Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabinets & Painting

Posted by BrandyChach (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 12:11

We just moved into a new house 2 weeks ago. PO painted the cabinets are dark red-orange that I despise. Since moving in we replaced the bottom cabs because they were falling apart, the tops are in good shape just painted ugly. So as of now bottom cabs are unfinished, tops red-orange paint. We are having Steel Gray granite installed soon ( templating being done Monday) and the backsplash is staying. Painting the walls SW Meander. My question..what do to with cabs? And what products? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabinets & Painting

Brandy, I just finished painting my cabinets. It's a tedious process that requires patience due to the wait times between coats. But it's very doable and satisfying, especially when you hate the original color of your cabinets. After a lot of sanding and deglossing, I used a few coats of zinzzer oil- based primer followed by a custom soft white in SW Proclassic satin. IMHO, I think they look beautiful. I first did the pantry about a year ago, and the paint has held up really well with hard use. I don't know the color meander, so don't know your color pallet, but I think a soft gray cabinet would look great with the granite and backsplash, both of which are very pretty by the way. You could also go white or even black, depending what the rest of your place looks like. Hope that helps.

o

I was thinking of white on top, black on bottom. But I'm not sure what paint or stain to use. Originally I was thinking of using the rusteloum cabinet transformations but have read bad reviews of it and with two kids and a dog, I don't want something that will look banged up in a year. Meander is like a light blue/ teal.
Really I just would like opinions on what others have done and if anyone thinks I should strip the top cabs first before sanding and priming.

This post was edited by BrandyChach on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 21:22

o

I'm no pro or anything and maybe someone else can chime in but, using an oil based anything when painting white might not be a good idea as it will tend to yellow over time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here