Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echen_gw

Help with kitchen corner open shelves

echen
12 years ago

I need some help with kitchen wall open shelves. We are remodeling the kitchen and there is a 120 degree corner with a vent grill near the ceiling. I want to use open shelving for that section of the wall. I am doing this so I will not have wasted space in the corner and will not obstruct the vent grill with cabinets. I choose to use brackets instead of floating shelves because it seem more structrually sound to hold heavy pots/pans. Here is a picture of how I would like my shelves to look like (with the corner being 120 degree).

traditional kitchen design by new york interior designer Marlene Wangenheim AKBD, CAPS, Allied Member ASID

Here is the question. Can the planks be supported as shown in the photo, with two brackets on the sides, but no bracket in the center near the corner? Are these really floating shelves with decorative brackets?

I would prefer no brackets in the corner like in this photo, so brackets don't get in the way of storage. Is this structurally possible? What if I add backplates between brackets?

Finally, where can I get corner shelves like this? Is the only option custom building them?

Esther

Comments (3)