Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Our wood look tile was not laid randomly!

Posted by rach4136 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 13:13

I just posted this in the flooring section but I need feedback quickly and I know that the kitchen forum gets much more traffic. Plus, we are also doing a kitchen remodel right now and with all of the research I have done here this forum feels more like home :)

I am out of town with our 3 young kids while our kitchen and back room are being remodeled (I know, I know never leave during a reno) and my husband sent me pics of our new wood look tile floor. I am horribly disappointed! The tile installer laid the tiles in a pattern that I feel makes the floor look choppy and much more like tile than wood. I had assumed (I know, mistake #2) that the tiles would be laid randomly to look like a true hardwood floor as this is what seems to be the standard way of doing things based on all that I have read. I called our contractor (who I really like) to tell him about it and he said that he would go over and take a look. Before I talk to him I would like more opinions on how this should be handeled. For those of you out there who have installed wood look tiles, have or would you ever consider laying them in a pattern like this?
I know I am being picky but we spent a lot of money on the reno and I know that the opportunity to improve this part of our house won't come again for a very long time (my husband hates this kind of stuff).

Thank you in advance for any input you can offer!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Our wood look tile was not laid randomly!

Even when laying regular tile in an offset pattern, the tiles would normally be laid in thirds or halves. I don't quite understand why your setter picked that particular offset. It gives the impression of having a series of stripes going crosswise to the grain.
With the size of your planks, the setter would have been better off using an offset of thirds.

o

You can't really do a random pattern with those tiles. They're all the same length (not random lengths like wood), and they can only be offset by a certain amount due to the warpage (those long, skinny tiles tend to warp during manufacture). The other alternative would have been to stair-step the pattern. Did you talk about that with the installer ahead of time? I think it looks like a good job. Has it been grouted? If it hasn't, be sure to do sample boards and choose a grout that blends with the tile rather than contrasts with it. On my monitor there is a big contrast, and I'm hoping it hasn't been grouted yet.

o

I see what you mean. I would think a good tiler would have done a better job making it look like random planks but the over all job looks good. I would ask them to install it the way you want it but you may have to pay the labor to re-do if it wasn't stipulated as to how you wanted it laid.

o

I've talked to my contractor about this. He explained how they avoid the "unrandom" look. They work vertically across the room, one narrow elongated stripe at a time and then at the cut point at the end of a string of long plank tiles, they begin going back to the beginning/bottom of previous "stripe" with the next "line of planks", i.e. they use that particular piece left over from the adjacent "string" at a point across the room (or space) from where they ended, hence, they start a new cut point that won't coincide with any of the cut points from adjacent "stripes" (or even two over or three over, etc) stripes.
Hope that makes sense about the stripes.

He thinks "stair stepping" the tile is not the right way either. Just do a row and use the cut piece at the end for the beginning of the next. Unless the width of the room is some exact number of lengths of tiles, should be okay. If length of tile divides evenly into the length of the room, then need to arbitrarily cut off a random sized piece from the tiles so they will not line up evenly. Not a good look, I agree. If it were my floor I would be VERY unhappy.

o

Elphaba, your floor is stair-stepped. If he didn't think it was the right way to do it, why did he do it that way?

o

Look closer - it is not stair stepped - NONE of the horizontal edges of tile line (the short edges) up with each other. Of course, there will have to be a random stair step - you can't lay ANY tile without one horizontal edge on one plank intersecting with the side of an adjacent plank (LOL) - he's talking about a predictable stair step.

o

Hate to say it, but I'd be unhappy too. Has your contractor worked with the wood plank tiles before? It was our contractor's first time. He does alot of tile (as well as hard wood floors). We talked about how they should be set just as he'd set a hard wood floor. We practiced with some tiles ahead of time so he knew what we were looking for.

I agree with Catbuilder re: grout color. Also, you're looking at the room unfinished. Once your put furniture, area rug, etc in the space it may not be as noticeable.

o

Well, stair-stepped or not, elphaba's installation is a big improvement over the OP's. I wish I knew why the setter used that offset of just a few inches. Maybe it's some new trend ... ? Grouting it might help it blend in better.

o

Please, you are not being picky. That is one very sad looking installation. Unbelievable. The only way it can be handled is to rip it out. That would be at their cost because it's nothing more than a hack job on their part. Judging by that demonstration of their skill level, there could be other problems as well.

There must be a lot of pictures around how to lay that type of tile. Yours will go in the Hall of Shame, unfortunately.

Don't let them do the stair stepping method, which looks like this. The first picture is an exaggerated example. Usually they work in smaller columns, not a full flight of stairs (one column) across the whole width of the room. They do this because it's easier, to save time, which is why the professionals call installers who do this hacks.

So sorry to see what happened to your floor. Hope it gets resolved without a battle.

Here is a link that might be useful: layout of end joints

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 13:39

o

Just for my own education, what's wrong with stair stepping? Is it not random enough?

o

Stair stepping often is very obvious just by glancing at the floor. That is not want you want. If the stair stepping is done in a subtle, not predictable way, then floor will look much more natural and even if you aren't trying to fool people that it is wood (which we aren't), you still don't want it to look like a checkerboard, IMO.
Check this thread and you will see the picture above posted by Snookums of how you don't want to do stair stepping. - IMO though this would be better than what Rach4136 (the orig poster) has posted. What you want to do is be sure to hire experienced, competent tilers. From what I have learned, tiling is not as easy as I once thought it was.

o

Msrose, I think it's just an aesthetic issue with the stairstepping, (as long as the joints are far enough away from each other). It's a shortcut they use to slap down the flooring as fast as possible and the results do not create a random effect. It does not look very good to see a distinct installation pattern like this on a floor. Also, when the wood contracts during cool weather, enlarging the gaps between boards, the odd looking step or "lightning bolt" pattern of the joints becomes even more apparent.

With wood flooring, there are standards for laying the boards, spacing the end joints, both for structural and aesthetic reasons. The "h" joint should be avoided also. That one involves a structural issue, not just poor aesthetics, as the end joints are a weak point.

H joints, where every other board the ends at the same location. (They should not be too close either, there is a minimum distance between joints per flooring standards).

If rach's floor were wood, the joints would be structurally bad both because they are the weak H pattern and because the joint of the middle board is also too close to the neighboring board's end point.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 18:02

o

Wow. "Hall of Shame" seems pretty rough.
I agree, the way it is laid is not optimal, nor the way I would like it. But really, once you grout and furnish, will it be that noticeable? Only you know that given your floorplan and furnishings.

o

Wow, I am learning a lot about wood floor installations on this thread ... glad I'm seeing this before my wood flooring goes in!!

o

Sorry, but it is a really bad installation and the installer should be ashamed. She really should know that, given the expense. It could effect resale too. Wrecking someone's (expensive!) floor like that is a disgrace and it's a disgrace to the tiling trade.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 17:20

o

Hi everyone! Thank u so much for the honest feedback. I just spoke with my contractor and he went by to look at the floor and agreed that it was not laid in the standard way. He said it was due to a miscommunication between his installer and one of the other guys on the job. He said that we have two choices: we can leave it as it is and he will compensate us or he can rip it out and reinstall it at no cost to us. Do I have a great contractor or what?! I am so glad that we paid a little more to go with someone with a good reputation that we felt we could trust! We have decided to have him redo the job bc we really want it done right. I do feel bad about it but ultimately I don't think he would blame us. Thank you so much again for your input. It was good to know that I wasn't crazy or out of line with my expectations going into my conversation with him!

o

Yes you do have a great, and responsible, contractor! Great news! Glad to hear it will be redone properly for you. It's a terrible expense and a pain but not your fault at all. What a relief it must be. It's terribly heartbreaking to have results like that.

P.S. Research the layout and have them do a large sample for you so you can see how it will go down next time. Make sure it lays flat and all of you are on the same page. You might want to check over at John Bridge Tile Forum to see what works best. Sometimes the tile needs to be laid at certain intervals to avoid lippage at the center area of long/larger tiles, where it can bow in the middle somewhat from firing.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 18:17

o

So glad your having it re-done! You would probably learn to live with it as is, but you will be much happier having it done right.

o

Whew. That is a good contractor.

Here is an old thread about laying tiles that are long, like yours. As you scroll down you will see pics and explanations.

Here is a link that might be useful: tiles installation

o

Snookums, why do you say that it was a really bad installation? I see no evidence of that. Just because your aesthetic doesn't match someone else's, doesn't make it bad. I don't for one minute think it will affect resale, and the floor certainly does not look wrecked. There are very competent tile setters, which is different from designing. If the OP wanted a certain layout, they should have communicated that BEFORE the tile was laid. Tile setters are not mind readers. I had someone put in a floor for me once, and they chose (what I thought were) the best tiles to put in the closet, because they thought those were the worst tiles! That doesn't make them (or me) a hack.

If you look at the link posted by beekeeperswife, you will see an installation done by Bill Vincent, whom many people on this forum regard as the ultimate tile setter. That job was done with an ordered (elphaba called it predictable) stair step. No one called him a hack, or said that it was a bad installation, or that he should be ashamed.

Also, the installation of these large format tiles cannot follow the rules for wood flooring, due to the warpage of the tile. They usually cannot be offset more than 1/3.

For what it's worth, I actually like the way the OP's tile was installed. I don't think the wood-look tile fools anybody, and I hate it when one material tries to mimic another material. This installation gives it a unique look, and lets it be known that it isn't really trying to pass itself off as wood, (which it never will).

o

catbuilder, I completely disagree with what you have written. And BV installed a specific tile pattern, running bond. That's unlike the wood flooring example I pointed out (a known hack technique, check out the link). I wanted her to be aware of end joints and the lightning bolt or H joint effects, in case she might somehow end up with that next.

If it weren't a ridiculous install, the gc wouldn't have said he would rip it out. As a matter of fact, a good gc would take one look at that and know it had to come out without the HO even having to say something. I think most people would recognize the floor was done by someone without a clue. It has nothing to do with my personal aesthetic.

If you find the pattern makes good sense and is pleasing to your eye, you like to do something "different" out of the norm, then that's fine. But it is not the HO's fault here. That is not how that style tile is laid out. It would also no sooner resemble or reference a wood floor, which is the whole idea to begin with. What kind of tile pattern is that? An experienced tile man knows what the traditional tile patterns are. If he has a new style or shape tile he's unfamiliar with, he'd talk to the HO and do a little research first. As with the pitfalls of larger format tiles. They don't decide to make up some sort of a pattern they like on their own, without talking to the customer first. Surprise! That makes no good sense for anyone involved.

Sorry you don't like my language or reaction, but I am just so sick of this sort of thing. She's very lucky to have a good honest contractor who isn't trying to pull the wool over her eyes. Not always the case, as we see often here.

P.S. I will take back calling the guy a hack if he was just a laborer, not a tile pro, who simply misunderstood what he was supposed to do. He might have prepped and set very well, just the wrong layout. Still, even a tile setter, laborer, should question anything that seems odd, imo; or ensure they understand the layout correctly before proceeding.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 0:56

o

I see what you mean. They could have done a much better job. My bathroom floor was grouted yesterday. I picked a wood like 6X24 tile and the contractor laid it as if he was doing a wood floor. I know some people say to never do more than 1/3 overlap due to tile being warped, but I don't see any problem with lippage. This is a pic before it was grouted.

o

One of the characteristics of the human eye is that we see patterns in pretty much everything; our brains even make patterns/pictures out of incomplete data like figures in clouds or in the fog on the bathroom window. In this case, even if this is a room that will have a rug and furniture, all of the exposed parts will draw the eye which will happily pick out the crenelations until they disappear under the sofa or wherever.
 photo crenelations_zps33d05b43.jpg
I'm glad you are getting this fixed.

o

Hopefully you will get what you have pictured in your mind. I would have been upset with this also. rach4136 I like the color of your tile can you tell me the name and who makes it?
And lilymila can you tell me more about the tile in the floor of your shower?

o

I agree this floor looks terrible and am so happy you have a good GC who recognizes that. I hope the fix goes well!

o

Totally agree with the overwhelming majority here that your floor badly needed correcting. So glad you had a contractor with integrity and competence to recognize the floor was done improperly. Hope you put the good word out about him in your neighborhood. (Is he anywhere near Houston?)

The only thing I agree with catbuilder about is that the longer tiles can be tricky especially when combined with a floor that isn't perfectly flat. But there are techniques to use that still provide options even with an uneven floor that produce something a whole lot better than what you originally have.

o

You have a contractor that I would definitely give a generous tip or gift to.

o

@robinle, the bathroom floor tiles are Bedrosians Prestige in oak. I got them from Lowes, which was very convenient, much easier to get than the Porcelanosa wall tiles I picked.

o

For some more variation we used a wood look tile in 2 different lengths. We used Barrique tiles and they had no bowing. My DH laid out a "random" pattern that repeated every 8 rows. The tiler made notes and then used that pattern to lay them out.

o

I suppose this would be considered a hack job, too? It's exactly the same pattern as the OP's floor, just the tiles are a different proportion.

By the way, the laminate flooring shown above by Snookums is laid precisely how elphaba described her floor was laid. "Just do a row and use the cut piece at the end for the beginning of the next."

Lilymila, if your tiles were not warped badly and there is no lippage with the cross joints at 50%, then it's perfectly fine to lay it that way.

I cannot stress enough that if you want tile laid in a certain pattern, you have to communicate that. Before a single tile is laid. And again, just because you don't like the pattern that this installer used, it doesn't mean he is a hack and doesn't know his job. It actually took far more skill and patience from him to lay it this way, than the way elphaba's was laid, since nothing in elphaba's install had to line up perfectly.

o

elphaba and lilymila, what is your brand and model of your wood look tile?

Lilymila, could you take a picture above both the shower pebbles and the tile?
That looks like a brilliant combination.
Do you think the pebbles in the shower will be comfy on the feet?

o

catb, that is an entirely different application and style tile. Why don't you take your point of view over to John Bridge Tile Forum and see what they say.

P.S. It's not the installer's house. The tile pattern needs to please the customer, not the installer. We don't know how this happened, but it's the professional's job and responsibility to get things done right. That includes discussing the project and educating the customer as necessary. Customers are often, probably usually, out of their element. Who wouldn't ask how a person wanted their tile laid, or discuss the options and issues?

Of course the HO should also be proactive, but maybe they did not know the tile could be laid any other way than the typical running bond. I don't think anyone would have anticipated the layout that happened here.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 22:55

o

catbuilder - I don't agree that the shower wall you posted (in a vertical running bond pattern) is the same as the floor pattern posted at the top of this thread. "apples and oranges"

The porcelain tile that was used in our shower that I posted above is
Misingi Suber. We purchased it at Arizona Tile. I think I also saw it available somewhere on the web. Goes very well with the Godmorgon white stained oak finish on the Ikea cabinets we used for our vanity. Tile is around $6 per sq ft (I think) and my tile guy liked it a lot because he said it was VERY flat, so he didn't have to do a bunch of tricks to avoid lippage (other than to use those little red plastic things - called Tuscan something or other).

The grout is 1/8 inch. Tile is not yet grouted in picture above. I didn't communicate that I wanted 1/16 if possible - something that I wish he would have asked me about but oh well, he did a great job and the floor is the first thing that people notice and compliment on when they see the bathroom.

