Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiebkit

frameless cabinets

maggiebkit
11 years ago

Tried posting on an old thread that had lovely pictures of frameless cabinets, but I guess it is too old to bounce back into the top of the queue.

What brand of frameless cabinets did you use?

(Please include a pic if it's easy for you to do ;)

Comments (28)

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

IKEA with custom fronts from Scherrs.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Scherr's.

Before drawer fronts and hardware:

• petra66_gw
    11 years ago

Ikea with Ikea doors (Stat).

• itsallaboutthefood
    11 years ago

Dura Supreme.

From Kitchen

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Good question! I've had a hard time finding frameless. I may go with Executive, though I'd like to see some other options just so I can compare.

• maggiebkit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The kitchens are great! Thanks so much everyone!!
    I have a question about the Ikea cabinets? Is the construction better than on their furniture? We have quite a few pieces-dresser, bookcases, and desks and they just don't hold up long term. It's made my husband pretty wary of using Ikea.
    Also, I guess Scherr's makes cabinets as well?
    Never heard of Executive, thanks for the lead!
    Thanks again!

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Yes I hear it is different material then the quality of the furniture. Ours are holding up without issue and I'm not easy on a kitchen.

Scherrs can make the doors/drawers for IKEA bases or you can purchase the boxes through them too...assembled or unassembled. Their selections and capacity to customize are limitless. At least in my experience.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Mine are Brookhaven with some Woodmode mixed in. They were the only frameless we could find other than IKEA. DH wasn't ready to try IKEA and I liked the wood drawers better than the metal ones. Big difference in price, but they are nicely made anad we have no regrets.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

InnerMost

• maggiebkit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks remodelfla for the Ikea info.
    Lascatx, glad you like your brookhaven.
    Suzannes1-how was it working with home depot-the cabs look great!

• rmtdoug
    11 years ago

The issue of stand-alone Ikea furniture compared to their cabinets is not a fair comparison. Cabinets are screwed together and to the walls. That adds a lot of strength to the whole. I have yet to find evidence of Ikea cabinets breaking down under normal use, and they use surprisingly good drawer slides and hinges.

• maggiebkit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks rmtdoug!

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Any other brand suggestions?

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

We had a good experience with HD, although I will say that our salesman has years and years of experience with doing this. We did not have HD install them-we did it ourselves. We even had a problem with a drawer front and they took care of it pronto, which was so nice.

• runninginplace
    11 years ago

I also have Executive frameless cabinets--really nice, solid wood construction, beautiful finish (mine is white painted Maple). One nice aspect of Executive is that they are a 'green' operation. No off-gassing, no weird chemical odors etc when installed.

Not great pictures of my little galley kitchen, but here is the stove/fridge wall:

And here is the sink side:

Very happy with them.

Ann

• patrushka_ma
    11 years ago

Hi Running In Place,
    How long have you had your Executive cabinets? The company went under and was bought out, so purchasing Executive now may not be the same company that you got. Your cabinets are beautiful. Is that an 18" paneled dishwasher there? I want the 18" Bosch, but the door panel configuration is different from yours. Thank you.

• maggiebkit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Meeting with HD about innermost on Thursday.
    Met with a dura supreme rep Saturday.
    The Executive cabs look great runninginplace!!

• mrsjoe
    11 years ago

Make sure to look at custom shops in your area. I found that almost all the true custom shops (not semi-custom posing as custom) in my area built frameless style cabinets. And the pricing was also pretty comparable or better to regular or semi-custom I looked into. I suppose this all depends on the market though. Also, if you are into DIY, I recommend Barker Cabinets. Didn't go with them, but was really satisfied with the ease of use of their website, instruction videos, customization ability, customer service, the sample cabinet and sample doors. Only reason we didn't go with them is because DH decided he didn't want DIY.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barker Cabinets

• williamsem
    11 years ago

We are going to be using Bellmont 1900 series (ok, we are 99.9% sure). The display and construction look very nice, and the rep actually recommended against upgrading to plywood because their furniture board is so good. They rep several frameless lines, but they said this one meets most people's needs at a decent price, but the 1600 series is almost as nice (fewer options, slightly different construction). This is also the line both owners picked for their own kitchens, so that's a pretty good endorsement!

I had a really hard time finding frameless lines in my area, so please post back with your experience if you have a chance!

• lindy1096
    11 years ago

We are also going with Bellmont cabinets (1600 line). Our original plan was to go with Ikea but for a little bit more money we decided to go with Bellmont.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

@lindy, when is your project scheduled? We will be a May project. We can share notes!

• lindy1096
    11 years ago

@williamsem - cabinets are ordered and appliances purchased and we are still looking for a contractor! We're first time remodelers and are completely backwards on this project. I am hoping to get started in another month or so.

• angela12345
    11 years ago

Another one that can be considered is the cabinets we got ... UltraCraft.
    They are Frameless cabinets that allow size modifications in 1/16" increments to height, width, and depth (or all 3) at no additional cost. Also, standard is full extension soft close drawers, soft close doors, no charge for finished sides, dovetail drawers with fully captured bottoms, and bunches of other stuff is standard. 100 year warranty.
    http://www.ultracraft.com/

We have been Very happy with them so far (14 months). This is in a vacation rental house that sleeps 26 people and has had 37 families stay there so far (most of them for 1 week) plus us and our friends & family when it is not rented.

• selphydeg
    11 years ago

I was all ready to order the Bellmont 1600, and then the KD came to do a final measurement and find out that I needed 33" cabinets, which the 1600 line doesn't carry. Going with Bellmont 1900 is $4000 more expensive, so I had to go with Durasupreme Crestwood, $2000 more expensive than the Bellmont 1600. I wish I could have gotten the frameless cabinets since my kitchen is small. The drawers look really tight on the frameless.

• lindy1096
    11 years ago

Are you sure about the 33" cabinets? We had to change from a 36" base to a 33" and our KD didn't say there was a problem.

• Cloud Swift
    11 years ago

DeWils - we are very happy with them. (This picture was taken just after the new floor was put in and the cherry toe kicks hadn't been put back.)

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    11 years ago

bump

• luckymom
    11 years ago

Not to be a downer, but remember whenever a cabinet company owner or any other tradesman says they used "x" in their homes, they can always get NEW whenever they want. At cost. Installed free. Learned this from experience. Went with the cabinets the owner had in his house. Lasted less than 6-7 years before I started seeing issues. He could afford another remodel, I couldn't at that point.