Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brightm

Air switch and air gap question

brightm
9 years ago

Air switch:
I've never experienced an air switch. GC suggested it. I thought it sounded like a great idea. DH, not so much. The switch to our garbage disposal is on the wall perpendicular to the sink (most likely because it's an interior wall, the sink is on an exterior masonry wall). I can reach over to it okay while at the sink. Maybe it takes a step. The only time it's an issue now is if I have the old-fashioned pull-out cutting board out. Then I'm not tall enough to lean and reach over it. But that will be gone, so...non-issue.

If you have an air switch, love it? Like it? Regret it?
Also, I'm concerned about the finish. We're getting a nice KWC, all stainless HEAVY faucet. I'm afraid if I go with a HD stainless switch it will feel and possibly look 'off balance' with the heft/fit/finish of the faucet.

Air gap:
I know lots of places don't have them, but both my handyman and GC have said they don't do installs without them. I'm assuming they're code here, but I never got a straight answer to that question. MIL said when she had her new granite in her last kitchen, she didn't get one. But when it came time for the new DW, no one would install it without an air gap. (Don't know what she eventually did). And while I was set to go without one, all this coupled with it saving our bacon on our old DW because a hose was kinked, I've decided it's cheap insurance. DH, once again, feels the opposite on this.

Assuming we get an air gap (and keep it installed, I know the 'switch it out after inspection' option) I'd like it to look better than my shiny coated plastic job from HD.

I've ordered a Blanco stainless (polished nickel?) one since it was on sale and can be delivered with my sink and faucet this week and I can return it no harm/no foul. But I don't love it. I just like it better than any I've seen in person. It was $38.

I kind of love the one linked below from Waterstone. But it seems sort of crazy to pay about $160 for something I'm not even sure I truly need. Then again, if it is going to sit on my counter 'forever', I want it to look as good as possible and I think it would look the best with my faucet. And in the big scheme of things, it's not a huge difference.

I saw and dismissed the matching air switch. It's over $200. Every other one I've seen seems virtually identical and cheap. But I just don't think I can swallow this one.

What would you do on these matters?

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterstone 3020-ss

Comments (20)

• mellyc123
    9 years ago

I really like my airswitch for the disposal and had ordered a different cap for it so it would match my faucet. The package had multiple tops so this was not needed after all.

I am not sure what you mean by "air gap". We had our DW installed less than 2 years ago and this was not mentioned at all. It was also not mentioned by the plumber recently when reconnecting everything including the air switch.

I liked the air switch because it was one less switch to be on the wall.

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

See, the fact that people all over the world are fine without an air gap makes me think we don't need one. But...arrgh.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Love the air switch. Doesn't clutter the wall and is easier to reach. I have them on both sinks. Hate the air gap. I told my rough plumber to do a high loop. He, like he did with so many other things, screwed up and forgot. I put in an air gap in to pass inspection then switched for a soap dispenser. Now I have a Miele and don't need it any way. My state, lagging behind the times, is still strict with air gaps. If you can get away without one, i say do it! Those things are ugly!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Have had the air switch in last two kitchens and wouldn't do anything else now. As for the air gap, we have one because code requires it here, and I don't even notice it. It's chrome to match the faucet and air gap.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Air switches are really nice. Get one. Not the cheap one at Ace hardware--at least get an insinkerator one that isn't super plasticky.

Air gap caps are super easy to change. They pop off for cleaning so if you don't like it and want to get a nicer looking one, pop it off. No tools required. My old kitchen, preremodel, had a black Franke one. It was from the 80s and it was...errr...is one solid chunk of metal. I have it at my new house because I forgot to get a new one when I remodeled the old house and the one in my new house matched the house I was trying to sell and I swapped them to save a trip to the store and anyway the point is...

An air switch button is a commitment. Get a decent one. AN air GAP is a commitment but the part that shows isn't. You can get a new one every year if you want and installation takes less time than cleaning it.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I've seen these things mentioned before but didn't grasp it..so the air switch replaces the wall switch...hmmm..

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Or you could get a batch-feed garbage disposal. I could barely reach our switch and didn't want to move it, so I got Insinkerator's Cover Control, which I found out about here on GW. It turns on by placing the magnetic cover into the drain opening and turning it.

• rahull
    9 years ago

Can someone tell me what an air gap is?