So I definitely agree with catbuilder about communication BUT it works both ways, GC should ask the client too (especially about the esthetics) and not expect to be able to do whatever he wants to make his job easier as long as the client doesn't think to give him directions. IMO

I am having the same tile for our master bath. I am continuing to learn (along with my tile guy) and have come to the conclusion (also because of reading on the John Bridge Forum) that with porcelain wood plank tile, it is best to go with grout that is a little bit darker than an exact match and also to use as narrow spacing as you can (which depends on how flat your tile is from what I understand at this point.)

o

MareLuce, the wood look tile is Bedrosians Prestige and they are only $2.48 sq ft. The pebbles are sliced, from a company call zen paradise. They are perfectly flat and doesn't feel like standing on river rocks.

o

Interestingly enough, the tiler did a great job lining things up so the eye doesn't see something wonky! I kinda feel bad for the tiler, since I know it took some care to line things up. Despite the crap I've been through (and married to) I still believe people don't set out to do a bad job. Some (not necessarily this tiler at all) just fall into the "good enough for now" laziness.

It might not be what the OP expected, and she's getting it changed. Done.

I see a problem trying to have tile look like wood in the first place.

o

Interestingly enough, the tiler did a great job lining things up so the eye doesn't see something wonky! I kinda feel bad for the tiler, since I know it took some care to line things up. Despite the crap I've been through (and married to) I still believe people don't set out to do a bad job. Some (not necessarily this tiler at all) just fall into the "good enough for now" laziness.

It might not be what the OP expected, and she's getting it changed. Done.

o

Christine, I totally agree.

o

Was there anything in the purchase order indicating how it was to be installed? Anything even verbal?

o

Hi everyone!
Thank you so much for your feedback!! Sorry I have taken so long to reply. I just moved the kids and I back into the house and it has been a little overwhelming living in a construction zone with 3 little ones to say the least!

I can't tell you all how much I appreciate your opinions and the helpful tips that you have provided for our next go at the flooring (which hopefully will begin next week!).

For those of you who asked about the grout color, according to our GC the color is the Saddle Brown that I requested but I swear it looks so much lighter laid than it did when I saw the sample. The second time around I definitely plan on choosing a grout that it noticeably darker than the tile.

Catbuilder, I know that you in particular do not believe that the GC should be responsible for redoing the job. And had he laid the tile in the more standard, random way and I had been upset that he did not do a pattern that I had my heart set on, I would agree with you. But even if we suppose that he thought the pattern he chose was a more attractive option than laying the tiles randomly, I feel that I should have been asked if I too preferred the pattern.

Ultimately, as I posted before, the GC saw the job and agreed that it was not done the way they typically lay wood look tile and said that he would cover the costs of redoing the job. He said that the pattern was used due to a miscommunication on their end so maybe if that had not occurred the tile layer would have asked for my input?

lilymila, your bathroom is gorgeous!!! Thank you for providing info on the shower tile. Bathroom renos will hopefully be next year's project so I will be sure to refer back to your post :)

robinle - My sister was also interested in getting the same tile laid in her house but when we looked up the info on the box we couldn't find anything. I will try and call our tile store for more info and will post what I find out!

Thank you again to everyone for your responses to my post! I've been blown away by all of your knowledgeable guidance!! And I'll try and remember to post pics of the finished product.

o

"the grout color, according to our GC the color is the Saddle Brown that I requested but I swear it looks so much lighter laid than it did when I saw the sample. "

Check the color against a sample stick. Could be that they used too much water. That can cause gray effluorescence and even the pigment to be washed out. I think it even says something about it on the bag. Even so, it doesn't always help to warn them first, lol. So what to do.

o

Hi,
We've had the wood look tile for about 10 years. You will be pleased with it. Since you have the opportunity to redo I suggest getting a different kind of grout. We originally had the bagged sanded and it was a nice dark color. But over the years of mopping the color comes up and is lighter, sort of the color that I see in your picture.

Our installer wasn't very good so we've had to patch some places where it cracked or lifted out of the grout lines. The grout that I like the most is Tec Invision. I think the brown color is Terrain, but look at the colors on the label when you go to Lowes.

We experimented with a number of types of grout to fix our install and this one is really impressive. We have infloor radiant heating so it has to tolerate alot of temperature fluctuation. Also there is movement between the rooms because of how the floor heating is set up. Our old grout cracked at all the doorways. This one does not.

The Tec Invision is crack resistant and doesn't lose the color over time. No need for sealing either so no repeat application of noxious chemicals. It will be more expensive up front but the labor is the real cost, not the materials.

I've had my master bathroom (different type of tile, not wood look) regrouted with the white Tec Invision and have been very pleased with the performance. Much easier to clean. I wish we had done the whole floor with it from the get-go. This year I'm going to regrout my entrance way and main bath with it. We have too much wood tile to regrout it all (approx. 1500 sqr ft) but I may end up doing the master bedroom because in that area the grout never got sealed so it has come up more than the others.

We have loved the wood tile look and regret not having done it for all our tile. I think you will be very happy in the end. Many people don't believe it is tile. I sometimes have to go out in the garage and get a spare piece to show them.

Cheers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowes Tec Invision grout - my favorite

o

Congrats! So glad you have a great contractor.

o

I found this post yesterday (because our installer just started laying our floor yesterday and I wanted to check out the layouts people were using). I saw this post and thought, "Man, I'm glad my installer knows what I want." And then I came home to this.

I told him I wanted it laid in thirds, waterfall effect. The planks are 36 inches, so space them about every 12 inches (give or take, with the grout lines). Nope - he laid one, then the next one third in, and then went back out to match with the first one. I couldn't believe it.

I do have to say - had I not seen this post yesterday, I don't know if I would have been paying as much attention but am so glad I was. I called him immediately and he was able to come back out and pull it all out. Now he'll start over again today.

o

Wow, sometimes you really have to wonder. Glad you caught it in time.

o

SMH. Glad you caught it!

o

Frightening stuff. You really need to be around, even when instructions are clear -including written and drawings, clear as day. Manufacturers have the same problem. Unbelievable things can happen. You are so lucky! Test your grout color first!

Mic, grout joints are usually less than 1/8" with this style flooring, requiring un-sanded grout. That could be why it is falling out.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 13:26

o

We have a tile guy who is very experienced and we discuss layout with him, then I try to draw it out to scale on both floor plans and elevations. It has been illuminating to me to see how it works out when I want A, B, and C to align for example, but the only options that actually lay out are A + B, or A +C. I don't know all the layout "rules," but I've learned the whole thing is a lot more complex than I would have thought! In the end, we agree on where we are going with the layout and we leave him with the drawing knowing it will have to be adjusted to meet reality (I'm sure my sketched grout lines are not precise widths).

One thing that became clear to me is that verbal descriptions can be interpreted in more than one way!

o

i use a drawing program and tile out the entire area on paper and hand the paper to the tiler.

it takes hours to lay it out, but you must do it.

I have been thru a ripout once and the resultant floor still doesn't sit exactly flat even thought the layout was redone to my satisfaction. Never again.

o

They are supposed to make sure the floor is level and flat during prep. First rule of flooring. Once they start putting it down, they have taken ownership the subfloor is good to go.

o

You know I remember when those wood look tiles first came out. I thought, what? Why would you do that? But now I LOVE them. I think the lighter colors are so fabulous in that shower picture above. WOW! I really love the wood look tile now. I wish I had somewhere to put them, oh wait!! I could put them in my laundry room, yum.. Poor hubby.

Your floor is going to be so pretty. I love that you used the wood look tiles. It's so functional especially for high use rooms that you still want to have a warm look but need the durability of tile. I love tile. I didn't know how much I loved tile until we put it in our master bath and the upstairs bath. They both had, gulp, CARPET in them!! I was never so happy to see that sitting on the driveway heading for the dump. I love it so much it just made the rooms look so much bigger and it's so pretty I want to hug it! We put travertine in the master and the Carrera marble tiles in the guest bath. Happy!

Your contractor is a doll for doing it the way you want. Can't wait to see the finished pictures.

o

milesbella - what is your brand/color of your planks?

o

"Who wouldn't ask how a person wanted their tile laid, or discuss the options and issues?" ??

I agree! I know that when my kitchen was redone almost 4 years ago, my contractor and I had different ideas about how the floor tile was to be laid. I had to hang really tough with him on it and of course, ultimately, he laid them the way I wanted! But if I had left him up to his own devices I would have had a totally different looking kitchen. With that said, how could a contractor/tile layer/anyone working on a renovation in someone's home not WANT to discuss this stuff with their client? It's one thing when an innocent mistake is made. Also, wouldn't a professional think the way the OP's floor was put down was weird looking? I dunno. Maybe not everyone sees things in patterns that way. I bet if I showed it to my husband he might say yeah, I see the lines, but I don't think anything is wrong with it.

I like the wood look tiles! I think they're really cool. And I think if someone wants them laid randomly like a "real" wood floor then they should have it that way.

o

Hello, i'm trying to decide which pattern will be better, our floor it's a Doga Cocoa 6"x36" and it will be arrive tomorrow, the cover area it's 600 sq ft, it's a second floor which include bedrooms, tv room and two bathrooms, Jenga simulation

Thanks in Advance, and sorry fo hijack the subject !!

o

"They are supposed to make sure the floor is level and flat during prep. First rule of flooring. Once they start putting it down, they have taken ownership the subfloor is good to go."

My opinion ... oftentimes, people do not want to pay for "prep." To completely level a floor that isn't level can require a lot of additional time, labor, and expense. People may want perfection, but they don't always want to pay for it.

I do think it is the installers job to point these things out to the customer, though, so they know what to expect.

It is not automatically the installers fault if the tiles do not lay completely flat. People nowadays want those really skinny 1/16 inch grout joints, even when the manufacturer of the tile they purchase recommends something bigger and that can lead to problems. The manufactures are recommending the bigger joints for a reason ... porcelain tile, even rectified, can be warped, making a completely flat install virtually impossible. These imperfections would be less obvious with a bit wider grout joint. A good setter can work wonders, but they can't work miracles. You can't expect perfection from a tile setter when the tiles aren't perfect, the floors aren't perfect, and he's not being paid to make them perfect.

o

We have oak floors and we have tile floors (in bathrooms and back hallway/laundry). Why anyone wants tile to look like wood is beyond my understanding, but that's not why I'm posting. What I'm seeing here is tile made to look like cheap, short-board, 'patchwork' wood flooring.

For anyone reading here who is installing *wood* floors, unless you somehow LIKE this broken up look, tell your installer to buy enough bundles of wood so that he can throw out all the short bits and just lay the longer planks.

o
Drawing program to show tile layouts?

> detroit_burb
> i use a drawing program and tile out the entire area on paper and hand the paper to the tiler.

Which drawing program do you use for that?

o

I'm having 6"x24" wood-look tile installed right now. The contractor is working on the prep today and will lay tiles tomorrow.

According to the manufacturer, the offset shouldn't be more than 1/3. We had planned on doing random offsets with none of them being more than 1/3 (8"). In other words, one might be 1", another might be 3.75", etc.

The installer thinks I'll be unhappy with that look because the tiles are only 24" long. He's encouraging me to go with a stair-step pattern which is not what I wanted.

He's going to lay some out both ways for me to look at, but I would really appreciate hearing feedback from you guys.

o

We just had our wood look tile floored laid today. I was not home when it was being laid either . I went ballistic , it was put down exactly the same as the first picture in this thread. Contractor was saying it was 70 /30 and it was fine. I kept complaining and finally after seeing this post, my DH and I drove to the tile store and explained the situation and showed them my picture. The tile store said it was not laid the way it should have been. So since its a Friday and contractors are not expected back until Monday., We lifted the tile ourselves .(luckily It hadn't set yet and it will be laid again on Monday.)
I am so glad I found this post-Thank you!

o

I see it is an older post, but it is a good one. Don't let down your guard for a moment. It's possible to lay a nice pattern with wood look tile. You don't have to settle, but you do have to watch them. It's thousands in the balance for being sweet and trusting unfortunately.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here