Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnhillbillytoo

Soapstone is IN - midway kitchen reveal (tons of pix!)

tnhillbillytoo
12 years ago

I have been stalking this forum for a couple of years planning our kitchen renovation. Our soapstone is finally in so I thought I'd do a mid-way reveal of the work we've done so far. We built the house in 1998 and the kitchen was what we could afford at the time. It really needed to be reworked to make it more functional. Dh and I are MAJOR DIY'ers. The only thing we've hired out is the counters so it has been LONG and SLOW (we started Dec 26 last year) but we are getting there ;) I still need to paint most of the doors/drawer fronts, but you'll get the idea of where we're going I hope...

We added a 2nd story to the house to accommodate all the kids (4!) and the extra weight cracked the ceiling in the open doorways (2) between the kitchen and living room. We narrowed the doors a bit and added transom windows above.

Before (actually, kind of during. I had already narrowed the door and was working on the drywall :)

After...

This is ::almost:: a before of the kitchen. We had already put the new paint on some of the walls, done the ceiling, added can lights, and painted the cabinets beside the sink window. Notice the dorky white formica with the oak edge. Oy, what was I thinking!?!?!?

We added new crown and trim along the bottom of all the cabinets...

The original refrigerator and cabinets (although we had moved the cabinets UP-- see the red paint line? That was originally where they hung)...

We cut eleventy-billion holes in the ceiling and added a bunch of can lights. The original kitchen only had one light in the center of the room @@. It's nice being married to an electrician ;)

Putting in the bead board ceiling to cover the eleventy-billion holes...

Ripping up the hardwood floors. I would never, never, NEVER suggest putting hardwood in your kitchen. My dishwasher and ice maker leaked and ruined my floors not once, but TWICE. Never again!!! (FYI - my boys LOVE demo LOL!)

This is the view through the pantry door. We gutted it down to the studded walls and cut holes in the ceiling to move/add lights. My whole kitchen used to be that red color.

The other half of the pantry "L"

Now for the afters :) No criticizing my housekeeping skills LOL! Everything is still junked up from things being out of place, but you get the idea. I used a fisheye lens to shoot most of this so everything would be in one picture but the fisheye lens makes the cabinets and walls look curved on the edges of the pictures. I can assure you, everything is actually straight :)

View through the pantry door. We covered the ceiling with pressed tin...

The other half of the pantry "L"

Slightly different angle so you can see the plate rack we built into the wall :)

New refrigerator and re-worked cabinets :) (there's still hardwood under the refrigerator. We will pull it up when we move it to lay the tile. That sucker is HEAVY!)

Cooktop area (ignore the junked up dining room)...

Looking toward the pantry (the pantry door is nearly in the center of the picture)

Standing in the pantry door looking into the kitchen (see the unpainted doors? LOL!) We have a new oven ordered that is stainless to match the other appliances, but it is not here yet. We're putting cabinet doors over the microwave because we hardly ever use it.

The sink side...

I LOVE that big ol' vein that runs the length of my sink cabinet!!!

Our soapstone was procured from Dorado Soapstone in Atlanta and installed by Premier Surfaces out of Huntsville, AL (yes, we live in TN). If you call Premier, tell Merry that Michelle sent you ;) Merry went above and beyond the call of duty to find the perfect stone for us. She worked with Chris (the owner I think? of Atl. Dorado) and after I talked at length to him on the phone, he hand picked my slabs because I abhor the color green and needed a hard variety of soapstone (the harder the soapstone, the more green it typically is). Since he found my slabs somewhere in NC (!!) I trusted his judgement and told him to purchase them sight unseen. My stone is very, VERY hard, but has very little green. Exactly what I wanted! I actually stabbed the surface of a piece of scrap with a screwdriver l and barely made little pockmarks. Perfect for a house with 4 kids :) The install looks great. I have no water rings or any of the problems some other GW'ers have reported. I'm officially in LOVE!

Comments (40)

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks beautiful! Its hard to believe that its the same kitchen. Great job so far. You're getting pretty close to the finish line. Love the pantry and the soapstone, among other things.

Which faucet did you use for the kitchen sink?

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Congrats! You must be so excited. It all looks beautiful. I sure do love your pantry and that view from the dining room (?) but that SS is gorgeous. We has ours installed Sat. I agree with you - I love those big prominent veins can't stop looking at it or touching it. Is your faucet a Vinnata? I think we have the same look going on :) Enjoy!!

• tnhillbillytoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. :) I can't stop touching my stone either LOL!

Here's a link to the kitchen faucet (we didn't use the soap dispenser because I didn't want another hole in my beautiful stone ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Faucet

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Beautiful work. I am in perpetual awe and envy of DIY'ers.

(eleventy-billion holes - sounds like me hanging pictures)

• sandy808
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, and beautiful soapstone! I have been wanting soapstone counters for a long time, and am going to actively look ionto them for our new house. Granite installers like to tell me what a bad material soapstone is for a kitchen. Ha! I just can't get excited about granite.

I have a question about your pantry. We are in the process of framing mine, which is a hop and a skip across from the kitchen area. I see that you can a great deal....I do the same. Did you put a door on yours to close, or did you just frame in a pretty doorway and are going to keep it open without a door?

We are having an open floor plan in our home, so there will be some sightlines when sitting on the couch into my pantry area. Our framer tells me it is "odd" to not have doors on a laundry room or a pantry. I'm not so sure about that. It is all part of my general kitchen area, and not a formal home at all (log style). The truth is, I most likely would hardly ever shut the doors....maybe at a Christmas gathering?

My children are grown, so my house stays neater now. It's not like a laundry and pantry can't be pretty.

Sandy

• tnhillbillytoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you blfenton :)

Sandy808, we've been living in this house for 12 years, so I know how I use it. The pantry used to be a pantry/laundry combo until we added the 2nd story. It was supposed to house a stack washer/dryer but our measurements were one inch off on the stair width and the dryer wouldn't fit on top of the washer so we made it 100% pantry. It's a good thing we decided to put a laundry upstairs! (we are putting another in the downstairs master bath closet after the kitchen is done) In all the time we've lived here, I have NEVER closed the door unless someone was coming over and I didn't want them to see "Mt. Washmore". The door was really just a nuisance. Now that it's just a pantry, I want to show off all my pretty canning! In my opinion, home canned food is very visually appealing :) I had lots of people freak out when I told them I wasn't putting a door back up, but I don't really care. I have enough room on the part of the "L" that is out of the line of sight to hide all the ugly stuff (TP, store bought cans, etc.) The few people that have seen it at this stage have agreed with my "no door" plan. Even my Mama, and she was staunchly opposed to me not having a door :)

• dbmet
    12 years ago

What color paint is that on your walls aka above the desk with the chair.. Everything else looks great!!

• tnhillbillytoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks dbmet! The paint is Porter, Smoky Chestnut :)

• Adrienne Gray
    12 years ago

Wow what a journey! I can't believe that pantry!

The counters are indeed exactly what you were looking for and quite beautiful as well. Good luck with everything from here to there!

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

I am so impressed at what you and your family have been able to do! My husband and I are not in the least handy, so we are in awe of intrepid DIY'ers. The stone is beautiful, you'll enjoy your elegant kitchen, and your sons will never forget the feeling of accomplishment.
    Lynn

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness--THAT PANTRY!

I. Want. That.

(the rest is pretty great, too)

• NatalieChantal
    12 years ago

I am SO in love with your pantry! It is gorgeous and I just wish I could find a way to have such a space. Also your soapstone is EXACTLY what I am looking for, so definitely going to call Premier myself! Thank you for the recommendation and the pictures of your kitchen. It is simply stunning! Congratulations!

• oldhousegal
    12 years ago

I am drooling over that lovely pantry! What a great job you did. As a DIY'er it gives me such hope :)
    What type of stone did you get? I've been having a tough time finding a hard stone that looks like that!
    TIA

• shelayne
    12 years ago

I accidentally hit submit instead of preview. My comment in parentheses was supposed to be

small

I didn't mean to scare the pants off anyone. ;^)

• tnhillbillytoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks alabamamommy :)

farmgirlinky, our DIY ability stems from a determination to want things that are more expensive than we can afford. It's either figure out how to do it ourselves, or do without LOL!

shelayne, you didn't scare me. I thought it was pretty funny. My pantry is almost embarrassingly large at this point, but I love it. My home canned supply is VERY low. I could easily fill it when canning is in full swing again. I can't wait!

NatalieChantal, the only thing I would make you aware of with our install is seams. They really look good, but they are done more like granite seams and not sanded in. Very tight, the veining matches wonderfully, but if you run your hand across them you can feel them because they were not sanded in. Just so ya' know ;) I'll try to get a close up for you tomorrow.

oldhousegal, Thank you so much. I ::think:: it's green mountain original, but I've emailed to ask for sure. I'll let you know when I get an answer.

• ww340
    12 years ago

Beautiful, just beautiful.

• tnhillbillytoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, NatalieChantal. This post is for you ;)

I have 3 seams in my kitchen/pantry. They all look about the same so I'm going to show you one :)

Here is a close-up of the one in the sink cabinet. It's nice and tight and the veins match up GREAT, but it's not invisible like some people's are. I'm sure it could be sanded in, but I'm scared to touch the counters because they look/function so good! They did tint the epoxy black. I think the camera flash is reflecting off the epoxy making it look lighter than it really is.

And here is the same seam from a little distance. If you know that it's there, you can see it, but it's really not bad at all.

Do I wish they had sanded them in? Maybe??? They are really done every bit as well, if not better than my Mama's quartz seam so it's not a deal breaker for me at all. I will say, my Mama's seam is completely invisible BUT her quartz is busy and I think that makes a difference. My stone is fairly quiet and it makes sense to me that it would be harder to hide the seams completely. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

• steph2000
    12 years ago

Where to start? Love, love, love the beadboard ceiling. And the pantry is a dream come true - who wouldn't live for that? I'm crazy for how the sink bumps out, I'm seriously entertaining that for my kitchen. It just adds so much. Love your lights, where did you get them (the pendants/chandelier)?

And to the purpose of your post, that sandstone is just beautiful. I, too, love the veining.

• NatalieChantal
    12 years ago

Tnhillbillytoo, THANK YOU so much for posting that pic! Indeed the seam is well matched. I think I would ask to have it sanded, but even if it turned out like yours did it wouldn't bother me a bit, your counters look so beautiful! What soapstone is it? I want to email Premier and say I want to be a shameless copycat! Yu have such a lovely kitchen and DIY must make you so proud... I wish I could do something half as nice as your beautiful renovation! Thank you again for thinking of me!

• kmmh
    12 years ago

It's beautiful--and how great that the kids will remember "helping" with the new kitchen!

• scootermom
    12 years ago

I adore your soapstone and am in envy of your pantry!! It would be silly to have a door on it since the inside is so pretty -- it's a feature, not something to hide. Great choices.

I'll have to show my 11-yr-old daughter. She'd love the little Harry Potter cupboard-under-the-stairs door in your pantry!!

• tnhillbillytoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Steph2000, than you so much! My original kitchen did not have a bumped out sink and I waffled back and forth if I should make that change or not. I'm so glad I did because I absolutely LOVE it! Mainly because there are extra inches behind the sink and it's easier to clean back there :) The lights were a huge splurge for us. I fell in love with them the first time I saw them and I just couldn't find anything else I liked. My husband nearly died when he saw the price tag (and so did I!) I don't regret it though. Everyone seems to love them. I'll link you to where I got them below.

NatalieChantal, you're welcome! I don't know what the name of the stone is, but I can guarantee that if you call/email Merry she will fix you right up :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lights

• tnhillbillytoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kmmh and scootermom thank you so much.

For those who asked, I just got word that my stone is indeed green mountain original.

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

As a DIY'er, who is restoring an old house (currently on the kitchen) I can appreciate how much work it is.. but thanks for the amazing photo's as it gives ME hope! Your kitchen is beautiful, everything about it! The beadboard, pantry, countertops.... just so nice! I love the lights, are they from Troy Lighting?

• steph2000
    12 years ago

Thanks so much, tnhillbillytoo! The light is on sale, even, which totally justifies purchase. If only I was ready to pull the switch on lighting. (I have miles and miles to go before I sleep (or pull out the Visa). lol Saving these to my wishlist files, though, for sure.

Your cabinets are just so neat. Along with the sink bumpout, I love the feet. Where did you get them? Are they custom? It looks like you re-used at least some of your cabinets, so perhaps you managed to add feet to them? You are just doing a fabulous job.

• sandy808
    12 years ago

I'm thinking doors are a nuisance as well, but "everyone" keeps telling me I "need" doors!Since I would opt for pocket doors because I would most likely never shut them, it messes up what else I want to do on the outer wall facing the kitchen. I'd like to recess a built in hutch, and which blows any possibility of pocketing doors there. I"m leaning towards not having any doors.

When we had big gatherings in our last house I never closed the laundry room door, and it was right off the main drag in our house near the kitchen. I had pretty cabinets in there and made sure the laundry was in hampers. Not one person ever said to me "shouldn't you close your door?". They could have cared less and I don't think they ever noticed. People come for the food and the nice visit.

Thanks for giving me courage to say "no" to doors.

Sandy

• tnhillbillytoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tinker, thank you! Yes, the lantern looking lights are Troy.

Steph2000, we did reuse a lot of our cabinets. The sink cabinet, however, we rebuilt 100% because the original cabinet had structural issues. The "feet" on our cabinets are actually made of baseboard. I drew out the curved shape and dh built a template with it. He cut out the toe kick area with the router using the template so they would be exactly the same. it was actually pretty easy. :)

Sandy,this is how I look at it. I can always go back and add a door, but once I put one up it will look stupid if I take it down. Live with it a while and I bet you'll know pretty quick if you need to add a door or not :)

• AilsaM
    12 years ago

tnhillbillytoo - have you put your floor tile in yet? The reason I ask is becasue we are planning on similar 'feet' on our Oak cabinets and we will be putting the flooring in ourselves. Will you carve the tiles around the cabinet feet or what? I think we will be putting the floor down before the cabinets go in so we may not have an issue. Just wondering. Everything looks great. Keep up the good work.
    Ailsa

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

What kind of backsplash will you do (or will you)? Also, are you enjoying your recessed lights? I thought that's what I wanted, since I have lived with a not so great florescent light in the center of the kitchen area since 1997. It seems like some on GW don't like the recessed lights. I'm not sure why. We too have talked to Dorado in Atl. about getting soapstone, but he never gets back with us. Maybe we need to be a little more assertive (and not wait on him to call us?).

I'm loving all the things yall have done!

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

Looking GREAT! You make me want soapstone :) I am back and forth on lighter granite vs soapstone, and my cupboards are warm white like yours. Yours looks beautiful! Enjoy!

• pupwhipped
    12 years ago

I loved everything about this post. I loved all the pictures...the process....the whole family working together. What an outstanding job! You should all be so proud.

I can't decide which part of your kitchen I like the best. I love the beadboard ceiling and, of course, that soapstone. But that pantry is to die for. Who wouldn't love that!!! I hate to bombard you with yet another question, but can you tell me where you got your tin ceiling? I would like to do beadboard in my kitchen/sunroom area, but I KNOW my hubby will have none of that. At this point in time, it would be too much work. I mentioned tin ceiling to him and he liked that idea. I'm assuming (hoping) it would not be as involved.

Thank you for sharing your photos. I would love to see more as the process goes on. I know you are going to enjoy many happy times in your lovely new space.

pup

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

I love seeing beautiful DIY kitchens like yours! I especially like your creativity in the pantry for your canning display and wet bar/coffee station.

Would you mind saying what kind of bead board that you put in to cover the "eleventy billon holes" lol?

thanks!

• ejbrymom
    12 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!! That is one impressive DIY job! I cannot wait to see the finished product. Great use of wood to really update and make the kitchen look brand new and custom(beadboard, molding, trim etc). Your pantry is AMAZING!!! What an amazing space to use for prep and storage! I see you can - oodles! Do you have a garden? Would love to see pics of that too!
    Overall - very impressed and looking forward to more pics. Great great job!

• SK97232
    12 years ago

Wow--that pantry!! I want one of those.

• kevinw1
    12 years ago

Love the kitchen, and even more the pantry! Hope your current canning season is going well - we just bought a dehydrator and are going gung-ho on that as well.

One thing did make me shudder though, and that was the kids doing demo in bare feet etc. I've dinged myself up so many times doing demo that I now go the whole hog with boots, gloves, kneepads sometimes, and especially eye protection (I've had 2 eye injuries in other contexts and have no desire for more). It may not look macho, but it sure is nice when the dropped vent hood bounces off the steel-toed boot instead of crushing several toes.

• celineike
    12 years ago

wicked pantry!!!!!
    I love it!!!
    and of course the rest of the kitchen looks really fabulous too! Enjoy!

• clg7067
    12 years ago

Looks great! Can't wait for the final photos.

• tnhillbillytoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yikes! I've been busy and haven't checked in and missed all these questions. Sorry!

AilsaM - we left our "feet" off the floor a bit so we wouldn't have to cut around them. They are completely fake and do not support the cabinets at all so structurally it wasn't an issue to do that. Actually, our tile JUST came in today. YIPEE!

Lake Girl - we have a sample of a hand made 3x8 subway tile ordered. I ::think:: that will be the one, but I'm not 100% sure until I see it in person. The sample is supposed to be here on Friday. I LOVE my recessed lights. My dh jokes that it looks like a spaceship has landed when they are all on, but it is such a bright and wonderful space to work in now. I don't regret them AT ALL. If you're having issues with Dorado, call Premier Surfaces. They have an Atlanta location. I can't recommend them enough. They have been WONDERFUL!

Pupwhipped - the tin ceiling came from Lowe's. I love it in the small space of the pantry, but I'm afraid it might be gaudy in a larger space. Proceed with caution :) We had to use some special glue (came in a caulk tube) and small finishing nails to put the tin up. Somewhat of a pain, but not too bad. HTH!

mtnfever - The breadboard on the ceiling is actually meant to go on the wall. It is quite thin (we didn't want to lower the ceiling since they are only 8' to begin with). We used an adhesive on the back, and used a crown stapler to secure them to the studs. Can I tell you how long it took to fill and sand all the staple holes? @@

kevinwl - no worries on the bare feet. I can assure you, no one was hurt in the demo of the kitchen floor. They are in much more danger of being hurt when going to feed the cows. Having a 1200 pound cow step on a bare foot is a very unpleasant experience (speaking from experience!). I guess farmers just have tough toes :)

MIssyV, ejbrymom, SK97232, celineike, clg7067 - thank you for the compliments :)

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

i'm LOVING this! oooooh, the pantry! can't wait to see the finish!

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

yes, please post your finished pictures! we want to see!!!!