Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gem_cap

Help with dimensions for a max use Super/ Lazy Susan

Gemcap
9 years ago

I've gone through the various very informative threads/ pictures of Corner susans and drawers and am bending towards Susans.

I have a deep corner with one counter 30 inches deep and the other 24 inches. What kind of dimensions should I be looking at to maximise the corner space; and how wide should the single cabinet drawer be? Are there varying depths for Corner Susans (esp the kidney bean shaped variety). The shaded area in the picture is where I want the corner Susan.

Many thanks for your help.

Comments (6)

• ajc71
    9 years ago

The kidney bean (or Jelly Bean as we have started calling it) is a lemans corner made by Kessebohmer....they come in a few different sizes

We always make the door 20", don't forget to add at least 2" though for the blind panel coming out of the corner....so we would have 22" from the face of your 24" counter to the far edge of the lemans door. Per the specs you should be able to use a 18" door, but we have found that to be much too tight and have since always stick with a 20"

There is some variation to the sizes if your cabs are framed or frameless...

Lemans 2 is a little nicer and has a soft close built-in to the unit

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

No idea if this is helpful.
    I think an asymmetrical supersusan could be made if your cabinet makers are skillful. In my sketch, the center mark indicates the center of rotation for a super susan, not a pole.

The drawing on the left shows the susan in position so that the doors can close
    The drawing on the right shows the susan rotated so that it protrudes beyond the cabinets for easy access to the contents. Note the asymmetry of the wedge shaped cutout due to the differing depths of the two cabinets.

This does assume that you are willing to use part of the 24 inch cabinet for the susan. Otherwise you would have to use one of the pull out access devices like those suggested by ajc71.

No idea if this is useful--or even if it can be done. It just occurred to me and I wanted to share it with you.

• Gemcap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bellsmom: thanks very much for the drawing. I'm not sure if the cabinet maker is skilled enough to do that, so also considering ready made options.

ajc- 71: thanks for the infor reg Kessebohmer. I hadn't heard about them. Have you used Vauth-Sagel corner cabinets? Would be grateful for any feedback on comparisons between the two.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

One of our salesmen who visits our office regularly just took on the Vauth line, he dropped off a couple of the trash bins and their version of a magic corner for us to play around with....

First impression was that the quality was decent, installation was fairly easy (although the instruction sheet was a bit difficult to follow)

Made in Germany, not designed in Germany and made in China

Price point is better then Kesse, quality just a tad lower...for sure I would use the Vauth hardware in my own kitchen. They also offer very nice pantry pull outs and a wide variety of trash/recycle solutions

• Gemcap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks very much ajc71. That's good to know. I'm struggling to make out the difference between the two from their web photos ; so far can't really made out much difference. "Made in Germany, not designed in Germany and made in China " Does Kessebohmer do that or are they truly made in Germany?

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Kesse is made in Germany as well....only way to tell the difference is to physically try each piece of hardware, as I said I would give the slight edge to Kessebohmer but not by much

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio