Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remodeling- coordination

Posted by bobelicious (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 13:08

I'm planning for a kitchen remodel. My question is about how best to coordinate installation. Assume rough cabinet design & kitchen layout is complete, electrical, plumbing, is also roughly planned out.

A poster in the appliances forum stated "All appliances should be on hand before the kitchen is installed in case this happens. Manufacturers always reserve the right to make changes that are outside current model's specs. It's in the fine print. And if you've ever been burned by that, you won't make that mistake."

If that is the general advice, before finalizing cabinet design (detailed spec), should cabinet maker come on site and measure appliances, etc. only after delivery (i.e they can not rely on published specs). Assume preliminary measurements for cabinets have already been done (to get a quote).

Being that it might take 8 weeks for cabinets to be built, it seems crazy to have to sit and wait that long (take 2 months off appliance warranties, delay any potential returns, etc) . Is that the normal process or are there other recommended ways to proceed without such long delays?

I am a homeowner and will be picking the cabs and all appliances myself. I will work with a contractor :-) I do plan on discussing this with them, just thought I would ask and see if anyone has any recommendations on how best to proceed and cover as many pitfalls as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remodeling- coordination

bobelicious:

You are right to be concerned, but if you're acting as your own kitchen designer that would concern me more. There are many things to know and the people who know them have usually paid a heavy price for that education. You will pay for that education by hiring a designer or by attending the school of hard knocks yourself. The former is much less expensive and timely than the latter. Of course you could get lucky.

Manufacturer's are just looking to cover their butts. I wouldn't worry about substantial changes to installation specifications. A 29 7/8" range does not become 30 1/4" overnight.

o

>A 29 7/8" range does not become 30 1/4" overnight.

No, but manufacturing variations, especially where insulation is involved, could make it a 30 1/4" range. This is especially true with refrigerators.

Either have the appliances on hand or give a little extra 'scooch' room for installing them and deal with the fillers after.

o

This paralyzing fear of specification deviation is what's helping fuel the nearly year-long kitchen remodels posted so often here.

o

Thanks for the replies.

Trebuchet,

I realize the risk with no KD but just recently have gone through a remodel myself + contractor for my 2nd floor (built in cabs, washer/dryer room) so feel pretty good about taking the design risk. Thanks for mentioning though. I've spent many hours over the last 6 months with the rough design (function, layout, etc.). That said, I do plan on posting my layout on this forum to get some feedback (just figured out how to post > 1 image in a post ).

Big difference, for me, with a kitchen that I see is # of appliances, countertops, flooring, so a good deal more coordination required, which led to my question. I'm still curious about how others, in general, deal with the coordination (cabs, appliances, allowing for tolerances - rule of thumbs? ).

Again, thanks for your comments!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here