Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_in_nc

Finsihed Creamy White and Soapstone Kitchen - Pics!

mary_in_nc
15 years ago

Finally the last details of the kitchen are finished and I feel I can finally post pictures! So many thanks to all of you on GW, especially you stoners!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen Pictures

Comments (77)

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Very nice kitchen!!! Very different from mine, but I love looking at yours, too (had to scroll up to look again!).

BTW--we have some cookbooks in common!

• tinahollywood
    15 years ago

What a stunning kitchen. I just love the bookcase and the cabinets are fantastic. Congratulations. Do you just stand in it and say "wow, I can't believe I live here"?

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Love it love it love it!! My cabs in our 1923 house don't go to the top for the very same reason! and we love the dramatic shadow line! who knew? gorgeous kitchen. magazine worthy.

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

Fantastic custom kitchen. You really maximized every available nook. Well thought out and well done!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

mary_in_nc, I love your kitchen so much! It is perfect! You did a wonderful job with storage and the gorgeous factor.

What wood floor to you have since I just love how rich and warm it is?

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

It's perfect! It shares a lot of elements with my favorite kitchen on the FKB: orchidluvr's kitchen

You did a fantastic job working with some awkward space issues. I love the mixture of glass- and solid-fronted cabinets, and the small top cabinets.

How tall is your ceiling? I'm thinking of using stacked upper cabinets too, but am not sure if there's enough ceiling height. My ceilings are about 8'5".

Enjoy your beautiful kitchen! It's very inspiring!

• zoey_neohio
    15 years ago

Mary, your kitchen was an "oh, WOW!!" when I saw it. LOVE, LOVE,LOVE it!!!! Just perfect.

Is yor vent system in the cabinet above or is there a down draft in your range? If above, please share what it is. I really like this look. Thanks, Zoe

• zoey_neohio
    15 years ago

Mary, it's me again! Forgot to ask you the size of the upper cabinet that is to the right of the farmers sink. Thanks!

• Laurie
    15 years ago

Wow! Everything is so beautiful! I like that corner open shelf next to the window where you have displayed a few things. Your golden dog matches your floor : )

• sherilynn
    15 years ago

I could move in and be totally at home...dog included! :) Your kitchen is lovely and calming, yet surprises make it exciting. This is also one of the very few kitchens with glass cabinet doors that I like. Usually, they scream clutter and distract me. You have wonderful taste, oozing class and talents. You should be very, very proud of your accomplishments. I'm proud for you!

• brachl
    15 years ago

just beautiful! i love it all, especially the bookcases and the cabinets -very classy- enjoy!

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Mary, it's wonderful! I love everything about it. It looks like it's a magazine spread for a gorgeous cottage or country house. The details are perfection. I'm so happy that you get to cook and live in such a beautiful room now.
    Lynn

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Oh I am so glad you posted your "final" pictures! I just love, love, love your kitchen. It is beautiful! Great combos with the cabs, stone and backsplash. Congrats on a job well done! So, main question, does it cook a dream? Sure looks dreamy!

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You guys are so kind with your comments! Yes, it really is a great space to cook...and clean! I feel very fortunate to have been able to create it. I am now having fun sharing it with friends and family.

Marthavila- Regarding the Liebherr refrigerator, I love, love, love it! I read about it on GW. The German's really know how make efficient use of space! And it is so quiet!

lynn2006- It's funny how many people have commented on how the floor matches the dog! Great for hiding all the hair! They are the original oak floors with a clear finish. I would want nothing else.

egganddart49- When the cabs first went in they were dramatically different from the previous. They were so tall! I felt like Alice in Wonderland. I've gotten use to them now. The ceiling height is 9 feet.

zoey_neohio- The stove and the vent were the biggest pain to design around. Because of how they are jammed almost in the corner we were limited. I didn't want a big hood because we would have lost a lot of cabinets on the wall next to the stove. My GC recommended this vent. It is made by Sirius. It meets the minimum requirements for a 30in DF Wolf. Some would argue we need something larger. We never have all four burners going and rarely do any frying. The cabinet it is in is roughly 33 wide x 21 tall x 14 deep. The other cabinet you asked about to the right of the farm sink is 12" deep x 53" tall.

