Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adh673

Shiloh or similar cab costs

adh673
13 years ago

Who is willing to tell me what they paid for their shiloh or similar cabinets? My kitchen is 23 by about 13 with an island and I feel like my cabinet costs are high. I need a sanity check. I'm reading too many posts with people getting $6K cabinets and I'm wondering if I am missing something. My current number is around 45K. I do have *some* bells/whistles- turned legs, dw panel, couple pull outs...but otherwise I went with no upcharge doors/glazes.

I am thinking of dumping my hutch and replacing it with an antique stand alone one.

Comments (25)

• lifeisgood50
    13 years ago

I am looking at Decora cabinets (semi custom) for my kitchen--a total of 21 cabinets most of them cherry (no glazes) and some of them painted (roasted pepper) maple. No bells and whistles other than 2 glass doors and legs instead of toekick on the maple pieces, and some organiztaion pieces like cutlery dividers. All doors and drawers have soft close feature Total cost after discounts is just over $20,000 at Home Depot. I began this process with a kitchen designer who quoted around $26,000 for very mediocre, all maple cabinets that did not include soft close features or any other extras. That price couldn't even get me panels on the back of the penisula. They were planning to use unfinished bead board and recommended that I paint it! I had to move on and learned that it pays to shop around.

I hope this info helps you out.

• pps7
    13 years ago

For Shiloh, there is no upcharge for glazes or inset. I don't think there is one for door styles either but I'm not sure. Our kitchen is 11 x 20 with an 8 x 4 island. We have painted cabinets and there is an upcharge for that as well as full overlay if that's what you are interested in. Our kitchen cabinets were about 20K. We have 4 pullouts( 2 trash, 2 oil). A few bells and whistles too (some 5 piece drawer fronts, furniture style legs, baseboard for island, pull out baskets). We did Shiloh for for our entire house- 4 baths, laundry room, basement bar, and very large dining room built in.

I think 6K is probably unreasonable. Is 45K the Shiloh price? Seems like you should be able to get something for 25-30K. I can post pics if you'd like.

• adh673
    Original Author
    13 years ago

45K is Shiloh- and we are very far down the line with the KD but we bumped up 10K from initial draft to current quote. In fairness, I also had a 45K quote from berch (first draft) and a 60K from some line at Cabinet Discounters. Here is what I have- roughly:

Beaded inset, painted glazed, brushed, highlighted, oxford door style--all but possibly beaded is no upcharge

4 inch crown and 3 areas of furntiure toes
    4 turned legs on island, 2 on sink, 2 on range
    Wood Hood- 42 inch

Double trash pullout
    12 inch basket pull out
    DW panel
    wine fridge panel
    hutch with 3 upper, 3 lower cab/drawers- includes the wine fridge panel and has a diagonal panel to fill out middle lower bump out
    cab front and frame for stacked wd
    cab above fridge
    36 inch pantry (floor to ceiling)
    2 drawer bank with breadbox
    2 tray cabs- 9 inch
    2 6 inch spice pull outs
    3 drawer 36 inch drawer bank
    square corner cab
    super susan lower corner cab
    3 18 inch uppers
    1 36 inch upper
    24 inch sink base in island
    30 inch drawer base in island (part is microwave)
    27 inch drawer base in island (part is warming drawer)
    6 inch cab on side of island
    Beadboad on island under overhang and back of hutch.

So is that a lot or no?

Thank you guys so much for responding and being open about your cabinet spend!

• builderbob_2010
    13 years ago

I looked at Shiloh and went with FE cabinets instead. Shiloh has a wood grained vinyl interior and over all was lower grade than FE. The price was very close. I was really impressed with the cabinet photos on line, and more so when they arrived. Try kitchenplace.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchenplace

• pps7
    13 years ago

I would talk to your KD and change a few things. One thing that is driving costs is that you have so many little cabinets. A 12 inch cabinet doesn't cost that much more than a 6 inch one and by doing 2 6 inch spice racks instead of one you are essentially doubling your cost. Same for the 2 9 inch Tray cabinets. You are also wasting alot of storage Space in the frames. have you seen a12 in inset pullout in the showroom? It's not very big. I have a 18 in cabinet with 2 dividers for trays/cutting board.

I don't have any appliance panels and I'm using a ss hood so there's probably significant cost there.

• grlwprls
    13 years ago

I have Shiloh Homestead soft white painted maple beaded inset. My 9x10x9 (only 3 walls) came in at $12,100. But I have nothing fancy other than modifications to one wall's cabinets to have them top out 102". I have a mix of drawers and cabinets, full extension soft close on the drawers and a tall pantry 27"Wx18"Dx102" H. I have two 102" fridge panels. I also have 2 glass cabs and there's a charge to have the interior match the exterior. If I knew then that I was going with glue chip glass, I wouldn't have spent that money.

Yes, the 12" pullout is only about 8" wide. I have a Rev-a-shelf stainless pegboard in mine for frying pans.

I'm quite pleased with my cabinet quality and the finish is great. I can compare it to the painted maple from Mid Continent in my laundry room and I'm glad I went with Shiloh in the kitchen.

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

The first three items on your list are adding a huge chunk to the cost. These are the first areas I use to save my clients money. I'm talking thousands!!
    Painted finish, with most companies, can add up to 20% of your cabinet cost, sometimes no extra charge for glazing.
    Does your price include install?

