Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Seeking Suggestions for IKEA Layout

numbersjunkie
10 years ago

I'm considering updating the kitchen in a house we plan to sell next year. It looks like houses in the area currently go for 100K-135K, the less expensive ones probably need a lot of work and those at the upper end all seem to have nice updated kitchens. Our house is nice except for the kitchen which is old and has a poor layout. It has built-in appliances that need to be replaced ($$$) so part of my goal is to reconfigure to add more functionality and allow for a freestanding range.

There are two adjoing walls to work with, one is 140" with side walls at each end (no flexibility to move them). It is an interior wall that separates the kitchen from the living room in the front of the house. There is a doorway on the left side wall that connects the kitchen to the rest of the house but it begins about 40" from the corner so we would have full use of the 140" wall. On the right hand side the connecting wall is 154" and ends at the door that leads to the garage. On the other side of the door is a nice eating area with a large window to the back yard. There are no windows on either wall that will be used for the work area.

It seems to me that the best layout would be to put the range on the wall dividing the kitchen from the living room, and the sink on the garage wall. That way the refrigerator can be at the end next to the garage door and there will be no issues with opening it against a wall. Plus it would be close to the eating area. I was also thinking that the trash pullout should be on that side of the sink run to make it accessible without crossing into the work zone.

What I am struggling with is the rest of the details, in particular the location of the DW relative to the dish and silverware storage. I am fighting with the dreaded wasted corner space. Ikea has 2 options for the base corner - one requires 37" on each side (carosuel) and one is a 49 x 24 cabinet with 21 " door on one side and a pullout to make use of the dead space.

Also, IKEA drawer cabinets only come in 15,18,24,30,and 36. Pullouts/cabinets can be 12 or 15, 18, 21, 24 but they have no drawer for a 21 pullout.

Can anyone suggest a good layout for this space? I know there are many of you out there that are very good this sort of thing. Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)

• karen_belle
    10 years ago

It would be best if you uploaded a picture of your layout.