Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigjim24

Green Mountain AP Soapstone is in the House! (Pic heavy)

bigjim24
12 years ago

First, thanks so much to jalsy6 and prill, for recommending CESS. Dave was really great and did the majority of the fabricating in my driveway! The process was beyond cool and completed in 1 day :) Their craftsmanship was awesome. And they left me the waste so I can make ice cubes (ask if you're interested) and grilling stones! To their credit, they didn't even say anything when I oiled the island and began to cry tears of pure joy. Many, many thanks!

Sorry about the pic quality, had to use the phone because I can't find camera charger in the chaos.

I lived with mustard yellow Formica (counter and backsplash) since 1994. Here's a glimpse when the dishwasher could not wait for the actual demo. RIP my old friend.

nothing against it but when the ss rolled in...

The yippee dance began.

In progress, befores and afters.

I just love how the veins wrap down the edges! OK I'm in love with all of it.

Thank you GW for all the lurking and finally postings that brought this rock home:)

PS, I still can't manage to got the pics smaller. Sorry!

Comments (36)

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

WOW! Absolutely gorgeous!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Gorgeous, and well deserving of a happy dance!!!!

• brickton
    12 years ago

I love the two pics of the runnels because how good is that seam? It's crazy, if I didn't see the un-oiled pic with the behind the sink piece missing I wouldn't believe that there's a seam there.

Nice stone. Great photos.

• Kode
    12 years ago

Oh my...wowza! It's so beautiful!

• prill
    12 years ago

Oh, beautiful! So glad you are happy. Isn't it amazing when that truck rolls up? That ss is so pretty and I love the runnels.. Wish I had some.
    Think Dave would come back and make some for me?
    Many happy years with your lovely kitchen.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I can see why you cried tears of joy.
    Truly beautiful.
    Enjoy your new soapstone.
    ~boxer

• celineike
    12 years ago

I'm in love with it too. Gorgeous!

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cluelessincolorado, kode, celinike, and cat_mom Thanks!

brickton They did such a great job I can't even see the seams with my glasses on, in the sunlight, with the lights on. Maybe I should add Colonel Mustard with a candlestick in the kitchen, because for me it is drop dead gorgeous :) And that's only after the 1st oiling.

Prill, thanks so much. After what I've experienced with Dave and his SS magic I'm sure he will. Thanks again for the recommendation. It was through you and here that I found them. The other companies, after reading reviews left gaps and obvious seams.

Boxer, Tears of joy, relief, and oh the possibilities. Yes, yes, and yes!

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Beautieous!

• enduring
    12 years ago

Beautiful stone, you will be so happy with these. They are so homey. Good job! Looking forward to seeing more.

• petra66_gw
    12 years ago

Never mind the pictures being big, now we can see that gorgeous stone all the better!! I can totally understand the happy dance and the tears, congratulations!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I love how the veins go through the runnels! Actually, it is all so fabulous ;)

• jalsy6
    12 years ago

Awesome! They do great work -somehow I missed out on the ice cubes though!!! The combo with your cabs is really gorgeous.

• hsw_sc
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Enjoy that gorgeous stone!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Very very beautiful and I get the love thing. The adoration for your stone will only continue to grow as you use your kitchen! Congrats!

• irishcreamgirl
    12 years ago

It is beautiful!! I had never even heard of or seen soapstone counters until joining this forum. I've still never seen any in person.

Enjoy!

• darbuka
    12 years ago

Yummmmmmmm!

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Beautiful, Celt.

Did you perchance watch them make the runnels? Could you describe it? I am imagining making a slanted jig and using a router with a round carbide bit. Am I anywhere close?

• cj47
    12 years ago

Sigh...those are simply gorgeous.
    Enjoy!
    Cj

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

That is veinalicious! Wow! Congratulations on getting counters.

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

aliris19, darbuka, hsw_sc, petra66, dianalo, cj, breezy (veinalicious! That's it!) Thanks all.

irishcreamgirl, neither had I. Had to search a long time (counter suppliers thought I was crazy). BUT, when I touched it and imagined cooking in a kitchen with it, I was a goner.

Remodel, I can't wait to use it. Sometime away off though. I really miss my old sink.

jalsy6 , Cut the leftovers small 3/4", tumble and put in freezer. They bring down the temp of beverages, without dilution. And presto! A perfectly chilled Irish Whiskey or whatever your prefer. They also work well with red wine and do not stain. Plus they are reusable:) Here's a sample.

enduring, Thanks, and I'll post more when...

angie - I did not happen to watch that aspect. Sorry. If you want I can email Dave and get back to you.

• calimama
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! I love it! I wish I knew about soapstone when I was picking out counters! Yours is particularly beautiful!

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much calimama. It's a huge relief to love it as much as I do after all the hours of research. There are so many choices out there and for me at least this is a major investment. I'm so grateful I didn't mess it up with the help of GW :)

• Dea_NY
    12 years ago

They look great, and I think I know how you feel because Dave and Son were in my driveway two weeks ago! They did a great job for us too and were so nice to work with.

• bossanova2
    12 years ago

I am so in love with soapstone - it looks stunning! The seam seems to have melted into oblivion - congratulations on your beautiful kitchen!

• tnhillbillytoo
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!

• stephct
    12 years ago

Wow! Those countertops are AMAZING!!!! I'm looking for ss right now. Where is CESS/Dave located? You must be SO thrilled!

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

DEA - Do you love yours too? Dave was with his brother Tim not his son here. But they were great!

BossaNova, I love it too! No gaps, can't see seams, and very precise with their craft.

tnhillbillytoo, thanks a bunch!

stephct, I don't know where you are (hopefully CT) but they are based in NY.

They travel all over NE. (ME,NY, CT, MA, RI, NH, VT, and the islands). I love the fact that they fabricate in the driveway. One day for the template, one day for the install. Fabulous! They are the fabricators and have many distributors where they can purchase the stones. Thrilled? Beyond thrilled...and still doing the yippee dance every time I walk in the kitchen:)

• Mabies
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Our ss countertops are being installed Friday, we did the "template placement" -- sounds like a religous ceremony -- this morning; we are looking forward to seeing them installed!

• Adrienne Gray
    12 years ago

First - I LOVE the first pic... riotous.

Second... I swear your soapstone looks like a gorgeous thunderstorm, complete with lightning and thunder. Beautiful!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Love the veining and the runnels! Gorgeous!

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

What a great job! So glad you are happy with it
    Lynn

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mabies, you must be sooo excited. I didn't sleep the night before. I hope you love them - start practicing your yippee dance now. Please post when they are in! I can't wait to see them.

alabamamommy, you are so right. There are some big jagged veins that look just like lighting bolts. If that's a thunderstorm, bring it on!

gsciencechick, I agree the veining in the runnels are outrageous. Thanks.

Thanks so much Lynn.

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

How exciting! They look great.
    With how much you (and others love) SS, makes me realize I should at least consider it.

• ww340
    12 years ago

Ooohh, it is pitures like yours that makes me crave the soapstone for my own kitchen.

• bigjim24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

NSB, Thanks! I know SS is not for everyone, but it seemed right for me. There's lots of great postings on this forum if you may consider it. I never heard of SS before lurking here.

Thanks WRS - I know the feeling. I ooohed and aahhhed it just by looking at pictures.