Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houseful_gw

My Dual Purpose Kitchen Table

houseful
12 years ago

I've seen quite a few threads lately asking about just the right kitchen tables. For years, I avoided buying a new table because I couldn't find a nice large one for our family of 8 that didn't either cost a fortune or was so cheap it showed. I also couldn't stand the thought of a new expensive table getting beat up.

So, I built and beat up my own. I bought 3/4" stain grade plywood, some decorative trim molding, some wood for the "apron" and some legs at the big box store. I was able to build, stain, and put three coats of poly on this in less than a week. I didn't want it perfect; I wanted it to look old. I never wanted to worry about having to use coasters or a table cloth. I used a finish nailer and didn't even bother to fill the holes. In fact we added more holes on purpose. I only sanded it before the first coat of stain.

It is big enough so that when all the food is on the table, you still have breathing room in front of you and enough elbow room on your sides. Because the trim molding I liked only came in 8 feet, I did have to have the plywood trimmed down to a little less than 4x8 to allow for the mitered corners.

First thing we did was buy this from HD. I did NOT spend $279 as is now advertised. This ensemble was on sale for less than $200 when I got it. We already had a miter saw.

FYI, nailer is empty here!!

I really wanted a tressle table, but that started to get too involved and was going to raise the cost substantially. I spent under $200 for this table. If you are up for the challenge, and don't necessarily care about perfection, it is very rewarding. I am very pleased with the way this table functions. As you can see, so are the kids!

Comments (14)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

That looks great and one would never guess it was DIY. Nice!

• rhome410
    12 years ago

We also made our dining room table, and it's also had a ping pong net strung across. :-)

Nice job!

• roarah
    12 years ago

I am very impressed!! I think it will become a treasured family heirloom!!!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Wow, that looks great! Good job!

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Beautiful! You've created a family heirloom that will be passed down for generations!

• User
    12 years ago

well I won't show the garden table I made LOL...it was along the same lines as yours but yours is gorgeous !! What a great job. I know someone else posted a table along the same lines last year...I think on deco forum...oh well there is a LOT of talent here and you rank right at the top. c

• rj56
    12 years ago

Great job! I hope you can teach your kids your woodworking skills. Those programs are being dropped in a lot of schools.

• houseful
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I appreciate the compliments! I hadn't even thought of the heirloom aspect. So, I asked the kids who might want the table when they grow up, and the only one that said, "Me!" was my 5-year-old. The rest of them looked at each other as if to say, "Not me!" They just don't understand yet! ;D

I do let the kids help and encourage them not be afraid of power tools, but they haven't built anything with me from scratch. Also, my "skills" are very limited to things like this table, shelving, and trim molding. I am working SLOWLY on a built-in bookcase, so hopefully that will turn out well.

Trailrunner, we'd love to see your gardening table!! Please post!

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Actually I liked your sawhorse legs but the finished table is really wonderful. What a great job you did. I wish you could teach me your woodworking skills!

OT - speaking of heirloom tables I have friends who have a vacation home on the Vineyard (sorry Martha's Vineyard), and whenever someone comes to stay with them, they have everybody, even little kids sign and date, and write a little note or poem and for those who can't write yet a picture, Whatever. Since the prose go back to the early 70'S you can imagine the rich history and wonderful memories. I never thought reading a table could be so much fun! I know it's OT but it I think it's a cool enough idea to share.

• barbcollins
    12 years ago

Looks great.

I am hoping to do my own project soon, using a old door as the top of the table.

How did you affix the apron to the top?

• houseful
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Celt, I think that is a great idea! What a treasure!

Barb, I drew a straight line, applied wood glue and then used very short finish nails on an angle. Then I went from the top of the table down into the apron with longer finish nails. You can see the line in the third picture above.

• erinct
    12 years ago

Very impressive!! I'm one of the many looking for "just the right kitchen table" and you have no idea how many times I've wished I could just build it myself! But I have zero woodworking skills, so the search continues!! Enjoy your masterpiece!

• dee850
    12 years ago

houseful, your table is just beautiful! Can you tell us what sort of stain you used? From the last photo, it looks like the finish has very nice depth.

One more question - did you use any sort of filler at the seam between the trim molding and the plywood top?

• houseful
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both.

Erinct, you've got to start somewhere. Maybe try a small end table first.

I used Minwax English Chestnut and then Varathane Poly in Satin. It matches my doors and my T&G pine ceiling. I did use a wood conditioner first. I believe it is three thin coats of the stain. No wood filler at all. I had the wood cut a Home Depot, so the edges were very crisp already. I sanded them a bit too. With the wood glue and finish nails it's a nice tight seam, but I would not have cared if it wasn't.