheme, and you get bored with it because...its kind of boring. So it, in itself leads to change, and then you feel you can't commit.

I think the thread has moved on a bit from that but, as a general point I think the neutral palette and the boredom/noncommitment with it feed off each other.

(Sticking with all neutrals is Not the same thing as a monochromatic tight palette...that is something completely different.)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

We went with Rain Cloud by Corian, which is a marble-ish pattern that has a very subtle hint of taupe or beige in some spots. I originally wanted no taupe/beige in it, but came to realize that it would look good with the rooms on the other side of the island and peninsula that have wood floors. In any case, it is a mellow look and will not clash with changes of color/pattern nearby. I would not call it bland either. One of my favorite parts is the seems are almost invisible. You can't even feel them.

• steph2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

palimpsest - Excellent points. Maybe the distinction will become clearer to me as I continue on.

dianolo - I saw a little sample of your Rain Cloud in the store and was intrigued. I wondered if it really did have a bit of that marble effect. Your pics are great - do you have views of the kitchen that show it with the cabinets, etc? If I go with a U shape, I'm afraid I'll end up with a lot of seams, so that's a factor.

• sayde
    12 years ago

You're thinking a lot about color, which is good. But you might also want to think about the overall feel of the kitchen -- is it modern? period? transitional? Wood and marble are "timeless" while solid surface and granite are more contemporary. What is the age of your house? what kind of feeling are you trying to achieve in your kitchen?

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Agree with palimpsest, and I'd go further.

Read the backsplash discussions here. You will see an interesting pattern. If someone asks for help with a backsplash, 99% of the posts will suggest creamy white subways. Not suggest, actually: urge, cajole, berate, fear-monger. Dreadful things will happen if you do anything else. You will hate it and never sell your house. It's too much money. Just put up a bright paper towel holder, that will fix it.

The second part of this pattern is this: Almost all of the posts saying "I hate my new kitchen" comes from people who chose the "neutral" choice at every turn.

An all-neutral room can be gorgeous, but it is a thing in and of itself. It relies on the interplay of subtle undertones, interesting textures, interesting individual pieces and objects within it.

The "let me chicken out at every turn" room is something completely different. First, these sorts of decisions rarely consider the undertone of the neutrals--so you have, say, greenish beige curtains in front of a pinky beige couch, and it all looks wretched. Second, these rooms rely on so-called pops of color, which have nothing to do with the room itself. Your room looks like you either let your realtor decorate, or you're living in an apartment and everything you own came from the Target back to school sale.

So, to return to your initial question: Yes, every decorating choice you make will box you in, every door you open will close others. And that's good. You can't design a room that still preserves all possible choices short of building an empty white box.

Since you can't realize every possibility, start by prioritizing what you can't live without. You want your blue dishes? I think those could be a perfect starting choice. They still leave you with a wide range of options--but not an infinite range. The next choice you make will narrow your other options even further, and that's the way it's supposed to be.

hth

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

I hear you. I'm in the stages of finalizing our kitchen plan and find myself second guessing and wondering if I should go blander, more neutral at every turn. My husband has learned to just smile and then ignore me...he knows the impulse will pass. So stay strong and go with something you love. I'll try and attach photos of my friends kitchen in Toronto. As she always reminds me, "There're a lot of beautiful colours out there...".

Here is a link that might be useful: Colourful blue kitchen

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Steph - I have some part of my counters still missing and I was hoping to post my reveals when the kitchen is done (have a nightmare time with the now ex-gc).

The Rain Cloud will not fool anyone into thinking it is actually marble, but it gives a marble vibe. Our kitchen's look is a modern 1940s kitchen and this fits in despite not being authentic to the time. It could also work as traditional quite easily. We went with simple edges and on the upper level of our island, the counters come down the sides, which is a more modern look.

The shot you see of our corner on the island top, shows how great the seams get hidden. It is blown way up and you can still only barely see it. I had more than one person ask if it was made as one piece (shaped like a table...uh..no..., lol). The seams will show a change in the pattern's direction if you choose, but you will have trouble seeing or feeling exactly where the seam is. It is quite remarkable. The funny part is our layout only has those 2 corner seams and I actually wish I had more. It is so cool that it is wasted on 2 so small spots, lol.... We had been toying with Caesarstone, but the seams really made a difference to us. Corian also feels so silky smooth when you run your hand across it. People stroke the countertop once they examine it. It is not as cold to the touch.

The counters in person look so much better than the sample. We had seen a display kitchen with it, but I panicked when I got my sample in the mail afterward. I actually ran back to the display kitchen with my sample to see if the pattern had changed between their install and my sample, but they matched. It looks different in the larger format, and much nicer, IMHO. I would not have picked it, based on the sample, at all, yet it is is exactly the same thing as a fully installed counter. It is odd how that works....

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

Marcolo,

You hit the nail on the head about what really bothers me about a lot of decor today......."neutrals" that don't go together with a POP of Target!

Great insight!

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

Conceptualizing your taste in terms of color and style for a whole house isn't some easy little thing. Adding in the complexity of a kitchen -- and then trying to marry something that fulfills your wishes with the existing house -- doubles down on the process.

Then there are the technical aspects of the construction plus the issues of budget and how every couple/family/person handles the process of ripping up the old and familiar to create the new and untested.

Unless you've got a design degree (and even if you do) cut yourself some slack. Collect pictures and see what you pick over and over again. Then focus on that as a starting point. Trust yourself.

The experience of doing a house/kitchen is a learning curve that cannot be anticipated. One never knows going in what one learns by the end. No way to make it foolproof.

Neutral is a funny word, too. Neutral can be safe and smart or bland and dumb. It's overused as a generalization and can mean different things.

There's no formula for any of this. There is a sequence of work that's accepted. There are general layout principles and architectural elements to be considered in every kitchen. There's the overall feeling you're going for (once you decide). People who understand the basics, in general, and spend enough time defining what they want tend to find their way through the thicket more easily.

For me -- and perhaps just for me -- it's not about which tile is on your backsplash, or the color of the cabinet glaze, or even how color is introduced in the kitchen though those are all elements. It's about the package and how it expresses one person's individual needs and wants.

If people here are recommending white subways it's because they have them, like them and believe that there is value in the effect for the $$ spent. If they're recommending certain faucets it's because they like the style, function and found a sweet spot on the cost.

Taste is in the eye of the beholder, as we've all seen. Some here will hold a vote and let anonymous strangers tell them what to put in the house. Some have firmer ideas and need help with specifics. Whatever works best.

BTW have you taken the Sweeby Test?

• sophie123
    12 years ago

I started out as you did - white cabinets. But then the kitchens i looked at that i liked had blue in them and green. So i starting working with a designer, picked fabrics for bench area, then picked cabinet colors based on that. Thats where i divurged from white cabinets. I ended with BM marine blue and BM dunsmore cream. That blue - when i first saw it on the cabinets my heart sunk. But now that everything is coming together i feel much better. Its risky! But the rewards can be a unique kitchen that is all yours. Im getting backsplash with crackle tile and blue crackle border - hoping that pulls everything together. Here's a not very good picture:

If i had it to do again, i would pick the granite first. The granite has been a pain i'm stuck because the color combination is pretty unique.

I lost the green along the way but plan on attending accents (and dunsmore cream has a green hue to it).

• steph2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sayde - Well, I live in a 1952 ranch that is slightly under 1000 feet. When we moved in, we played up the cottage angle, painting the outside butter yellow with white trim with big window boxes and casual country with leanings to Tuscan and British Colonial on the inside. We are currently residing the outside (with new windows/doors - my slider went in to the DR this week and I am loving it). The siding is vinyl and looks like cedar shakes in a medium cedar tone - paired with thick white trim and crown. So, the 'cottage' is now leaning coastal on the outside and the inside is a blank slate. The only decision point that has been made in the kitchen is the backsplash window - and our plans to tear down the wall separating kitchen from LR/entrance seem pretty solid. (I say seem because I'm really learning I have the capacity to veer off on almost everything). As for style, I suppose that's part of the problem, too. I lean traditional but not fussy. However, my taste has somewhat evolved and I do like some of the modern, zen, clean lines paired with chunky aestetics that have come out in the last decade. We are considering IKEA Lidingo cabinetry but are 3500 miles from a store so it's sight unseen and will be quoting other options. (Can I just say that your counters are one of my favorite ever, though likely out of our pricerange and probably not even available in Alaska? The movement in them is just so beautiful)

marcolo - Yep, you are giving me more of the stuff palimpsest is giving me that I need to hear. While I do think a lot of the white subways showcase the granites beautifully, there are plenty of kitchens where people could well be missing out on the opportunity to do something special and chicken out. Yes, yes, yes - every decision takes you towards something (something you choose and therefore want, hopefully) and further away from something else. And, what's worse, to not make a decision IS to make a decision and often, leaves one in a sea of crappy, limp, indistinct, lifeless vagueness that is not so much an affirmation of anything but an avoidance of everything. I KNOW I don't want that. And I fear I am at risk for it, thus the post. Meanwhile, while I like the blue/white, I'm not sure I want to marry it. lol (I may seem hopeless, but don't give up on me yet!! You can throw a sink at me when I frustrate you, though...)

Lisa0527 - Well, you sound like you are being brave. And, if the link is any indication, so is your friend. Holy smokes, I cannot imagine commiting to colored cabinetry like that. And yes, there ARE a ton of amazing colors out there! PS - DH sounds wonderful.

dianalo - My mom just put in corian and she LOVES it. I was recently visiting her and I have to say, I was rubbing my hands across hers, too. Often. I read about your GC/contract problems and you have my total sympathy. It sounds like a freaking nightmare. I can't wait to see your reveal someday, complete with these counters. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find more display kitchens. (And what IS it about samples looking nothing like the real deal? The same happens to me with paint chips...We need to figure out a way to fix that! lol) I also read on another thread today that you bought your counters at IKEA, didn't I? How the heck did you get rain cloud there? Or are you talking about another coordinating counter? What did you think about the IKEA counters?

rococogurl - Yes, I do think the problem is compounded by the tearing out of the wall and needing to make sure the kitchen will coordinate with the LR/entrance (which joins to the TV room/den) and the DR. I also just realize that my taste changes over time - but a kitchen is probably a one time thing for me. All of that ups the ante and risks me crucializing the decisions. I did take the Sweeny test, and managed to get my partner to answer 3-4 questions before he tiptoed from the room. I sent a few more questions his way through the doorway, which he mumbled answers to before fading out into the tv. lol A review of that is a good idea, as is continuing to pour over pictures for inspiration, and eventually, direction. I really appreciate the post - and advice to cut myself some slack. I really do want to make this fun, especially the "exploring options" part. I am just a person that relishes options - commitment, not so much. That's just how it is. I think I'm wired that way. Pisces, if it matters. lol

sophie123 - See, that's just brave. And a lovely, vibrant blue! I do think it makes sense to at least narrow down a few countertops/sample boards soon here before I get to into anything. Luckily, I have some time to play with this, as we are working on the exterior and water heater/furnace for the energy audit and nothing can really happen with the kitchen anyway. I haven't completely ruled out a consultant or even a KD, either. It would really be about finding someone who I really trusted and admired their eye/taste, though.

Being able to tease this stuff out and get some feedback is so incredibly valuable. No one in my real life is even remotely TKO and I benefit from being able to process some of this stuff out of my own head, where I can go in circles. Thanks for being companions and making the process more informed and less lonely.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Steph - Ikea had many choices of counters. We got the Corian, but they had Caesarstone, many kinds of laminate, granite, wood, and more options that aren't coming to mind at the moment. I had been planning on a really cool laminate pattern by Nevamar (Manhattan Glamour) and doing chrome edgebanding to give it a real retro feel, but when Ikea offered 40% off counters, it gave us a push to go back and see if anything else could possibly click for us. Sadly, they only carried the big brands of laminate and none had a pattern like the one by Nevamar. Dh saw the RC display first and fell in love on the spot. I was hesitant because it was a big change from our most recent plan, but the more I thought about it and the more I saw how he wanted it, I relented. I am happy with the decision although a little part of me still wonders about our laminate/chrome option.
    We had considered marble for a while (and soapstone, Caesarstone, granite...really, just about everything, lol) and the RC gave us the marble vibe without being too dressy for what we hope is a down home comfy kitchen. We put marble on our master bathroom vanity, so I got my fix that way ;)

I think we made the right decision but it is hard when you have a few good options to go with just one and never look back. There can almost be too much choice at times. I hope to someday re-do our kitchen table's laminate top and use the pattern I fell for that way. Then we will have the best of all worlds.... Luckily, it will look good near the Corian because the colors work.
    Some of our choices might be considered neutral on paper but we are using them in different ways. Our kitchen does not look like any I have seen IRL or even here on GW, so no one will accuse us of playing it too safe (and as a long time re agent, I see many houses every week). Our walls are lavender, our other colors are a mix of white, gray and black with a lot of chrome, so that is a clue that this is not a typical current style kitchen, lol.

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

Steph-- It can be fun. But what surprised me about the first reno was I learned more about myself and my process than anything else. I learned to slow down, be more deliberate about considering options and not force decisions. For me, forced=wrong. When I decided quickly it always ended up right. That proved incredibly valuable and I hope it will for you as well.

My first kitchen reno was in our house and like so many of us do, we were opening up walls to other rooms. So I started with the kitchen and used that scheme for the rest of the house. It's nearly 8 y.o. and I still love the colors scheme (ivory-yellow), counters (ss) floors (ash) and the 4-color tile backsplash that started it all (small confession: tile junkie here). What I'd love an upgrade on, even now, is appliances since those change most/fastest. But not enough has changed in nearly 10 years to really warrant any replacements even though I have an (ugh) radiant electric cooktop which should be swapped out for induction. I'm taking my time. I can't see anything really necessary for another 5 years now that we've switched to being here full time.

Second reno was in our apartment 4 years after the first one and it was exponentially easier by a factor of 10. Completely different look, color scheme, tile style. Only the dishwasher brand was the same.

I think there's a tipping point with the commitment. When you get a grasp of all the pieces and how they interconnect plus more of a sense of what you like/what -- which takes place as you shop each element over time -- it should get easier and you might even surprise yourself. Or not. LOL.

• steph2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dianalo - I didn't know IKEA sold countertops other than their own. I really need to get down to Seattle for an IKEA trip. IKEA runs some really good deals, and RC drew my eye immediately even though I wasn't sure it would contrast enough with white cabinets. I can surely see why you changed directions. Living with what might have been is part of the process, it seems. I imagine that even those people who declare they wouldn't do a thing different will want something different down the road. It's great you already have a plan to incorporate what you had to let go of. Can't ask for much more than that.

I love, love, love marble - but I'm just not sure we are cut out for it. My aunt bought a new house in Florida that has marble in the bathroom and she is going nuts. Everything is etching it and she has had men out something like 3 times in a year to try to figure it out. I'm betting she has it ripped out within the year. And her budget makes mine look like chump change.

I can't wait to see your reveals. Not only does your kitchen sound incredibly unique, it will be such a victory after this mess you are going through to get there.

Rococogurl - I was thinking yesterday that maybe everything we do is therapy, because this is certainly going to test my weak links and give me the chance to learn about myself as much or more as I will learn about kitchens. lol Your comment reminds me of the book "Blink", which suggests our best decisions are often from the gut and not the head.

Your kitchen sounds neat - is it on the finished kitchens blog? I envy the chance to do it twice, as I do think there is a learning curve. Do you think the fact that it was a rental made it easier to design?

I spent hours searching blue and white kitchens the last couple of days and not much really grabbed me by the boo-boo, so to speak. I am also going back over the inspiration pics that have already drawn me in and looking for common/unique features of those. Having fun with it and glad I have all the time I want to take before plunging in....even if it means living with things in-process.

It should be an interesting journey, if nothing else. lol

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living