Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimstm_gw

Thoughts on Astoria granite, please.

kimstm
9 years ago

I am thinking of using astoria granite for countertops as well as a full height backsplash. How durable a granite is this? Any staining issues? Do you think I need a darker granite? Thanks for your help?

Comments (9)

• kimstm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture of astoria.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It's hard to see the nuances and depth of color in a photo, but I would not use it for the backsplash. Your kitchen already has several long expanses of solid color and repeating shapes, and I think you need to break it up with a lighter color and some type of softer shape for the tile. Maybe a cream colored arabesque, but maybe that is too much pattern. Can you show us a pic of the granite sample with the floors?

Here's a photo of Astoria with dark cabs. It looks nice.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 13:38

• kimstm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, I don't have a picture of the astoria with the floor. I did take a close up picture of the floor. I really liked astoria from the very beginning, but because it cost more we passed on it. My flooring is very hard to match. We thought we had finally settled on sapphire blue, but I couldn't decide on a backsplash. Do you think the darker color would be better? I will attach sapphire blue pic as well. Thank you!

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I wouldn't put a dark granite on top of your dark cabinets. For me it would just be too dark. I like the idea of the Astoria granite with a different but also light backsplash.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

No, I wouldn't use Sapphire Blue. Astoria or something with even more cream in it is better. I really think you'll want to use a cream colored backsplash with the floors and the traditional style of your cabinets, and to make a better connection to the light, airy feel of the dining area.

Is your paint color BM Georgian Green? I have it in my DR, which is open to the kitchen. My cabinets are natural cherry and my countertop is a creamy quartz.

• kimstm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May_flowers---the paint color is BM Clarksville Gray.

So do you think cream ceramic subway tiles?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Yes, some type of cream ceramic tile would be a good place to start. I'm not sure of a subway shape since your 12" square floor tile makes a big statement. I'm thinking more linear pattern will be too much. Maybe you could even use cream squares on the diagonal if you aren't tired of diagonals.

But I would take the browns and tans out of your kitchen because the floor and cabinets are enough. Then you have black appliances. If your Astoria slab appears as light and creamy as the one in the pic I posted, then it's a good choice. I saw some photos on Houzz of Crema Astoria--is that the same granite? Yours appears a little muddy or gray-toned, but hard to say with just one photo. Have you brought a granite sample home?

• Barbara C
    5 years ago

Love the Astoria granite! Do you think it would pair well with some shade of white cabinets and oak flooring?