Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naan_gw

four or six inch backsplash

naan
14 years ago

Maybe it's old-fashioned, but I'm planning to use a 4 or 6 in. backsplash around my kitchen. The countertop will be a laminate (Pearl Soapstone) and I love my wall color, a nice green, so I just want a minimal, but effective, backsplash.

ANyone else do a slender backsplash instead of the "up to the cabinet" look?

Four or six inches? I think we will have cherry molding/trim on top of the tile.

My really crazy idea is to use mostly tile that matches the wall with just a few intermingled Talavera tile highlights. My stove backsplash is going to be Talavera with a geometric pattern in traditional Talavera colors, green, rust, yellow, a little cobalt.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• flseadog
    14 years ago

naan, I'm planning on doing the same thing for the exact same reason. I love my wall color, a pale blue green, and I don't want to cover it up with tile. Probably I'll go up to the height of the windowsill which is about 6" although I don't know exactly what I'll use yet. Your idea of using a tile that mostly matches the wall was also my first idea but I haven't found one that I like yet. Also, I think I might finish off the top with a pencil or another type of molding to make it obvious that I intentionally stopped at that height. The only thing about the top molding idea that makes me pause is that I'm worried it may look as if the backsplash belongs in a bathroom instead of a kitchen. Right now all of this is on hold as we just moved into our new build and there are so many more urgent things to get done. If you go ahead with your project I'd love to see pictures.

• cheri127
    14 years ago

A friend of mine did a 6" slate backsplash (same as her counter material) and it looks great.

• amck2
    14 years ago

I have soapstone countertops and have a matching 3" soapstone tile backsplash. My fabricator designed a custom soapstone shelf above the tile behind the range to hold salt/pepper & some Burleighware creamers I use for breakfast every day. Aside from that, I just have painted walls.

This works for my space, as the kitchen is open to the DR & LR and I didn't want a busy backsplash that would have to coordinate with other furnishings or that I would tire of.

I've had this in a busy working kitchen for nearly 2 years. The paint has held up beautifully - no problems with splashes or stains on my creamy white walls.

While I admire lots of the intricate backsplashes I've seen here on GW, the low profile ss tiles & just painted walls seem to suit my space & needs.

• naan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good to hear from you three. Everyone likes a little validation. :-)

I found an inexpensive matched-to-my-color tile that is 4 by 4 and 1/4" thick. I hear you that I should make sure it doesn't look bathroom-like. Hmm. How to make sure?

I don't really speak "Tile" yet. Any hints on molding/trim appreciated. THings to avoid? Width? Length of pieces?

The countertop is light gray/soapstone look, cupboards are natural cherry, green walls are medium sage-y. I may post a photo after the countertop comes...

• msgreatdeals
    14 years ago

I went with a 4" granite backsplash in my desk area in case I wanted to put something on the wall...calender, pictures, etc. The other walls and garden window floor are granite.
    Whatever you like. I had a lot of tile before and didn't want any this time around.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

that's what I'm going to do also. I'll put something up behind my stove tho. otherwise it'll be painted wall.

my sister did also with her granite. got a pic if wanted.

• flseadog
    14 years ago

naan, I was thinking out loud about my own ideas about the pencil molding. I've never seen this in a kitchen but I have in lots of bathrooms so I'm thinking there must be a reason for this. As you say naan, I'm hoping that someone who thinks and speaks "tile" will chime in on the best way to achieve the look we want.