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rahull - From wikipedia: "A common use of the term "air gap" in home plumbing refers to a fixture that provides back-flow prevention for an installed dishwasher. This "air gap" is seen above the countertop as a small cylindrical fixture mounted parallel with the faucet. Below the countertop, the drain pipe of the dishwasher feeds the "top" of the air gap, and the "bottom" of the air gap is plumbed into the sink drain below the basket, or into a garbage disposal unit. When installed and maintained properly, the air gap works as described above, and prevents drain water from the sink from backing up into the dishwasher, possibly contaminating dishes.[2] Water flowing from the fixture into the sink indicates a need for maintenance or repair.[3]"

(see image I posted above).

fori - Good point about the air gap cover being easily replaceable. And thanks for the tip that the insinkerator air switches aren't bad. That's what I was looking to hear.

may_flowers - thanks for the tip about the disposal, but our current one is about 10 months old could possibly be the only thing mechanical that's moving to the new kitchen.

breezy - same here with the state and thus the contractors statements. My DW will be a Miele and it's been explained to me that I really don't need one with it. But if the inspectors don't know and the contractors don't know...still undecided.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I've only heard of air gaps in CA. Never anywhere else I lived, and in none of those places did the dishwasher ever have any problems, at least not related to one of those things. I say if you're able to get it by the inspectors more power to you. If not, I guess it's a call to the granite place and $150 to add a hole.

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

Love the air switch. Last 2 kitchens with them. Next kitchen will have one come "hell or high water." worth $150 to me, but that seems like a crazy price to ask for a hole.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Your GC doesn't know?! Make him call/visit the permitting authority and ask. Give him the DW model and a copy of the install sheet (I think that's where Miele puts the info) explaining why how the Miele works negates the need for an air gap. Make him earn his money by finding this out for you since he should know. If he won't do it, go in yourself armed with the info. Write down what was told to you and by whom along with the date you visited. That way when inspection is done, you have back-up if inspector questions it. Sorry....I GC'd my whole house reno so I feel the homeowner is entitled to know the laws.

Side note: My municipality supposedly enforces the make-up air requirement, like most states do, for range hoods over 400cfm. I put in a 600cfm beauty and no one along the inspection path ever asked me about it at all, other than to admire it. I was a bit worried, but it turned out fine. I was really quite shocked at how little the final inspector looked around and enforced code. My island outlets weren't to code, but the inspector never once looked at them. It was a cursory 5 minute glance through my house, and he was gone. Long story short--your inspector might not even care about the air gap.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

AIR GAP:

Cal_Quail -- it is a California thing. We love our regulations here, even the outdated ones.

I told my GC we were skipping this thing and he was to switch out for a soap dispenser after inspection. Thought it was odd request, but was fine with it. I don't think anyone else needs these things anymore since the invention of the loop thing. Somehow we are not reading about lots of flooded kitchens and cries of "I wish I had an air gap!" The last kitchen reno I did in 2009 in my last house I did not install an air gap and had no issues with the D/W (was not a big enough job so no permits). BTW, that nice looking one is pure highway robbery...what is the markup--1000%??

AIR SWITCH:

We are getting one. Sink and D/W are on the island so I otherwise have to reach down under the cabinet to activate the garbage disposal. I just chose the one with high ratings on Amazon.

This post was edited by ChrisInSD on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 1:15

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

It's not just a California thing. I'm in Washington. It's a Washington thing, too.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Huh, weird. I lived there for 5 years too and never saw one at home (Seattle and Renton). That's not to say that whoever built the apartments and condos I was in were supposed to have a bump out above the countertop and didn't. It was around the last housing bubble.

• Ross Chapman
    4 years ago

is there a device that combines air gap and air switch in a single hole?

• frodaddi
    4 years ago

The thing I like best about an air switch is that with a wall switch, half the time when I am intending to turn on the light I hit the disposal switch my mistake. Air switch eliminates that possibility.

Plus if it's on an island the air switch is better looking than a regular light switch on the side of the cabinetry.

• sushipup1
    4 years ago

"is there a device that combines air gap and air switch in a single hole?"

An air gap os unnecessary with a properly installed DW. But if your local code requires it, do what most others do. Install it for the final inspection and after that,, replace with an air switch.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

When you operate a light switch your hands are dry and clean usually. When you operate a disposal switch your hands are wet and gunky. Better to keep those hands in the sink, please:

Ironically, I had to buy and install that disposal switch. They claimed they didn't order three holes.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville