Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhousems

Need Some Help on fixing my wood Finnish mess up

greenhousems
9 years ago

Hello fellow garden webers!

I need some advice in fixing a faux pas that I made with my Walnut Kitchen Countertop finish.

About 2 years ago I finally installed my dream kitchen adding walnut counters... My kitchen installer and I finished the counters with Waterlox and I could not have been happier.

In the Spring I was sprucing up the kitchen getting ready to rent out the house as I had taken a job in California - (My home is in NJ) I decided to touch up the countertops and here is my big mistake.. I used Tung Oil! I now know what a dumb thing to do that was. Several months later the Finnish is still 'tacky'.

If there are any experts on this situation.. Please chime in. I have a woodworker who has agreed to fix it but I want to make sure he takes the right steps and does not make it worse.

I have read to use Mineral Spirits to remove as much do the residue as possible.. Then possibly sand and ten reapply the Waterlox.

I know that this is the site where I will get absolute expert advice so please let me know next steps. Just hoping to get back my wonderful Waterlox Finnish!

Comments (3)