Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisadlu

Undermount Lighting CONFUSION!!! Help!

lisadlu
13 years ago

I am confused on undermount lighting. I'm thinking of using LED lighting but it seems more expensive then the flourescent. Is the light harsh with flourescent? I'm thinking of my office lighting which is awful. I also want to minimize the height of the lightrail so was thinking of Kichlers 1/2" high LED lights, for that would a 1" high lightrail cover it sufficiently? I originally wanted the round puck lights using no lightrail so they were exposed but have been told the round halogen or zenon lights get hot. I don't need added heat in the kitchen so LED seems best...but pricey! What do you have? What height is your lightrail?

Comments (3)

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Go to the lighting forum and look at the "led ucl diy" post by jem199. Davidtay and Jem give lots of good advice and there is even a video to watch.
    The electrical part of my remodel really had my head spinning as I like to have at least a basic understanding of the electric and a detailed understanding of the products.
    Sean Chu of ledpro on eBay was fantastic and very patient answering all my many questions on his led dimmable light bars and supplies. His light bars are the exact same light bars seen on the environmentallighs site only his are around 50% cheaper. It is also the same light bar you will see in the video on the lighting forum.
    You can have real nice under counter lighting without spending a whole lot. Read the whole post to get a better understanding on what you want to buy and from whom.

I accidentally replied to you on the lighting forum so sorry but you will see a version of this reply twice.

• jem199
    13 years ago

jterrilyn - you beat me to it LOL. I just want to add that I am VERY pleased with my LEDs. I spent about $400 on my system because I have a separate transformer/dimmer zone for the sink light, so I could have saved about $100 if I didn't need the 2 zones. The lights are amazing and well worth it. Nothing melts from heat, they aren't too bright, no bulb replacement for a loooong time, energy efficient and practically invisible. They were easy to install and not difficult for my electrician to wire into the electrical system. DH prolly could have done it.

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

I had a time crunch to make my under cabinet lighting decision and also at the point that I didn't want to spend any extra money. We wanted LED lights, but for our kitchen it was quoted as nearly twice the xenon lights. Granted I wasn't buying online, the Kicher lights I purchased - five 22" and one 11" - were about $400 (just the lights, not installation.) I was quoted over $700 for the same fixtures in LED. The quality of light of the Xenon is warm and soft, but it is physically warm as well :) Not melt chocolate chip warm, but soften butter warm, as the lighting guy told me (does not run as hot as a halogen.) The LED lighting comes in a "warm" and "cool" version - that is light quality not temperature. LEDs are more efficient.

The complication with the LED lights I was looking at was you had to buy the fixture, a "box" (can't recall name) and a jumper cable. My lights were not going to be linked so I needed the additional setup for each one.

If I had planned and already budgeted for LEDs I would have definitely put them in, they were my preference, but at the end of a whole house renovation I was thrilled to have the extra $$s in my pocket. Back in the house I am not unhappy with the Xenon lights. If they were LED I would probably have them on all the time, but I find myself a little more thoughtful about keeping the xenon on. Good luck.