Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bober

Remodeling- coordination

bober
9 years ago

I'm planning for a kitchen remodel. My question is about how best to coordinate installation. Assume rough cabinet design & kitchen layout is complete, electrical, plumbing, is also roughly planned out.

A poster in the appliances forum stated "All appliances should be on hand before the kitchen is installed in case this happens. Manufacturers always reserve the right to make changes that are outside current model's specs. It's in the fine print. And if you've ever been burned by that, you won't make that mistake."

If that is the general advice, before finalizing cabinet design (detailed spec), should cabinet maker come on site and measure appliances, etc. only after delivery (i.e they can not rely on published specs). Assume preliminary measurements for cabinets have already been done (to get a quote).

Being that it might take 8 weeks for cabinets to be built, it seems crazy to have to sit and wait that long (take 2 months off appliance warranties, delay any potential returns, etc) . Is that the normal process or are there other recommended ways to proceed without such long delays?

I am a homeowner and will be picking the cabs and all appliances myself. I will work with a contractor :-) I do plan on discussing this with them, just thought I would ask and see if anyone has any recommendations on how best to proceed and cover as many pitfalls as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)