Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which backsplash?

Posted by Fensher (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 13:00

We are currently renovating our kitchen. The countertops have been installed and the walls and cabinets painted. We have chosen some samples of backsplashes that are pretty neutral since our countertop is so busy.

I can't decide on which one I like the most. I think it's going to be #1 but I'm still on the fence for that one.

Which one do you like the best?

photo image-2.jpg

photo image-2.jpg

photo image-1.jpg

photo image.jpg

And here's a pic of them all together.

photo image.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which backsplash?

Could you please post a pic of just your counters? It's hard to get a feel for them. A shot of how much bs will be in the room would be helpful as well as being able to see the paint and cabinet color.

o

Color-wise, I like #1 best, however, I think the stripes in all of them don't play well with your countertop. Can you post pictures of the rest of the kitchen so we can see the what else is going on around the counters? Pretty stone. What's it called?

o

They look busy to me, but need to see them in context. It would help if you showed more of your kitchen so we could see the style and colors of your cabs, counters and floor.

o

Color variation in the tiles can make this kind of mosaic look very busy over a wide area, and I think it is very hard to visualize the effect without doing some kind of mockup (whether taping a bunch of photocopies of the tile to your your or using Photoshop).

If your granite is busy I would avoid 1 or 2. Between 3 and 4, I can't tell which I like better--they look almost the same in the close-ups, but very different when you show all 4 options together. And I don't think either one knocks it out of the park paired with the granite.

I'm linking to a recent thread where someone was considering a similar mosaic that might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic backsplash thread.

o

Make 10-20 color copies of the ones you like and tape them up on the BS...this will give you a better idea of how the pattern will look over a larger area instead of just looking at one sample.

o

The counter reads reddish/pinkish undertones to me. The tiles are green or blue. I don't care for any of the tiles with the color of your counter. #1 has lighter tiles that seem to go, but the green tiles in the mix, kill the combination for me. Try a few samples of tiles that approximate the color of your counter, or if you want strong contrast, go with that strong gray/black in the stone.

o

altho you describe the tiles as "pretty neutral" and are trying to find something for your "busy granite" , the pencil tiles have a lot going on....for some eyes, even more than the granite. What is happening is pairing busy with busy, and the color issue can't smooth out the problem. Do some more searching....you can select glass tiles, say smaller square mosaics in the white family/silver/gray or a pinky taupe. Is it the glass that you like as opposed to regular ceramic?

o

The tiles don't look like the right style for the granite to me.

o

I don't like #2 or #3, but its hard to tell because we can hardly see any counter.

o

It seems like the undertones don't match to me as well.

And I think you need a simple, neutral tile to go with a busy granite. Generally I think the pattern can be interesting (strips or mosaic or diagonals or whatever) but works better if it's one color.

This post was edited by c9pilot on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 16:32

o

I think your pics are nice, but not quite with that counter. We have a durastone Ames tile in the Luna (which is too light for us, should have gotten the ash grey:( ), but the product is nice. Has some interest while still being fairly simple. We have the 6 x 24 mosaic

Link to post with pics and others advice

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg061445114026.html

Here is a link that might be useful: tile pic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here