Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chitown_mary

Converting Framed Cabinets to Frameless

chitown_mary
9 years ago

We are in the early stages of re-modelling our 10x10 kitchen, circa 1938. Since budget is a (big) factor and the footprint isn't changing, I think we can save time and labor by simply refacing the existing base cabinets. From what I've read in this forum, it seems like converting these from framed to frameless is a smart decision. Do I have to add veneer to the exposed edges or can I simply sand them down and paint them? (we are going with full-overlay painted doors/drawers in black). thanks!

Comments (12)

• ajc71
    9 years ago

With LWO, the frame is most likely what is holding the cabinets together and square

Can you post a few pics?

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Yup. You convert by replacing with new construction. You can get a similar look with doors that don't leave the frame exposed, but you won't gain the space or use of frameless.

I didn't go this route (I did semi custom frameless) but from what I've seen about refacing, refacing can run you as much or nearly as much as new cabinets -- sometimes more. I'd get some bids and compare the cost to IKEA or similar. You'll get a lot more function our of your limited space and budget.

• Cloud Swift
    9 years ago

Frameless cabinet boxes are constructed to maintain their shape without a frame on the front. That may involve thicker sides, corner blocking and/or having a more substantial back construction. Framed cabinets aren't likely to have been built this way. The construction relies on a front frame to keep them squared up.

If your base cabinets have drawer banks, you might be able to cut away the frame pieces that go between the drawers and put in drawers that use that space to increase storage there a bit.

• chitown_mary
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I posted some pics of the kitchen on PhotoBucket. Not sure if you can tell much about the frames from them, but your feedback was very helpful. Guess we will either replace the doors and drawers on the current cabinets, or buy whole new ones. (We are replacing the uppers, so maybe we can get a good price on everything).

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Remodel

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

DIY Ikea is your friend. Replace everything. You'll gain so much more storage.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

"DIY Ikea is your friend. Replace everything. You'll gain so much more storage."

Ditto

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

playing_hookie:

I did exactly what you are proposing to do in my home in Michigan. I made custom doors and relieved the frames to accommodate the cup hinges and never bothered refacing the frames. That was over a decade ago and the doors were still functioning perfectly when we sold in '12.

• Amy Gentile
    8 years ago

Joseph- Can you please explain how exactly you did this, or at least point me in the right direction? Thanks

• cpartist
    8 years ago

If those cabinets had some redeeming reasons for keeping them, I'd say do so. My guess is they are built in and backless, so the back of the cabinet is actually the back wall. So then all you'd have is the sides of the cabinets and the bottom. I think you got good advice to use Ikea and start from scratch.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

Amy:

I'm having trouble getting context in this thread since my comment seems to be addressed to someone whose comment is no longer here.

I didn't go from framed to frameless. I built up the insides of the framed cabinets to accommodate cup style hinges and installed overlay doors.

• Amy Gentile
    8 years ago

Joseph- I think building up the inside is my plan. I'm working in a RV, so the cabinets are built in like cpartist is talking about. Thanks