Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbx2_gw

Where to put the TV? What about other appliances?

pbx2_gw
11 years ago

Would like to see if the community can suggest where we can place the TV in the kitchen?

Please feel free to suggest moving things around since we still have time to make decisions.

The builder switched the range & frig+pantry to current position on the right - -previously it was on the left because he said that we can look through one of the archway & see range from the living room.

Below the island seats is the dining room.

Appliances will be:

30" range

Speed oven in wall

Refrigerator

Dishwasher

TV

Comments (9)

• User
    11 years ago

The island is too big for the kitchen, and making it smaller will leave you with seating for only one, so I don't really see this as a place that will be all that social to hang out and watch TV. If you want to watch TV in the kitchen, you need a better home layout where the family room is right next to the kitchen and you can see the TV from there instead of putting one in the kitchen. Maybe switch the dining and living rooms if you can't change plans and put the TV above the fireplace.

If you changed to a peninsula instead of an island, you'd have room for more seating and better clearance around the high traffic zone of the fridge. Put a prep sink on the peninsula, and a TV could go on the wall to the right, just down from your range. That way, both the prepper and the visitors could chat and be social and still watch the TV cooking shows, etc.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your feedback hollysprings!

The plan for the kitchen was not some social epicenter or an entertainment hub but more of a place for cooking & eating.

The idea of the TV was to have it as viewable as possible from many location in proximity. More infotainment than entertainment.

In the pic below from the model home which our plans are somewhat related to, the island didn't seem too big in our opinion from our live visit. Plus we've added 2 ft all around to the house vs. the model so a bit more elbow room will be had.

As of right now - a left corner spot built in over a speedoven could be a possibility.

• User
    11 years ago

There's no fridge, or stools, or people in your pic. Once you add those, the aisles will be much too small and the island will be in the way of everything. Putting all 3 different legs of a triangle on 3 different walls only works if there is a clear path between all of those legs. That doesn't work here because the island is in the middle of everything. Switch it to a peninsula with a prep sink and you have a great prep area protected against through traffic, plus you have much better access to the fridge for snackers.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I see where you are coming from.
    Interesting concept.
    Let me go do some more research on it.

Appreciate the feedback!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We put our tv over the fridge...which is on our back wall, across from the island so DH can watch tv while eating at the island.

GF put hers on the counter at the wall end of her peninsula so it can be turned toward the table or the kitchen for easy viewing, and being under the cabs at the end of the peninsula is an awkward space to use for much else.

• User
    11 years ago

I'd second the suggestion to turn the island into a peninsula here. And to add to that, I'd move that pantry out of the kitchen and put it in the utility room area in place of the "office nook" whatever that is. Laptops have replaced desks and the only thing you need is a place for the printer and router. Moving the pantry would let you slide the fridge down closer to the kitchen's point of entry and make it easier to access from those outside the kitchen. Put a MW either under cabinet or built into an upper next to the fridge and you've created an ideal snack zone. Your other small appliances can go on that wall as well, maybe with an appliance garage to conceal them. It's a MUCh better layout, and one that multiple people can work in the kitchen with each other without interfering with each other's tasks. The current layout doesn't even really work well for one person, but add more people, and it will be a constant bump fest.

• allnewappliances
    11 years ago

We have a somewhat similar layout in the kitchen area with a huge island. I don't think your island is too big at all and def like it better than a peninsula. My layout might not be the "perfect layout" according the kitchen layout rules but it works. So I might have to walk a few extra steps to get around the island, the benefits of the big island outweigh all of that completely. Whenever someone new comes in my kitchen, their first comment is how much they love my island and wish they had one so big.
    What is the measurement of the island?
    And do you want the TV to be watched by the people at the island, dining area, sink, or cooking, etc?
    Just my two cents :-)

• taggie
    11 years ago

What about in the corner between the sink & fridge? Or perhaps even on the backsplash wall centered between the sink & corner? Then you could see it while sitting at the island and while prepping in the range aisle.

I don't think your island or aisle widths are problematic... looks like you have 46" between the island and range. We have 42" and I would not want it any wider. It's not like people have to get by you while you're between the island and the range, they can go the other way by the fridge -- in fact, you'd likely want them out of your aisle anyway.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ allnewappliances & @taggie - that is my belief also - there is space to move about.

The inspiration I have is Babs711's beautiful new build kitchen area HERE.

@GreenDesigns - upon further discussion with my builder, our main concern with a peninsula is that it basically cuts off half the kitchen area and it creates a big 'dance floor' with basically empty standing space. Yeah we won't bump into any1 but we also could have too many 'civilians' in one spot & you know what they say in physics - 2 many objects can't occupy the same space... LOL!

Also, to your other points:

1) we can't trade the pantry for the office nook because our build won't have a den. Plus working at the dining table or having a desk in the bedroom is not our style.

2) however, your point about moving the fridge to the entry point is doable & we are considering moving it across to the right side of the kitchen OR moving the pantry across to that position & sliding the fridge down on the left side.

3) moving the speedoven to an under counter position in the island is another interesting option based on your comments.

Thanks all for the valuable feedback.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH