Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Citronella Stain on honed granite!!

Posted by laceylynn3 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 12:31

Help,
A citronella candle melted on our outdoor kitchen counter.
It is honed granite. We cannot get the dark stain out of the granite. Any ideas please! We tried hot soap and water, an iron over paper bag....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Citronella Stain on honed granite!!

Try making a poultice. That worked for us in removing stains from a soap crayon from our white marble tiles. I can't remember exactly what was in it but if you search here or google you should find plenty. Good luck!

o

I'd put some lacquer thinner under Saran wrap, tape the edges, shade it and wait a few hours or a day. Careful, that stuff is flammable.

o

lacey
What type or color honed granite do you have-this will give us an idea or the porosity.
Citronella is an essential oil (among other chems) in a wax base.
So a heated candle falling on the surface can cause havoc.
What have you tried so far.
If the lacquer thinner doesn't work there are other things you can try.
Let us know more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here