Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klutterkara

Calling it Finished.....White Kitchen....Costa....Glass

klutterkara
14 years ago

Well I have been in 6 mths and it looks like the last 1% will not be happening soon.

Few Details

Custom Cabinets painted SW Dover White

Costa Smerelda Granite

Subway glass tile from Arizona Tile

Bosch Induction and pop up downdraft

JennAir Oven and Warming Drawer

48" SubZero

20" tile from Arizona Tile

Burlap walls with nail head trim

Here is a link that might be useful: KarasKottage

Comments (33)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Nice! I really like your island seating--very clever way to keep the footprint small, but I LOVE those pendants.

• Yvonne B
    14 years ago

Beautiful!! I like your island, too. I like that you're able to seat 3 people, and they're facing each other, instead of all looking the same way (as my peninsula seating is). Everything works well together, too. I've never seen burlap walls before - it's neat, especially with the nailhead trim.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Really nice. I like the island color and the blinds mixed into the white...But what I really have to compliment is your photos! They remind me of the ones we take around here when we're having fun with photography. The last 2 shown above are pretty artistic...I think you should print and frame that last one!

• klutterkara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

writersblock....thank you, the pendants came from Expo Design Center when they were going out of business....one of my frugal buys to help cover my splurges.

yandj....your comments are so kind, the island seating was actually my husbands idea. I didn't change the layout but the island was narrowed and lengthened.

rhome....you are so sweet to compliment my kitchen...I know the island is basically a barrier but the island change and built-in fridg help with isle widths. I worked really long and hard to get some decent pics so it makes my day to hear you say that.

Here is a link that might be useful: please rate me RMS

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Very, very nice! My favorite highlights are the island, pendants and induction cooktop and cabinetry. I'm also intrigued by the burlap walls and nailhead trim! That's a clever, innovative approach to wall treatment in a kitchen. Again, very nice work. Congratulations!

• lovlilynne
    14 years ago

What's the last 1%? It looks great to me!

• jan_jan
    14 years ago

Love it. It looks amazing. My favorite is that pretty granite! Enjoy your new kitchen.

• cncnh
    14 years ago

Beautiful! I especially appreciate your floor tile. Seems everyone is doing hardwood these days and there are SO many beautiful tiles out there. And those burlap walls -- very cool! Nice work!

• eastcoastmom
    14 years ago

it's really stunning. Love your backsplash, your countertops, the island, the way those burlap walls and wooden shade bring in texture - and all the wonderful details. Enjoy!

• cawfeegirl
    14 years ago

Sooooo nice! What color is the subway tile? I LOVE it!!
    Im going back and forth between using glass subway tile and travertine but after seeing yours, Im thinking the glass subway tile!

• rdas
    14 years ago

Fantastic!!! Will you please tell me more about the burlap walls with nailheads? I would love to copy ;)

• slc2053
    14 years ago

I do really like your kitchen..it's great...you've got such great taste..really...it's a kitchen you just want to stay in...I do love the backsplash especially. Congrats!

• mom2reese
    14 years ago

It looks great - so fresh and inviting!

I keep scrolling back and forth and finding different "oh cool!" elements, from the burlap treatment, to the way you wrapped the tile around part of the window frame...

• raenjapan
    14 years ago

It's really lovely. I adore the backsplash. Great job!

• gracesantacruz
    14 years ago

GORGEOUS!!
    You have such a good taste for colors--golden floor tiles and glass backsplash, and bronze knobs/handles against classy white cabintes and dark island--very beautiful!

Did you hire a disgner for this or you did all the planning? It looks professionally designed.

• ebse
    14 years ago

Great job! I love your granite!

I find the overall look verrrrry soothing, a great place for family gatherings and entertaining. Congratulations!

Can you share where you found your white pitchers? Are they new? I'm looking for something exactly like that. THanks!

• prill
    14 years ago

Really pretty. Love the granite and the backsplash. The whole kitchen looks so livable. Can you tell me where you got your glass canisters?