• adh673
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So, weird situation. The day before we were to sign our order for Shiloh cabinets, our KD quit (her firm). These cabinets are really expensive, seemingly more than other peoples, but then again, we seem to only get high quotes. We just sort of gave up on any sense of economy since we spent so much time with this KD.

Anyway, I was wondering, given the situation, if I should check with another Shiloh dealer and see if I get the same price back. Is that weird? I have a full plan, which I paid for (the design fee gets applied to the cabinets). The company is trying to reassure me that everything is fine without having my KD from here on out and they will fill someone in, but I'm sort of wondering if I should quickly price shop given my relationship was really with the KD, who we loved.

• vpierce
    13 years ago

We have Medallion inset cabinets and I would second the thoughts about the narrower cabinets. We have one cabinet that is 18" and that is about as narrow as I would want to go with inset. We use it for a tray cabinet. The plan originally called for a 12" cabinet, which we actually received and set in place, but it was so narrow it was practically useless. After we got our appliances and peninsula in, we decided we had some extra space, so we ordered the 18". It is MUCH better.

• clergychick
    13 years ago

Our Shiloh cabs came to around $24K-- painted, highlighted, glazed, beaded on lowers only, full overlay. We had the hood custom made, so that added on, but I wanted few bells and whistles: trash pull out, one cab of verticle storage, otherwise plain cabs -- not even many drawers. The drawers are all full extension with soft close and the cabs are great quality, very solid.
    HTH! -Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Shiloh cabinet kitchen

• adh673
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone- what would I do without this board?! Thank you for your posts and pictures!

Anyway, the owner agreed to knock off the commission amount from our owner so I guess we moving in the right direction...

Clergychick, what color are your cabs? PPS7, I would love photos.

As for the comments on the smaller cabs being costs and hard to work with, I agree- it just sort of happened with our layout that we'd have 6 or 9 inches here or there next to non-expandable objects (like DW) and at the end of the run. I guess I could have gone with fillers but I figured I could put cutting boards in there. And the dual 6 inch cabs by the range are my fault- I wanted narrow spice cabinets so that only two bottles max could fit across.

• clergychick
    13 years ago

Our cabs are the Soft White with Cafe highlighting and glaze. HTH! -- Amy

• pps7
    13 years ago

Sorry, crappy cell phone pic is all i've got so far...

• adh673
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you pps- the kitchen is beautiful. I'd kill for those high ceiling. Wait until you see my hobit house wiht 8 foot ceilings! :-)

• tinycastles
    13 years ago

I hope more people can add to this thread... I am in the process of getting a quote for Shiloh inset in their brand-spankin' new 'old world' finish, and would love to see what others are being quoted and/or have paid (for Shiloh, not just this specific finish). My kitchen is approximately 19'x12' but open to a hearth room where I am doing a built-in hutch thingy.

• joan2121
    13 years ago

Tinycastle,
    Have you heard back from Shiloh yet? I am also waiting for a quote on Shiloh cabs, homestead style in polar white?(yet to be decided) My kitchen is 18x15. I am doing no uppers on the sink/window side. Will have a 4x8' island. My rep didn't say anything about the old world finish. What is that? I have a friend who just did her whole new house (Kitchen, all bathrooms, laundry, office, etc) in Shiloh in is very pleased with the quality and price.

• Dana Alberco
    6 years ago

I just got my estimate for shiloh. I was also shocked!! We have a large kitchen, butler's pantry and we did get the bells and whistles and it came to 60,000. I am in process of wondering of what others paid for the brand name myself.

• Helen
    6 years ago

Anglophilia - It looks like you have inset doors on uppers with internal hinges. And for lower drawers and sink cabinet, you went with full overlay.

Am I reading your configuration correctly?

I ak considering inset cabinets for my uppers and full overlay drawers on frameless boxes for the lowers and was looking for visual examples

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

You're correct about the uppers but bottom are European frameless - wanted every bit of real estate poibble. I like the combination as I'm not a matchy girl.

• Helen
    6 years ago

Ok. That’s what I was asking as I want frameless cabinets in bottoms where I will have drawers and the sink cabinet in order to maximize storage. Is that what you mean by European frameless - I.e. far,less with full overlay doors and drawers that take advantage of the Frameless construction?

I have a few uppers with shelves and would like inset and storage with inset for shelves isn’t as much of an issue since I already am familiar with stashing things behind the frames of my current uppers.

But it looks like you have interior hinges on the inset doors. Is that correct. I’ve usually seen inset with hinges and wondered how they looked with interior hinges.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Shiloh does hidden hinges with their inset. At first, I was sad about this - love the look of the U.K. Plain English. Now, I realize this is a good thing - fewer things to collect dog hair/dust, and a cleaner look.

European are also known as Frameless. If course, there is a narrow frame, but ones does get a bit more interior space.

• Dana Alberco
    6 years ago

Thank you!!!

• Rudebekia
    6 years ago

My Shiloh inset cabinets came in at about $13,000 for a small kitchen. I priced three brands and these came out in the middle but were superior in quality and I liked the builder's center I worked with.Here's a thread with my kitchen:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/4506819/finished-1923-kitchen-with-breakfast-nook?n=57

• Mandy Rice
    5 years ago

My Estimate For Kitchen Perimeter & Island is 55k | Pantry 22k | Butler $3,500. Cabinets are Inset, Painted, 5pc dovetail soft close. As usual this doesn't include any counter tops or hardware BUT does include labor · I think this pricing is just silly for a "mid range" price cabinet. Thoughts on Pricing? Trying to find another dealer to get another quote but no response from shiloh about who else sells locally.