Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fensher

Which backsplash?

Fensher
10 years ago

We are currently renovating our kitchen. The countertops have been installed and the walls and cabinets painted. We have chosen some samples of backsplashes that are pretty neutral since our countertop is so busy.

I can't decide on which one I like the most. I think it's going to be #1 but I'm still on the fence for that one.

Which one do you like the best?

And here's a pic of them all together.

Comments (11)

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

Could you please post a pic of just your counters? It's hard to get a feel for them. A shot of how much bs will be in the room would be helpful as well as being able to see the paint and cabinet color.

• annac54
    10 years ago

Color-wise, I like #1 best, however, I think the stripes in all of them don't play well with your countertop. Can you post pictures of the rest of the kitchen so we can see the what else is going on around the counters? Pretty stone. What's it called?

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

They look busy to me, but need to see them in context. It would help if you showed more of your kitchen so we could see the style and colors of your cabs, counters and floor.

• cawaps
    10 years ago

Color variation in the tiles can make this kind of mosaic look very busy over a wide area, and I think it is very hard to visualize the effect without doing some kind of mockup (whether taping a bunch of photocopies of the tile to your your or using Photoshop).

If your granite is busy I would avoid 1 or 2. Between 3 and 4, I can't tell which I like better--they look almost the same in the close-ups, but very different when you show all 4 options together. And I don't think either one knocks it out of the park paired with the granite.

I'm linking to a recent thread where someone was considering a similar mosaic that might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic backsplash thread.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Make 10-20 color copies of the ones you like and tape them up on the BS...this will give you a better idea of how the pattern will look over a larger area instead of just looking at one sample.

• enduring
    10 years ago

The counter reads reddish/pinkish undertones to me. The tiles are green or blue. I don't care for any of the tiles with the color of your counter. #1 has lighter tiles that seem to go, but the green tiles in the mix, kill the combination for me. Try a few samples of tiles that approximate the color of your counter, or if you want strong contrast, go with that strong gray/black in the stone.

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

altho you describe the tiles as "pretty neutral" and are trying to find something for your "busy granite" , the pencil tiles have a lot going on....for some eyes, even more than the granite. What is happening is pairing busy with busy, and the color issue can't smooth out the problem. Do some more searching....you can select glass tiles, say smaller square mosaics in the white family/silver/gray or a pinky taupe. Is it the glass that you like as opposed to regular ceramic?

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

The tiles don't look like the right style for the granite to me.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

I don't like #2 or #3, but its hard to tell because we can hardly see any counter.

• c9pilot
    10 years ago

It seems like the undertones don't match to me as well.

And I think you need a simple, neutral tile to go with a busy granite. Generally I think the pattern can be interesting (strips or mosaic or diagonals or whatever) but works better if it's one color.

This post was edited by c9pilot on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 16:32

• akl_vdb
    10 years ago

I think your pics are nice, but not quite with that counter. We have a durastone Ames tile in the Luna (which is too light for us, should have gotten the ash grey:( ), but the product is nice. Has some interest while still being fairly simple. We have the 6 x 24 mosaic

Link to post with pics and others advice

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg061445114026.html

Here is a link that might be useful: tile pic