Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Building a platform for a freestanding range?

Posted by swaledale (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 13:17

Our DIY kitchen reno progresses....at a snails pace. This gives much time for thought and second guessing!

We are planning on having higher than standard counters. However there is only so much leeway in the range height and currently it will sit lower than the counters. Range is freestanding.

What have others done to compensate? Does a plywood platform do the job? I figure if it's painted black it would disappear under the stove like a black hole!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Building a platform for a freestanding range?

1. Most people who do higher than standard counters do this with a cooktop and wall ovens and thus don't have the issues that you are contemplating. Switching to that would solve your issues.

2.With a platform, it's virtually impossible to remove the range for routine maintenance and cleaning. With a pro grade range, it WILL be impossible to move in or out without owning an air sled.

3. It is a code violation (based on the HUGE fire safety risk) to have the range be below counter height.

4. It will be virtually impossible to get anyone else to buy into your vision down the road. As in, you'll be killing your resale value rather than adding to it with a fresh new kitchen. (See the discussion linked below.)

If changing to a cooktop and wall ovens isn't doable, you might scrap doing the perimeter counters at taller height and just do the island or peninsula taller than standard.

Here is a link that might be useful: 40

o

Thanks Hollysprings, some good points. Perhaps I was overstating how high we would be going with the stove. I'm thinking 37" countertops - so 2 inches of plywood at the most underneath.

Cooktop and wall ovens are not an option at this time nor common in houses in our area. This is a reno on a relatively modest budget (Ikea cabs, keeping all appliances) - I refuse to overspend on the kitchen given the modest price the house would be worth. Although we will be selling within a few years it is important to me to get the kitchen that works best for us right now.

o

Standard counters are 36". Do you really want to raise the counters only 1" if you are going to sell soon?

o

I am currently in the middle of a serious DIY renovation. Keeping my kitchen cabinets, new appliances and adding about 1" of stone countertops. I took out a 70's era drop in electric range, which was custom built in. So, to get a 30" wide 36" tall freestanding range in place, I did add a 1" platform in the old space- saws-alled out the old base, then built up 1" and used the old plywood as a base. Made sure it fit the dimensions of the feet on the new range. Propane guy had no problem pulling it out for his install. Just putting in the stone countertops and looks great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here