Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beantownrenovator

Paint color to go with white kitchen?

beantownrenovator
15 years ago

Hi All -

I need to get paint colors to my contractor this week - we are going to have white cabinets, grayish/black counters, white subway tile and dark hardwood floors. I'm trying to figure out the right paint color...the obvious choice to me would be a light tan but I'm concerned about it clashing with the counters...if we were to do a light grey I don't think it would look great with the floors. I would consider a muted color if you had a good idea...also specific paint names would be appreciated (if you know them). Thanks as always and happy 4th!

Comments (13)

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Many people favor a muted grayish sagey green with that kind of combination. What are you doing for a b/s and what other rooms/colors is the kitchen open to?

• hollylh
    15 years ago

I think it depends on how white your white is--stark white or creamier? BM Abington Putty is really nice with a creamy white. A greenish tan that looks better than it sounds! I also recently saw two other BM colors in a magazine that would be beautiful with grey--both much bluer--Colorado Grey and Harbor Haze. (2136-5 NS 2136-6) Haven't seen them in person. HTH

• redroze
    15 years ago

Our kitchen will be very similar to yours. White cabinets on the perimeter, dark brown hardwood floors, white/greyish granite. We're going with Benjamin Moore Natural Cream, which is a warm grey beige. I've held the paint chip up to our floors and door and granite samples many times, and it works really well - not too warm, not too cool.

• beantownrenovator
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks everyone so much - I'm not wild about doing anything with green in it...

the kitchen is not open to any rooms but the dining room and living room will be in camels.

what do you think about using rmkitchen's icey blue color (Benjamin Moore's Pearl River 871)? I love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: rmkitchen's kitchen

• beantownrenovator
    Original Author
    15 years ago

p.s. redroze I'm going to check out your color. thanks!

• gglks
    15 years ago

what are some opinions about darker colors??? i also am putting in a kitchen that sounds very similar to beantownrenovator. BM has a color hancock gray that i really like but is much darker than everyone's recommendations......beantownrenovator, i think it will be too green for you though....

• tschuller
    15 years ago

Anything in the blue family would go nicely. It would give contrast to the white cabinets and compliment the dark counters. A few options would be BM Nantucket Fog (a blue/grey), BM Harbor Haze, BM Buxton Blue, BM Marlboro Blue.

• mary_in_nc
    15 years ago

I ended up using a light tan color called Rice Grain by Sherwin Williams in an eggshell finish.

• rosie
    15 years ago

How super of you to come back and show everyone what you chose. Thank you, and good choice. It looks wonderful!

• redroze
    15 years ago

Beantown - here's the Natural Cream by Benjamin Moore. It's a really great neutral that goes both with white cabinets, as well as dark stained brown ones. You sound like you want something darker though.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I looked at your initial post the day you first wrote it and read that you were thinking of a tan so I didn't pipe in. But I was just enjoying our blue wall and thought "no, I'm going to say 'think outside the tan box'" but as I scrolled down saw you'd beat me to it, so to speak.

I think those tans others chose are lovely and elegant, but I'll tell you, that blue makes my heart skip a beat. I know it sounds silly, but I just love it. (I also happen to find it lovely and elegant!)

I'd love to know what you chose and, if you're ready, to see any pictures ....

Thank you for saying nice things about our color choice.

• beantownrenovator
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you all so much for reviving this thread and giving more ideas. i hadn't updated you all yet bc the painters are just beginning...but drumroll please...I chose rmkitchen's pearl river...they start the painting this week but we won't have counters till September. I promise when it's all done I will take pics and share. Rmkitchen, I know what you mean, it makes my heart skip a beat too - it's absolutely perfect...the rest of your kitchen makes my heart skip two beats though! I love the paint color so much I'm thinking about it for my bedroom too. Will keep you all posted, and thanks so much again.

• soigne
    15 years ago

We used more of an ivory color: