Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Need Layout Suggestions

numbersjunkie
11 years ago

Looking for layout ideas for "fixing" the kitchen in my lake house. We have owned the house for 20 years and we rent it a lot in the summer. But now we're starting to think about spending more time there (retirement) and I can't bear the thought of living with this layout or putting $$$ into new cabinets, counter, etc if the dysfunctional design isn't fixed.

Here's some background and what we hope to accomplish.

We want an open plan. Hoping to pull down the walls between the kitchen and the LR & DR. We're not sure about structural issues but it's a ranch house and if necessary we can put in a beam to support the roof.

I want to move the entry door to the wall where the pantry is currently located - even though the house is brick and this could be expensive. And maybe move the W/D to the basement. The current door location does not allow a full depth counter to extend all the way on to the wall. I think the people who built the house took a stock plan and shrunk to down without considering the clearances needed for things like doors because both bathrooms have the same problem.

I would like an island with informal seating. The island will probably have to accommodate a cooktop and undercounter oven since there probably won't be space anywhere else. I have this in my main house kitchen and I'm fine with it.

I do have one idea but wanted to see what you can come up with before sharing it. Hoping you can give me more options to work with.

Thanks!

Comments (3)