Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pendant opinions please

Posted by ds945 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 12:19

Here are the pendants I am considering for my kitchen island. It has only taken me 1 year to find these (lol - I always get 90% done then get stuck). They are in oil rubbed bronze. They are roughly 11" wide by 17" tall. I think I will try beekeeper's wife's suggestion and use balloons to see if they are the right size for my island. (My island is 3' x 5'. I would love opinions.
Here is a rough photo cut and paste.
 photo dc9c4e49-22fc-4b28-a949-e95b5d875efe.jpg
 photo pendant2.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pendant opinions please

11 x 17 is huge. I think they will be too big for your smallish island. One might be okay; but I wouldn't put two of that size in your space.

o

Hmm.... I am thinking that since they are basically open metal that they won't seem too big (there is no glass). I definitely think that 17 inches is not too tall. I have 9' ceilings. I am not sure about the 11' wide, though.

o

Oops forgot to say that they are not returnable, so I really do appreciate the critiques. This wouldn't be the first item I have purchased and then regretted.

o

They may be fine. I have a smaller island than you do. My pendant is 10" wide (I just did a single) and IMO it is too big for my space. I bought a coordinating pendant for over my sink and that one is 8 1/2 wide and just right. I am thinking I may move the bigger pendant over the sink and the smaller one over the island. I bought mine from lamps plus but they sat in my basement for 5 or 6 weeks so I don't think they would exchange the bigger one.

o

I agree imho they will be too big. One will work, but two will overwhelm the space. They may be clear, but visually they are like large cages that take up volume. 11" is nearly a third of your island width and 22" is over a third of your length

This post was edited by gooster on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 13:30

o

I looked up the dimensions again and they are 10 1/4 inch which I believe is at the top, they curve in and are probably 8 or 9 inches wide at the bottom. Does that make a difference?

o

I think your island is too small for 2 pendants unless they are mini pendants.

o

My island is 4.5 ft x 4 ft and my 2 pendants are 5 in wide. I think the ones you've chosen are nice, but too large for your island.

o

Thanks everyone. Back to the drawing board for me. I will look for smaller pendants.

o

Here's a similar, smaller version (but it does have glass panes):

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Gull Lighting 2 Light Foyer Pendant

o

Thanks everyone. Have decided to go smaller. Thanks for the sea gull pendant suggestion - it is now a contender.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here