Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxydakota

Help! Advise on countertops...

roxydakota
11 years ago

The floors will be finished tomorrow, then the cabinets go in (the door at the end of the pic is the wood finish on the cabs- the dog is moveable- sometimes) We need to choose countertop material ASAP because the some of the cabs will rest on the counter. In the first picture, the 11' island will be on the left, the perimeter cabs and counter on the right and far walls. Under the hood will be a ruby red Bluestar with brass trim. We want some butcher block on the island - probably to one side of the Rohl 36" biscuit clay sink...any suggestions?

Here is a close up of the (ungrouted) floor. It will be subtler when grouted with the traditional grey cement grout...

Comments (31)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I have absolutely no advice for you whatsoever, but I can tell you I cannot WAIT to see your finished project.
    Your materials -- and dog -- are beautiful!

• asbamba
    11 years ago

I would seriously consider a rich wood. You may want to consider getting some samples in the room. Also go to google and select images and put in "wood kitchen countertops". You will be surprised what comes up.

JMO.......

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful room! Colonial Gold granite would look pretty as well as one of the African granites such as African Ivory et al.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

A creamy antique French limestone would be perfect, provided you've done your limestone research and are comfortable with it. Have you wandered into Francois and Co. or Exquisite Surfaces? I believe both have both antique wood and stone on display. You're space is magical!

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

A creamy antique French limestone would be perfect, provided you've done your limestone research and are comfortable with it. Have you wandered into Francois and Co. or Exquisite Surfaces? I believe both have both antique wood and stone on display. You're space is magical!

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Thought I'd learned my lesson about not posting from the iPad . . .

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Your space is UNBELIEVABLE!! A real treat for the eyes. Gorgeous. Gorgeous. Gorgeous.

How about zinc countertops???

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

So I found some zinc inspiration pix for you, whadya think?

Love the nailheads in this one:

The edge is pretty awesome on this one:

I was also thinking concrete would be super cool, like this:

or this (awesome waterfall edge):

This concrete color is pretty cool too, would look awesome with your house:

Hope that helps!!!!!!!!!!!!

• nini804
    11 years ago

What a totally cool kitchen! Tend to agree with many on here...like something a little different than granite. That limestone sounds lovely!
    Ps, your dog is fab!! Love him!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Stained concrete might be nice as you'd be able to pull some of your floor colors or wall or whatever with the pigment. I see something nice and hunky (not a fireman :P )but kinda thick and irregular edged. I guess the wall plastering leads me that way....

Gorgeous. Gotta post pics of this one, okay?

L.O.V.E. the floor!!

• andreak100
    11 years ago

Love your puppy. Love the room. The zinc idea is interesting. I think it would patina nicely. If you are okay with the etching, etc., I think honed marble could be lovely...I actually see this kitchen becoming better after it's been in and loved a few years - having the opportunity to develop pantina and other lovleyness. The perfection in this kitchen will be the "imperfections" that appear over time. I think French limestone is another that would work. I'm not really feeling concrete with the room though.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

You could double down on the copper.

• washworker
    11 years ago

I love those floors.. I initially thought that Zink counter tops would be something that would look great with the floors and cabinets because it would give a little bit of contrast to the warms colors in the kitchen without seeming out of place.. but I have a hard time imagining it with the red stove with brass accents... I did like the stained concrete too.

My dog is about as much help as yours is with laying floors. our pup likes to lay right where the next row of flooring is supposed to go.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I have no counter advice, I just wanted to tell you how drop dead gorgeous your house is. If that is a cabinet door, your kitchen is going to be spectacular. Can't wait to see it.

• roxydakota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful (and amusing) ideas- my laptop died at 2pm today so I can't properly respond on my phone- but I'll have a new laptop in the morning and can properly thank you all!

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I am seeing copper for sure in that spectacular space!!!! Love that FLOOR!

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

I do believe that copper countertops would be too much of a good thing. Your cabinets will be a similar copper tone. A contrasting countertop seems to be in order. IMHO.

• AndiGrace
    11 years ago

I concur with the limestone thought..
    Would you care to share the vendor for your flooring?
    It is just perfect.

• roxydakota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We ordered the saltillo from Mission West tile after a disastrous experience with Emser Antique tumbled travertine. When we received it, half of the tiles were a completely different color and finish, and even had file marks around the edges in an attempt to make the stone "look" antique. We repackaged the entire order, drove 2 cars over an hour back to the warehouse, and headed straight to Mission West where they got us our entire order from Mexico in 2 days! And it's half the price of the Emser...

• sprtphntc7a
    11 years ago

not feeling the zinc or copper counters.
    your kitchen to me feels like an "old world" dare i say "tuscan" kitchen.
    i would probably go with granite, some wood counter for cutting. i do love the idea of limestone counters also.
    maybe, possibly marble, but it must/should have some gold/brown in it. but reallly not feeling that with the floor.
    concrete counters, maybe, but it must be the right finish and color to pull it off.

there are tons of granite out there and i am sure u can find something to go with it. with your materials so far that we can see, i dont think cesaerstone or other man made would work. this looks like a kitchen that needs a natural material. IMHO

love the floor, door and hood...this is going to be fab!!!
    keep the pics coming!!!

good luck, i know this is a hard decision!!

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Ahhh, this one even has burgundy in it.
    (Loads of pretty possibility on this site.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Haussmann

• User
    11 years ago

Count me in as another person who cannot wait to see your finished kitchen! Everything you have done so far is so pretty and the floor is so unusual. My opinion - I would not do copper for the countertop - with that colorful flooring I think your counter should be something quiet and matte - limestone or concrete seem like good choices. I know nothing about zinc but the photos above looked very pretty. Honed marble would be good too, but maybe a a bit too white?

kitchendetective above mentioned Francois and Co. or Exquisite Surfaces - I would love to hear from anyone who has had experiences from either of those companies. I spoke to both and ended up ordering floor tile from one. Although I do like the tile I ended up with, my experiences were a bit sketchy.

PS - do you have any photos of your range to share? I have ordered a Bluestar range with a bit of brass also (end caps and bezels)....but haven't seen it in person yet!!

• roxydakota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello to all once again-
    On a new (!) computer- murphy's law rules again. But I've found a nice counter choice I think and wanted to keep the GW chorus up to date-
    This is a honed piece of Giallo quartzite (at least that's what our fabricator called it) I already zapped it with lemon and red wine to no effect-
    {{!gwi}}
    Here's a pic I took at the yard of one of the slabs still in it's polished state-
    {{!gwi}}
    jennyfromtheblock, my Bluestar is ready to be delivered, but I need to wait until the wood floors and cabs are installed. I will post as soon as it's in the house, believe me. Should be 2 weeks-
    And for those of you wondering about the cabinets- they're sitting all around me, still wrapped in plastic. The delivery schedule got a bit messed up when we changed our mind about the flooring...but they look beautiful. Now just hoping everything fits what with the difficult geometry around the range and hood in the corner, etc.
    some unwrapped drawers...
    {{!gwi}}
    one of the upper cabs- my husbands clever idea about using the caning...
    {{!gwi}}
    and the middle upper cab with plate rack...
    {{!gwi}}
    annsch - thanks for the pictures. I've always loved zinc myself- maybe I can use some in the garden area. and Kitchen detective, limestone was my first choice, but i think with the level of my housekeeping, I'm safer with the quartzite. And I think it looks a bit like limestone in the honed example, no?

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Wonderful! I thought of suggesting honed Giallo Macaubus, actually. It's all going to be fabulous.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Your cabinets are gorgeous! That counter will look awesome with them!

• roxydakota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kitchen Detective-
    Thanks for the name of the stone. I had a feeling the fabricator was using a kind of common name substitute for the "scientific genus!"

• User
    11 years ago

I love your cabinets! (we are doing wood also) I can't wait to see it when everything is in place!

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is going to be FABULOUS!! I cannot wait to see everything come together. I thought the copper hood was gorgeous. And that floor! And then I see the cabinets! Oh my!! Beyond gorgeous!!! I love your choice of counter!

Your kitchen is going to be really spectacular and totally my cup of tea. Please keep the pictures coming! I think I drooled all over my laptop.

• MrsShayne
    11 years ago

Omg! That floor is amazing! I don't think anything could look bad in that kitchen. Never the less, YOU need to go to a granite yard and see the slabs in person (if haven't done so already). I went to one stone yard three times and wasn't sure so I tried a different granite yard farther away and fell in love with a slab that I never knew existed. Good luck! Post more pics!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite yard and choices

• MrsShayne
    11 years ago

Omg! That floor is amazing! I don't think anything could look bad in that kitchen. Never the less, YOU need to go to a granite yard and see the slabs in person (if haven't done so already). I went to one stone yard three times and wasn't sure so I tried a different granite yard farther away and fell in love with a slab that I never knew existed. Good luck! Post more pics!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite yard and choices

• starinasgarden
    11 years ago

Your home is beautiful. Are your kitchen walls plastered? Beautiful finishes, materials and space.
    I think this is going to be my favorite kitchen.