Thanks again!
    Mary

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

marilyn234- The faucets are from Rohl's line called Perrin & Rowe. It is model U.4746 in satin nickel. I got them off EBAY at about half price.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

congratulations! it's beautiful. enjoy it in health! thanks for posting the pics. cabinets are lovely... soapstone fabulous. i'm loving it.

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

What a lovely space! Very inviting and you can tell it's well thought out.

• cookie08
    15 years ago

All this time I've wanted creamy white cabinets with white counters (quartz most likely but possibly granite) & a white 36" Shaw's sink. After seeing all the great soap stone counters & sinks, I might have to change my dream plan.

• arlosmom
    15 years ago

Mary, I love this kitchen. I've come back to your posting at least 5 times now and every time I see something new that I love. I love all the jogs and zags that break up the space and the way you've worked in the bookcases. Amazing and beautiful. I bet this kitchen is a joy to work/play in.

• katieob
    15 years ago

Mary,

Firstly, what a beautiful kitchen! My yellow lab sneaks into every photo I take-adorable golden!

Secondly, I've been reading the kitchen forums for a while as we are in the very early stages of building a home. I am gathering information for the kitchen. My "pipe dream" is a Christopher Peacock scullery look. I also love the kitchen from the movie "Something's Got to Give". Your kitchen is right up that alley! Okay-my first question is:

Is your soapstone considered "Original" or "Ice Flower" and the PA Original is the color? I am very new to all this, so please excuse my confusion.

What a great resource this forum is-tons of knowledge & experience.

Thanks!

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

arlosmom- THanks for the complements! I have to say "back at ya! Your kitchen is beautiful!!!

Katieob- The "Something's Gotta Give" kitchen was one of my inspiration kitchens! Regarding the soapstone Green Mountain Original is no longer being quarried. The stone from the new quarry is called Original P.A. They still have Ice Flower. I was told they are having problems with Ice Flower right now. What's coming out of the quarry is soft and some slabs are cracking when fabricated. I love my Original PA!!!! It is a harder variety of soapstone. SO far no issues with chips, dings, or scratches! It is staying dark. I last oiled it weeks ago. Can't say enough good things about it!!

Aside- Just for fun I put my space on "Rate my Space" a week ago. It was the top space for most of the week! IT was fun getting all the positive strokes. Alas, others have posted more beautiful spaces and I have been "knocked off the throne...." :( It was fun while it lasted.....

Thank you GW! YOu have been a HUGE help with designing the kitchen I have always wanted!!! I could not have done it with out you all! I hope I can pay you back with posts of my experience through the process!

Mary

• arlosmom
    15 years ago

Mary, I was showing my husband your pictures this morning because your's is truly one of my favorites. His question -- where's the trash? We looked and looked and can't figure it out. Please solve the mystery!!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Mary, you still "reign" in my book :)

Love your kitchen and so glad to hear you are loving your soapstone. I called Green Mountain Soapstone and they referred me where to go look at it and I saw some very nice slabs. How do you like your latches? We ordered a Sharp microwave drawer, so how are you liking that as well?

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Arlosmom and DH- The trash is directly to the right of the drawer microwave. I am loving it being hidden!

Pluckymama- There are a LOT of latches out there, believe me. I ordered everyone of them. For ORB finish Rejuvination has the best latch. It's well made, has a good finish, and very easy to turn. The latches come in two sizes. I went with the smaller size. The best made latch I felt was by Hortons Brasses. I did not like their ORB finish. They will do custom finishes for no extra charge. They tried to match my bin pull but couldn't do it. I am very happy with Rejuvination. You will notice on the lower cabs with glass fronts I used knobs. I figured these would be the cabs we used the most because they have glasses, plates, etc. It also gives this case I slightly different feel. The knobs are from Restoration Hardware. I think they are called Four Seasons. You have to look at them on their website. They some really beautiful detail to them.

