Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Island with granite overhang - do I really need legs?

Posted by fitzsh (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 12:05

I have been lurking for some time absorbing all kinds of wisdom and now here I am hoping for more...

Our island as it is presently planned would have an arched overhang that s 9" at the ends and 15" in the middle. The actual overall dimensions are 3'3" at the deepest and 2'9" at the ends.

I want to increase the depth by a few inches to allow for more of an overhang and hopefully ensure comfortable seating and be able to see more of our gorgeous granite.

Initially I was told that corbels or brackets would take care of it. Now I am being told I would need legs on the overhang to prevent the base cabinets from tipping over (!?). Really?

I have not defined "few inches" but am thinking I'd like an additional 3". From what I have read with a 3cm granite an 8" corbel would take care of this. I do not want legs if I don't need them!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Island with granite overhang - do I really need legs?

The cabinet should be bolted to the floor. Even with legs it would not stop the whole thing tipping over it someone leaning hard, falling into the island, etc.

Ours is a different situation but our only cabinet in the island and the only leg are both bolted to the floor.

This post was edited by debrak_2008 on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 12:10

o

Thanks debrak_2008
I kind of thought cabinets were always secured to the floor, aren't they?

o

I have an island that has cabinets that are 5' wide. The overhang is 14" all across and it has the triangular supports. It is code that they be bolted down. My BB is 7' long and also has a 14" piece of granite. I had asked about having side panels for support and aesthetics but the cabinet guy thought the braces were better. It probably depends on the weight of the granite/counter. Mine is 3 cm (1.25") thick.

o

We are currently doing an island overhang that is about 15 without legs. We are using braces instead of legs b/c I wanted more room for seating. One factor to consider is your choice of granite. Some stones are better suited (absolute black) to this than others (i.e.: those that have a high silica content) b/c they are less likely to crack. So, I would suggest talking to your granite fabricator in addition to your cabinet guy. You should be able to use braces.

o

Cabinets along a wall are secured to the wall. With Cabinets in an island you need to consider the situation to determine how much support you need.

Since we are DIYers we consulted with the granite supplier/fabricator to determine the support needed. Then DH did a little more just to be sure.

Here is our island. Note that we have a 1.5 " plywood base with a heating element. So our island top is heavy than just granite. Anyway the same principles apply. See the electric outlets on the back of the cabinets? That enclosure holds the electric and an L bracket bolting the cabinet to the floor. I think the L bracket could have been put inside the cabinet but his was how DH chose to do it. The SS leg has an L bracket at the rear (toward window) that is just barely visible. DH was preparing for worst case scenario.

kitchen9-5032_zps824de4e9 photo kitchen9-5032_zps824de4e9.jpg

o

We had a steel shelf fabricated and welded to some corbels that are bolted to the cabinet. Where there's a will.....

Good granite guys know how to do load calculations to know where support needs to be. In general the longer the run, the better it is to have flat surfaces beneath to prevent sagging. While its a gross estimate, most overhangs under 9 inches are fine. We had a 12 inch overhang on our galaxy black (which we hated) island with no problems for the 12 years it lived in our house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here