Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lake_girl_gw

Kitchen update - before and sorta after pics

Lake_Girl
11 years ago

We went ahead with some updates to our 14 yr. old kitchen after I had a kitchen designer come to the house last year for a consult. We didn't use her, but she gave us the jumpstart we needed. The primary thing was raise the microwave, which was always too low (actually I think the cab above was not the right size). About 9:30 one evening we decide it wouldn't be a big deal to bump the cabinet and microwave up. But to make the crown mold work out, we ended up bumping mw out a little also. Doing all this exposed sides of the cabinets that weren't finished. One thing leads to another... All these months later, we've ended up adding a larger crown mold, new tile BS (the old BS had holes where the mw had been). We added new hardware, new sink, faucet, soapstone countertop, and oak BB on the island, recessed and undercabinet lights, and pendants. We hadn't planned on appliances, as ours worked fine. But an awesome deal on craigslist showed up, so we sold our white appliances on CL as well. One change the kitchen designer suggested (which was brilliant), was straighten the island when we changed out the countertop. My DH did this, and added the trim and feet to update it. Oh and before all this work, we had the floors refinished. The kitchen isn't huge, but I've got a large hutch that holds small appliances, and a large pantry in adjoining laundry room. Now, I'm trying to decide whether to add corbels or legs to the island, and whether to paint the walls. I'm loving all the grays, but the family likes the green, and I'm not sure how it would match up with the family room, which is a creamy tan.

Before:

after:

Comments (32)

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! Doesn't one thing ALWAYS lead to another? I love the legs on your cabinets! Everything is really beautiful!

• gmp3
    11 years ago

Love it!

Great job!

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely. I really like your green paint in back. A perfect improvement. Seems like your before pic lacked warmth and now your kitchen is so warm and inviting. Fantastic job and great vision! Congrats!

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your kind words. That green paint has been in my kitchen since 1997 (we did repaint once), can you believe it?? Two questions - if I put corbels on the island, how do you handle the short end overhang?? Also, should I paint the red barstools another color? I bought them from someone, so I didn't actually choose that color. The chairs at the kitchen table are black?

Thanks again!

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I don't think corbels are necessary. Your old island had plain panels on the back and so the corbels added some interest. You have already added some interest with the molding on the panels of the new island and the feet and baseboards have a nice bit of detail as well. I would leave it but I'm not a frou-frou type of person.

By the way - great transformation - the kitchen looks great. I always love stories that go along the lines of "While we're doing this, why don't we do this" and "oh,oh, now we have to fix that".

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good point, I see what you mean blfenton. Sometimes it's best to leave it alone.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Beautiful! While it seems like the changes were "small" (keeping the structure of the kitchen) the resulting improvements are amazing. Your new kitchen looks brand new and fantastic. I really like what you've done with the cabinets and especially the island. The details like the counter tops, cabinet feet, crown moulding, etc really make your kitchen looks beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

it looks like a brand new kitchen! and so warm and inviting. great job!

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

love this! Really amazing what a difference a few changes can make. Please share how you did the legs and dressed up the island. thank you!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Great job! I don't think you need to do anything more to the island. It's fine the way it is.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Great job! I like the island just the way it is. Raising the microwave really does a lot for the look of the kitchen too.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

One thing leads to another... All these months later, we've ended up....

I'm still laughing! I'm taking a lunch break in a day when we're still working on where that "one thing" led.

Red stools: you could change the color, but you don't really need to. The green on the walls and the red of the stools play well together. If fact, I think they bring to room together.

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

scrappy - I wish my dh was here to tell you how he did the island and feet, but he's still at work. I'm thinking he used 1"x4"'s (which actually measure .75" x 3.5") for the trim around the island. He then finished the island and cabinets with a 1"x4" at the bottom with a piece of basecap on top. He cut the "feet" out of a 1"x4" and used blocks to attach it to the old toekick area. It left a little gap, which is covered up with that piece of basecap. Here's a couple of pics, one shows the block (which looks dusty-yuck), oh and this is down by the dishwasher. I hope this makes sense:) Bless his heart - I just think of ideas and expect him to figure it out;)

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We mighta (I'm from the south) mixed a couple of styles together, such as the raised panel doors, and the recessed look on the back of the island, but when you DIY, you get whatcha get! (I mean you git whatcha git!)

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Lake_Girl, awesome kitchen! Love your colors and cabinet hardware. Your island really transforms the look of the entire space. I have a DW in a corner like you do and would love to get a new one with a handle but am afraid it will impede the drawer to the right. What kind of measurements do you have there?

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Linelle. It's pretty tight in that area. The DW is just under 4" from the corner. Needless to say, you can't open the opposite cabinet in the corner. I can open that drawer though, which is good, cause that's where utensils are. It's a pain, but I'm used to it. (Ahhh....to be designing a new kitchen, using all the knowledge I have from GW:)

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

Great job Lake Girl! It looks "just right" to me! Well done!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Looks great! Even though you didn't change everything, it still looks like a whole new room! Those details make a huge difference. I like how the dark soapstone and new SS appliances contrast with the white and make the white areas more interesting. Great job!

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Lakegirl -- very nice! I
    love the green walls with your white cabinets and walnut island top.

I see in the photo a tiny bit of what must be a dining or breakfast area. Do you have a photo of that area? It looks like you have a pretty bay window and I'd love to see it.

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

francoise - This is the only pic I have of that area in photobucket. It's when we purchased the butcher block and had it just sitting on the island, trying to see if we liked it before we cut it to fit. You can get an idea of the bay area.

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Love the feet, the colors, the whole thing! Awesome job - you could fool anyone that it's an all-new kitchen!

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

What a great transformation! I agree with others, no need to add any other embellishments, it's perfect the way it is. I also like your paint color, gives the white cabinets a great pop! Nice job on the island too! Your DH deserves kudos! Lots more usable space! Enjoy!!!

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

It really does look new. I love the green! But I've yearned for a green kitchen for a long time, so am biased. You and your DH make a good team -- the island looks terrific! And I'll also put in a vote for leaving off legs and corbels. Great job!!

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok, keep the green, leave off legs and corbels (my dh will be thrilled). I meant to add that dh added a piece of trim under the upper cabs to help hide the ucl. It also helped the cabs look a little more substantial. Thanks for your sweet comments! It definitely makes me feel good:)

• kellyp123
    11 years ago

Love your kitchen and the green paint! How do you like your frigidaire range? I am considering the same one.

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmm... We bought the fridge, DW and micro on craigslist. The stove we bought new at Appliancesmart. It was a great deal because it had a couple of scratches on the side. We sorta rushed into it because it matched what we had just bought. My only real complaint is how long it takes to preheat. It takes forever! I will say that these newer appliances, (mainly fridge and stove) don't seem as well built as my old Whirlpool appliances, even though the fridge is supposed to be "professional". But at like $550 (stove), the price was right! I hope this helps.

• shelayne
    11 years ago

I love all the "little" changes that made such a huge difference in your kitchen! It looks brand new and so fresh and pretty!

You must be absolutely thrilled!

• babs711
    11 years ago

It looks great! I love the green! I'm not usually a green fan but really love it in your space. It really works to make your kitchen warm and happy. I love what you've done. It came out wonderfully!

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

Lake_Girl:

Beautiful job!!! What an amazing uplift! I love everything you did. I agree w/suzannes that the barstools look great in red.

What is the color of your soap stone? do you like it?

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh babs - I want your beautiful kitchen!!

go figure - we used barroca soapstone from Dorado soapstone. It's really pretty, but very soft. I wish I had a harder variety. I'm thinking of taking it back to it's natural state with acetone, which is a medium gray. This is how it arrived, and I'm thinking it'll hide scratches and dings a little better. (But the dark is so pretty.)

• sis2two
    11 years ago

Lake Girl-your kitchen is beautiful! Can I ask where you purchased your knobs and drawer pulls? Thanks so much.

• Lake_Girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, sis! I think the bin pulls were from Top Knobs, Dakota collection, and the knobs were off ebay.