The Sharp Drawer MW is great. It was a splurge , I know, but it met our needs. I did not want a MW on my counter. I did not want a regular MW under my counter. Mine is the manual pull. It has kind of a "blue motion" action on it that I can hit it with my hip and it will finish closing. I bought some plastic vented lids from Bed Bath and Beyond. They sit above your food so no direct plastic to food contact (I have a phobia of this). The only limitation a person may have with the drawer MW is the height. Hasn't been a problem for me because most of my dishes, bowls , etc are shallow.

Thanks for the compements!
    Mary

• katieob
    15 years ago

Mary,

Thanks for the info on the soapstone. I really love the look of yours set against the farmer's sink & the creamy cabinets-what a crisp, fresh look. I will definitely be using your info when it is time. Enjoy your great work!

• sankaty_91
    15 years ago

Great kitchen! It has become my inspiration. I've been looking at the Wolf 30" Duel Fuel but am having a problem locating a vent. Where is yours? I don't see it in the picture. I had planned to install mine in an island situation and do not want to use an overhead vent because it would restrict our views out the window.

• jammonit
    15 years ago

that is amazing! I love it!

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sankaty_91 - The vent for the stove is above the stove. It is fitted into the cab. It is by Sirius. Some would argue we should have a bigger vent. It meets the minimum requirements for the Wolf 30in DF. We rarely use all four burners and rarely stir fry. Check with Wolf. I would call them directly. I don't think you can use the down draft vent with the DF range. You may have to get a cook top with a down draft and put an electric convection oven under it if you don't want a hood above. Folks on the appliance forum would be helpful with this.

• zoey_neohio
    15 years ago

Mary, I am still drooling over your kitchen. Hope you are still out there because I was hoping you could tell me the measurements of your pantry. I am assuming it's your pantry that is to the right of your micro. How are you liking it? It looks like a nice old fashinioned cupboard and that's the look I am going for. Any pictures of it opened? Thanks so much. Zoe

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Mary, I am still drooling as well. I love looking at your kitchen when your thread comes up, I always click on it! I love your soapstone countertops, even though I've decided against that route for myself, I can't help but think how beautiful they are in your kitchen :)

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Zoey- The pantry is approx 12" deepx 36" wide by 68" tall. Add the second layer of cabinets and it is roughly 90" tall. Add the third layer of cabinet and it is about 9 feet tall. I really hate showing the inside of my cabinet! Here goes!

• zoey_neohio
    15 years ago

Thanks Mary! I appreciate you opening the doors for me. I was hoping it was only 12 inches in depth because that is what I have to work with and yours looks very functional and very neet!!

You are so lucky to have all this behind you. It came out sooooo perfect!!! Thanks again, Zoe.

• vjrnts
    15 years ago

What a lovely kitchen. I am struck again by how clean and elegant inset cabinets are. Mine are stained oak, yours are painted, but they have that same traditional appeal.

You've done a beautiful job.

• mike_r_2000
    15 years ago

Wow, incredible job - I remember seeing the nearly finished pics a little while back - quite impressive seeing the finished product!

• cookie08
    15 years ago

I have fallen in love with your soapstone. The white veining is just beautiful. So I've been reading about soapstone and on one site I read that you have to use trivets and coasters. Trivets I'm o.k. with, I never set hot pots on my laminate counter - but coasters? I've never used coasters in the kitchen before.

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cookie08- Trivets and coasters??? What??!! There is a LOT of misinformation out there about soapstone!! You will not find one trivet or coaster in my kitchen!! I love being able to take a hot pan off the stove and set it right on the soapstone. Remember, this is the stuff you find in chemistry labs! On another thread there is a discussion about water rings. Yes, if I leave a wet object on it there will be a ring. Easily remedied with a single wipe with an oily rag. Easily avoided by just wiping off the water. I hate maintaining anything. I am a low maintenance person. My soapstone is low, low maintenance.

• cookie08
    15 years ago

It is certainly beautiful. All the soapstone imitations don't even come close to the beauty of yours.

