Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emily_mb

Pic of seam on white quartz countertop, please

emily_mb
13 years ago

Putting a seam on Ceasarstone Blizzard (white) at the sink will save me $1000. So, I would like to see an example to decide if it's worth the money. Please post your picture of seamed white quartz -- or other white countertop.

Comments (13)

• skyhawk6227
    13 years ago

OK, this thread brought me out of the lurker mode. My kitchen was finished last fall and I never stopped coming here to gawk at the great kitchens. Anyway, I have Zodiaq Snow White with a seam. I love my white quartz, but the seam is getting a little darker and more apparent. I think part of that has to do with the settling of the wood cabinets and perhaps the movement of our old house over time. I will try to take a picture of the seam and post it.

• emily_mb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both. If I go without a seam it means 2 slabs, which means the color has to match.

Yes, skyhawk. Do post a picture, please.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

$1000 is a lot of money (stating the obvious here). I don't have quartz--we got carrara. We have a few seams. They are noticeable. I don't mind because I kind of prefer the look of aged, messy, "patina-ed" stone. I don't think, however, that is the look you are going for with your quartz.

I would ask lots of questions of the fabricator about how the seaam/epoxy color will fare over time. Epoxy is supposed to be stainproof but I do see some discoloration (graying) where whitish epoxy was used and our install is 1 month old. Of course, it scrubs up real well, but I am a slob in the kitchen.

Also, when they instal...hover. The installer can do a messy, slight seam or a messy thick seam. They mix the epoxy color on site and they can match it really really well if you hover and insist. I had a chip on the edge of my counter and the first epoxy job they did to patch it was depressing. I asked them to dig out the epoxy and re-mix the color. The difference was night and day. Now the patch job is impossible to locate, where before it was painfully obvious.

Tell your fabricator that you are persnickety about how the seam will look and see how they react.

Good luck!

• skyhawk6227
    13 years ago

Both davidro and sabjimata are absolutely right about quartz seam fabrication. We were not home for the installation so they had to come back to redo the seam. Since last fall, the cabinets seem to have shifted slightly affecting the front part of the seam. Unfortunately, this is the area that gets the most use, so it is darker and more apparent. The contractor is coming back for another reason next week so I'm going to have him take a look.
    If you are confident in your fabricator,$1000 is a lot of money. Just make sure they get it right. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

• gwentm
    13 years ago

Here's the seam at the sink of my quartz countertop

• emily_mb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gwentm, I don't see a seam! I assume that it is in the center. If I can get anything as well done as this, I'm saving a lot of money.
    Skyhawk, was your picture taken before or after the cabinets shifted?

• gwentm
    13 years ago

The seam is to the right of center, just to the left of the insinkerator in front and in the back. If you look closely you can see it. It is a little more obvious in person but not objectionable at all. They couldn't put the seam in the center of the sink so my choices were this or a full seam in the counter. I actually like it this way because it is not center which might have made it more noticable. My quartz is whitish with a little gray tint. The installer blended it well.

Here's a closer look where you can see it better.

• emily_mb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gwentm, I don't see a seam! I assume that it is in the center. If I can get anything as well done as this, I'm saving a lot of money.
    Skyhawk, was your picture taken before or after the cabinets shifted?

• lolog72
    13 years ago

I have a question about this too. I had planned on doing white quartz and as I get quotes I had a company/salesperson (owner and installer) trying strongly to steer me away from it. They wouldn't even give me a quote on Silestone white zeus. They almost grudgingly gave me quotes on a Zodiac snow white and Cambria whitehall. They say it's because it scratches and stains (and white really shows it) and because of that people are not happy with how it wears. That people expect more durability from a quartz product than white delivers. One said they would install it but that I'd basically need to sign every disclaimer possible acknowledging that I'm aware it may look like crap with use/wear.
    Has anyone had problems? Is it just more of a pain to install and that's why they don't want to sell it? I know it's a lot more difficult to get a clean invisible seam on the edge/lip with a light color and no movement. Like if you do an 1.5" edge they're attaching two 3/4" pieces. Has anyone had a problem with that? I'm kind of nervous about the front of the counter edge seam.

• skyhawk6227
    13 years ago

The picture of the seam was taken yesterday-about a year after installation. Have had no problems with scratching or staining and we use it hard.

• azpen
    11 years ago

Hi, I know this follow-up is really late but did your installer put something on top of the seam to make it smooth? My counter seam is close together but I don't see anything between the two slaps of quartz and the cut is not completely smooth. I'd think if they put putty on top of the seam it'd look more blended together. Thanks!

• teds12
    10 years ago

I just had an Italian Quarella Quartz countertop installed in my home by StoneQuest of Central NJ. The made an agreed-to 2 seams in the project: one dead center at the undermount Elkay white composite sink installation with the faucet hole cut half in one piece and half in the other joined piece. The seam is so good that the only way to confirm it is by light touch (it is very hard to see)!

The second seam is at the counter gas burners; it is far easier to see apparently because the artisan at the factory didn't square the jointing pieces here as well as the sink joint. Even so, the burners joint measures better than the limit 1/16" "acceptable joint criterion measures in the 1/32" or so range WHICH I'M HAPPY TO LIVE WITH!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths