Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dneubecker

Looking for Creative Suggestions

mdln
9 years ago

Hello,

Countertop guy said I could do something more creative than ending the CT at edge of counter; perhaps, bring it fully or diagonally in front of the half wall. Am looking for thoughts/opinions from wise GW folks.

Side note: countertop guy here to measure and needs to come back - because the farmsink was not installed. Thanks to GW, I knew that and asked GC for it! Unfortunately, was delivered but not installed.

Also, asked GC to see taped up layout of CT before it's cut: GC said he's "never had a customer ask for that before."

I love GW, but "know" my GC is tired of hearing about it. :-)

Comments (23)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Sorry, but your picture isn't helpful. Can you take the picture from farther away and explain where in context you're talking about? (That said, I'm not a fan of diagonal ends of backsplashes)

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sorry, small galley kitchen, had to go outside and shoot this pic through window

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

from other direction

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

I think diagonally would be nice since its next to a doorway. I think there is another small kitchen in an old farmhouse who did that with a similar setup. If I find it I'll post back.

Everything looks great, and it is funny about GW knowledge because DH and I will talk about building our next house, and I'll correct him on something. He will just look at me and say "Let me guess you read that on GW." Sometimes I think I should say "Hello my name is Iowa, and I have a problem." ;)

• lannegreene
    9 years ago

What style is your kitchen. What is the counter made of? If it is very traditional I would stick with the standard squared off counter.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, GW has become an addiction!

Honed carrara marble CT, style is farmhouse - putting in barnlights.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Fir out the wall to the same depth as the other side. No wonky countertop endings that need custom support, that's for sure!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Sorry, I thought you were asking about the backsplash!

If possible, I'd bring out the wall as suggested above so the cabinets are in sort of an alcove. If that's not possible, I'd still just cover the cabinets, but that's an aesthetic decision you have to make for yourself!

• eam44
    9 years ago

You could bring out the bottom 34.5" of the right side of the wall to be flush with the base cab, have your GC install four or five shallow shelves there and bring the counter out to meet the end of the wall. That would make the space under the top useful (and supported). Otherwise, continuing that counter around the thickness of the wall with a void underneath is going to look a bit odd. If the space is too tight for this, just end the counter flush with that cab.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I wouldn't go exactly flush -- still have your overhang and let it run into the wall. I have that for my hutch, but on both sides. If you are going to have a beverage fridge in the middle, use that wall space to put a bottle opener. Folks always have fun with ours when bottles need to be opened, and it make that little wall space seem useful.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually, I really like the wall that way. It makes the kitchen a little more open. They asked me if I wanted to change it and I did not.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will be pondering them. Have, at least, until the measuring guy comes back. :-)

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

I think it would look nice to have the countertop curve around to the outer edge of the half wall. Do you have something it would be convenient to hang under there? Or put pie shaped shelves to hold small items. My son and DIL have a similar spot where they keep a box of tissues--very convenient for a house full of children.

• smalloldhouse
    9 years ago

@mdln, if I recall your layout, it's a galley that is similar in size to mine, so I totally agree with you on not extending the wall to be flush with the cabinets, at least not all the way to the ceiling. Every bit of light and space and openness is such a benefit in a space this size.

I had a similar dilemma and the GC wanted to do a pony wall with the countertop extended for an extra few inches of usable counter space. I didn't love the way that looked when I mocked it up in a layout program; maybe try it with a box or something in real life - on the computer at least in my space, it looked funny to have the lower cabinets extended beyond the upper. We wound up changing the layout and running cabinets around that corner, so it became a non-issue.

However, in the event you want to extend the counters, I'd consider figuring out some use for the space below. I can't think of what, but perhaps if you post the actual dimensions someone will have a brainstorm.

• aries61
    9 years ago

mdln, no suggestions, but your cabinets look nice in your kitchen.

• gardenwebnewbie
    9 years ago

The benefit of extending the counter on a diagonal, especially in a doorway, would be that the edge of that cabinet will a bit more protected from the going in and out activity of the kitchen. That area may get a lot of unintentional wear over time, even when you think it won't. I know the baseboard at the corner of my kitchen entrance always shows wear and smudges first before any other corner.

Let us know what you decide!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think a diagonal counter piece with nothing under it would be weird. Once you put the base molding on the wall, there's just a sliver of floor space left, so nothing really to worry about. Does the cabinet get base molding too?

I agree with lascatx that the counter should not be flush to the cabinet side. You need some overhang to match it to the front overhang.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

The countertop should have a front and side edge profile that overhang the cabinet equally with the side edge dying into the wall. No diagonal foolishness, please.

What is a "taped up layout of CT"?

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THANK YOU everyone, a lot of great suggestions that I never would have thought of. GW is better than having an interior designer or decorator, because you get many opinions.

Treb - in taped up layout they tape the stone showing where the cuts will be made, so you can see exactly what parts will be lost & kept.

Pic is not my stone, but gives you the idea. Obviously, this HO did not want the busy part of the stone.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I think I would just leave it as is and only cover the cabinets for sure in a nice tailored look. It would look awkward to try to do something tricky there. Viewing it straight on and from other angles with an extended top could make it look out of balance and like what happened here? I think that less is more in this instance, to try and do anything else with that would look too contrived, just in my humble opinion.. But if you were to do anything with it I might waterfall the granite down the edge of the cabinet. But would have to think about that a lot before doing. Looks like your kitchen is going to be great!

Example of waterfall edge with granite:

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Atlanta Kitchen & Bath Designers Kitchen + Bath Artisans

• footballmom
    9 years ago

I agree with LWO. I thought that the wall was odd and the cabinet is a perfect place for hip bruises. Fir out the wall. It just looks unfinished to me. Love the cabinets though.

• carolssis
    9 years ago

I like the idea of a curve from cabinet to wall. You could add a shelf or 2 under. I think it will look unfinished to have counter stop at cabinet side. But a couple of cute shelves under it, well ..could be useful. And a curve would be easy on the hips when passing by. Good luck with your decision.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the compliments & ideas. A LOT of what I learned from GW went into that kitchen. By far, GW was the MVP in this kitchen design.

Agree it does look unfinished. Took me awhile to figure out why it never bothered me before (it's been 16 months since I lived in the house). There used to be a rounded countertop and no cabinets in that area.

It is the single spot in the kitchen that gets the most and best sunlight. At a minimum, I'll put a plant there. However, still pondering options. Forgot to measure the space when I was there today.

Absolutely not going to fur out the wall. Don't want it and even if I did, the walls have already been plastered (yes, with real plaster).

Again thanks everyone, even those I disagree with. (I may do what they suggested when it coes time to sell the house.)

• amykath
    9 years ago

Beautiful cabinets! Can you tell us about them?