Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Do I need spacers for American Olean 3x6 subway tiles?

Posted by jlaasp6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 12:52

I have American Olean 3x6 white subway tiles I'm going to use in the kitchen for the backsplash. The tiles have a continuous rim around the base of the tile and leaves a small gap (not the little nubs on some brands) when butted together, it is just the look I want. Do I need spacers or can I just butt them up to each other? I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere as to if I can butt them up together or if I need to use a spacer....I added a picture of the tile I have..it's the tile on the far right.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Do I need spacers for American Olean 3x6 subway tiles?

I used these same exact tiles in my bath. I found the built in spaces to be inconsistent, so I did use spacers for them to be safe and am very happy I did.

o

We used the same tile for our kitchen backsplash. Please use the spacers (check to see what is recommended grout line and get spacers that size). if you want a uniform look, then choose a grout color that best blends with the tiles.

Our contractor does alot of tile work and as good as he is, he said that even the slightest variance in a linear placement can affect the straight line. He always uses them, even with 30 years experience of doing tile work.

o

Thank you so much Kali615 and chicgeek!! I guess it will be more work, but it will be worth it for it to look good...

o

Late to this, but wanted to second using the spacers. We used the same tiles and had to totally redo our bs due to slight variances (and crooked walls)! The second time around, spacers did the trick. Good luck!

o

Just to be contrary...I used very similar tiles (think they were Datile) without spacers, white grout, and the backsplash came out great. I'm suppose for the best consistency, spacers would help, but then the final result depends on your skill and prep as much as anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here