Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellyc123_gw

ikea gap with stacked cabinets

mellyc123
9 years ago

We are about half way finished with redoing our kitchen and I don't like the gap between the two sets of cabinets.

Has anyone stacked ikea cabinets and been able to avoid the gap between the upper and lower cabinets?

I am curious if Scherrs doors would have this same gap.

(Yes, we need to do some adjustments and add the top millwork. However that gap is still going to be there. If you measure an ikea cabinet and an ikea door, the door is shorter. )

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Those doors have a lot of adjustment; that's what I'd try.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Mine aren't IKEA, but they are installed with a trim strip (similar in appearance to a small chair rail) between them so it looks intentional.

• mellyc123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Has anyone stacked ikea cabinets and been able to adjust the doors so that there is no gap?

( I need some help to convince DH that we are going to be spending another day adjusting doors.)

• User
    9 years ago

You can't not have a gap. The doors would rub.

• Fori
    9 years ago

It looks like the same gap you'd get in totally custom cabs with stacked doors.

If possible, I'd adjust the top ones a little lower to have the same gap as between lateral doors but at least in that photo, they are looking darn good.

Even if you can't lower them any, it's nothing to worry about, unless your picture is deceiving.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I see what you are saying..I would just try and get the horizontal difference to be the same as the vertical. Might not be possible...but I don't see anything wrong with them...they ARE stacked cabs.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Mellyc123, I love the way they look. If you want no gap showing, you will I think need a railing between the stacked cabinets like someone mentioned.

What are the heights of each stacked cabinet? I can't wait to see more of your kitchen and your other choices! I love how much extra storage you will have!

By the way, what is the height of the ceiling in your kitchen? Will you be doing crown molding or just keeping it simple without it? What countertop are you choosing?

• mellyc123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Lynn206 -
    I never noticed the gap until my neighbor pointed it out. She also has Ikea cabs. I can live with it and may try adjusting again later.

My ceilings are 9'4 and I wanted crown molding at the top so I used the 30x30 and stacked the 30x18 cabs. Only one cabinet had to be custom cut for 18x18. I also wanted an extra inch from the counter to the upper cabs.My upper cabs are 7.75" from the ceiling.

• mellyc123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sorry, meant to answer the question on the counter,
    it is New Caledonia.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Thank you MellyC123 for letting me know so since I only have 8' ceilings, I would not be able to do this and have crown moldings if I decide to visit the Ikea store to see if I like these in person since I love the shade of white on my monitor and they way they look.

Nice to know that the cabinets can be custom cut. It still looks so nice.

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

i have those same exact cabinets (with the same extra space between bottom of cab and countertop even! but my top stack may be only 15. i forget.) and 108 inch ceilings and what we ended up doing was putting a cornice/trim piece between the stack. and we added a crown which is unpainted in the photo.

This post was edited by elizabeth714 on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 12:11

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Adjust the lower doors up and upper doors down, use a spacer that is the same thickness as the vertical reveals and call it a day

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

I like Elizabeth's solution, if you have the space.

• liz_p
    9 years ago

Elizabeth can you post more pic? Love to see it when done.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County