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

Dear Mary,
    Could you please tell me the dimensions of your pass through and did you add that with kitchen project or was it already there. It looks really nice. We are thinking of doing that in our kitchen. Thanks

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Okay, Mary, I'm just echoing what's been said above: Absolutely beautiful kitchen! It looks like such a friendly place. When I look at elegant, fantastic kitchens, I may admire, and even drool . . . but the bottom line for me is whether or not it looks like somewhere I'd feel at home. Yours passes with flying colors. I'd love to come over and cook with you!!

All this and a Golden, too! We lost our 13-year old Golden Sam last Christmas and will get a GR puppy when our new house is finished -- give yours a hug from me.

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

marybeth1 The pass through was already there. It was an old window. The previous owner added on the dining room and created the pass through. It measures 53in wide by 34in tall. The frame is roughly 5.5in.

Hostagrams Thanks for the compliments! I'm sorry to read of your loss. I have had my Maggie for a year. She was from a Golden Retriever Rescue group. Feel free to come on over anytime to cook and meet Maggie!! :)

• want2bsure
    15 years ago

Beautiful!!! How big is your kitchen? You seem to have it all, but it doesn't seem all that large. I do love it. Thanks for all the details.

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

want2bsure- Thanks for the compliments! The kitchen is in an L-shape roughly 11x15. The walk area is roughly 3 feet wide. I like that it is easy to reach anything. Don't have to walk far or around anything. It is plenty big enough for two to cook together. We are loving entertaining. My new thing now is learning artisan bread baking. Just picked up Peter Reinhart's book "The Bread Baker's Apprentice." Looking forward to a class with him this fall.

Mary

• minette99
    15 years ago

Mary, I so love this! This is one of my favorite kitchens ever! I love your soapstone and your cabinets are divine. Beautiful appliances and I love the glass door cabinets, too. So charming and inviting. It's breath taking, really.

2 questions:

You mentioned the range hood, but I don't see it... help!
    Did you stay with the original layout?

Again, magnificent job, very special!

• minette99
    15 years ago

Ah, OK, I found your post on the vent... never heard of a vent tucked into cab. I'm confused :) The vent goes thru the cab? So do uou use the cab? This vent is new to me! :)

• yesdear
    15 years ago

Beautiful and classic! Well done. Love the gorgeous soapstone and all the nice finishing touches. Looks like an inviting place to do some serious real-world cooking. Enjoy!!

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Now this is a beautiful kitchen. I love your face jug collection among other things.

• julienpete
    15 years ago

Beautiful!!! Could you tell me where you got the hinges? They seem like a perfect match for the pulls etc. Are they also oil rubbed bronze? Thanks!!!

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Minette99- The vent is actually up inside the cabinet. The doors do open for access to the vent but it is not a useable space. It vents directly out the back wall. I am able to use the cabinet on the very top. I'll try to post a picture of it.

Julienpete- The hinges are by Amerock and they are black. They came with the cabinets. The ORB by Amerock came no where close to matching the rest of our ORB hardware. The black was the best match. There is enough distance between pieces of hardware that you really can't appreciate any difference.

Newdawn1895 You noticed the face jugs! Thanks. My husband and I both love to collect them.

• sankaty_91
    15 years ago

Hello Mary, I'm still looking at your beautiful kitchen. A few questions - it seems as if the drawer pulls that you used from Deltana only come in one size. Do you think they would work on a 36" drawer?

Is your dishwasher behind a cabinet panel? If so, is that hard to do? I am using my current dishwasher which is only a year old and has a white front. It is a Kitchen Aid. I'm wondering wheither I could order a cabinet front for it.

Once again, your kitchen is fabulous!

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sankaty Thanks for the compliment! I love my Deltana pulls. They have a nice flat finish that matches well with the latches and with the soapstone. I think a single pull will be fine on a 36" drawer.

The dishwasher is to the right of the sink and, yes, it is panelled. It is a Miele Optima and ordered specifically for panelling. The panel was ordered along with the cabinets and slipped right on. Check with Kitchen Aid to determine if your model can take a custom panel.

One reason why we chose the Miele is because of how the panel is flush with the rest of the cabinets. Some DW with panel kits stick out a little. They are not trully flush. I forget which brands but I think Kitchen Aid is one.