• klutterkara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

last 1%.....a/c vents, paint toe kicks black, and dishwasher attached to granite

subway tile...skylights in cashew

burlap....I used desk stapler and pulled very tight. Trim with bias tape and large silver thumb tacks.

designer...only myself....except when DH put his foot down :0)

pitchers....some are old but most came from places like HomeGoods

glass canisters....wally world

Here is a link that might be useful: subway tile

• prill
    14 years ago

did you put up the glass tiles yourselves? If so, how was the cutting? Curious if glass tile can be DYI.

• klutterkara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glass tile was installed professionally and they had a hard time with chipping. After it was completed I noticed the feature above the stove top was covered in chipped edges. I made them come and re-do. I had to purchase more tile and they had to get a new type of blade to make the cuts without chipping. The men were not very happy with me but I don't think it was asking to much to have smooth edges. ;0)

• debbie_123
    14 years ago

Congratulations on your lovely kitchen. I love the glass tile backsplash, your granite, and especially, your island! I like how the seating is arranged at the end for three people. I have limited space and would like to do something that looks very similar. I don't have enough room to seat three side by side. Your island is an excellent alternative! Could you please share details, especially the length and width? Thanks, and again, you should be very pleased with your beautiful space!

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

Very Pretty Kitchen. Your attention to detail in phenomenal! Such an inviting kitchen. Your granite is so pretty In fact eveything about it is beautiful. I know you will enjoy it for years to come!

• megpie77
    14 years ago

I LOVE it! I was dead set on soapstone for my kitchen and wish I had heard of the granite you used...it is beautiful and unique. I love your glass tile backsplash (I am biased about glass tiles). Every detail is wonderful and I love everything about it! Congrats.

I was wondering how you like your pop-up draft? We have a downdraft and when it is on I see the steam just rise to the top of my celing. My hubby wouldn't listen to me about the pop-up.

• sdkitchen
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! So pretty and elegant! May I ask the dimensions of your kitchen and of your island? I think I am working with a similar space. The apron (is that the correct term?) around the seating area of the island really gives it a finished look and I plan to show that to my KD! Thank you for posting.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

Oh-so-pretty. I love your island seating as well. It all looks so nice. Your glass tiles are so elegant. Congrats on such a lovely kitchen!

I like your glass canisters, too. (I have the same ones ;^) )

• gwendelen
    14 years ago

I love, love, love your kitchen! The granite is so beautiful and the color of the subway glass tile was such a good choice. I would love to know your inspiration to mix the tile and the granite.

Also, I agree with others that the seating at the island is wonderful.

• redroze
    14 years ago

Oh Klutterkara...I just love it!!! Especially your granite and backsplash. I think yours is the best glass subway tile backsplash I've ever seen. Enjoy your kitchen and don't worry about the last 1%...make sure you enjoy the 99 that's there!

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful!! You did an awesome job, know you will enjoy it for many yrs to come:)

• jb1176
    14 years ago

Klutterkara,

Your kitchen is spectacular. Was wondering if the glass tile is ''cashew'' color? and I would like to know the specifics on the floor tile from Arizona tile if you have the time - name, color,. Many thanks for posting your beautiful kitchen.

Thanks agan
    jb1176

• pb_andj01
    14 years ago

hi, I love your pendants also.. I'm thinking of putting one/two in between the cabinets on either side of my window also. the width I have between the cabinets is 39" and I think the height from the top of the ceiling to the top of the window is 10". the contractor I am using told me to get a 10" drop pendant / or light but I think I if I do go with a pendant, it can still come down even past the window ... I see that's how your's is. Do you know off hand how much space is in that space between your window? I'm wondering if 1 pendant is enough in my space. Also, did anyone recommend how much the pendants should drop down (i.e. half way of the window???) or did you basically make that call? Great pictures... and a really beautiful kitchen!

• klutterkara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

debbie---island is 30x66, it was shorter and fatter in old kitchen this size seems to work much better

megpie----I would prefer a regualar up draft but mine was already vented this way. That said the pop up is cool and I really do like it, seems to work well for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Karas Kitchen

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Very nice shades on your sink windows. Would you be willing to share the source + details?

• rdsso
    14 years ago

Love it. I love the fridge and cabinets. What an inviting kitchen.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994